10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    No, absorbing them means you are essentially slapping the Blizzard logo on it, and once it becomes a Blizzard service all kinds of demands will arise. Don't kid yourself.

I mean, did your opinion on Blizzard change when individuals like Ghostcrawler left or Ion Hazzikostas and the other hardcore raiders and theorycrafters started working for Blizzard? No, it's all the same company to you.
    I actually felt pretty strongly about those topic and have talked about them when they were current happenings. My opinion is not shared with yours.

Just like people made *DEMANDS* with nostralius? Nobody demanded anything.. most people were just happy to be able to play vanilla as most people have been requesting blizzard support for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    But it's as easy as downloading the client from Pirate Bay and just set up the mangos emulator! A few tweaks and voila! Instant legacy server at your fingertips.
    If you've ever done that; you would know how shitty it actually is. Not to mention that even if it was perfect; you would be the only person on it. No dungeons, no auction house, no guilds, no raids. It would still be better than standing in a garrison, but not even close to an authentic vanilla WoW experience.

it feels like this world of nostalrius was taken by the legion, so tragic

Quote Originally Posted by goatscz View Post
    What a stupid statement. Blizzard subs are way down. There are servers with no playerbase. People have been up in arms since Cataclysm about the direction this game is going, but the problem is Blizzard won't listen to their customers.

It has nothing to do with their ability to run servers.
    They listen, that's why we have WoD

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    If you've ever done that; you would know how shitty it actually is. Not to mention that even if it was perfect; you would be the only person on it. No dungeons, no auction house, no guilds, no raids. It would still be better than standing in a garrison, but not even close to an authentic vanilla WoW experience.
    Methinks sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    QFT... sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goatscz View Post
    What a stupid statement. Blizzard subs are way down. There are servers with no playerbase. People have been up in arms since Cataclysm about the direction this game is going, but the problem is Blizzard won't listen to their customers.

It has nothing to do with their ability to run servers.
    Not to mention how bad it looks on blizzard. If a small group a people can maintain a legacy server why couldn't blizzard? It's just abysmal to think about.
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    And Blizzard should offer "AS IS" with a sub fee, they want it so bad, give it to them, charge them money for old broken shit, if they cry take it away.

Requirements: The game, with all current expansions, and sub. Legacy offered as a cherry on top.

I'd love to watch this legacy boat sink.
    You can't charge a sub and then not provide a decent customer service. It would essentially blow a massive hole in the company's reputation and create even more drama.
    That's why they aren't going to step in this quicksand trap idea of legacy servers. Their customer service can barely handle live WoW, they aren't suicidal to be piling even more shit on top of it.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    One of the main arguments against vanilla servers is the cost and complexity of recreating the experience for a reasonable cost.

This is infinitely more complex.
    Yeah I'm not sure why people think its just a light switch that just can be turned on with a flick of wrist. Its unfortunate people can't see past their own personal desires and look at the bigger picture.

I am in full agreement with this. So much this. Oh my god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    werent the guys who made WoW Everquest players and wanted to make the MMO they wanted I remember that from a retrospective of Game trailers so yea they should make their own MMO but yea work is hard and we have Wildstar to see how well a "hardcore" mmo does in todays market.
    Was Wildstar hardcore? I didn't play it beyond the first couple zones.

Why would a new mmo have to be hardcore? Why would it have to a WoW clone? Why would it have to be a traditional mmo?

I think if those people from Nostalrius got together and really analyzed what it was about vanilla that they really liked and made a game from there. It wouldn't look like WoW at all. Because it was never the mechanics or the state of the game that made vanilla great. I am not saying I didn't enjoy vanilla because I did. But it wasn't because the content was "ermahgerd ermaazeng" it was because of who I played with. If I could play with those people TODAY in WoD, in Chess, in fucking tiddlywinks I would have fun. For the most part it isn't any fault of Blizzard's that those people don't play anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jencsik View Post
    So you are effectively smoke screening good questions with a EULA because you have the moral high ground. When in reality it does nothing for the state of the game ot ignore the community.
    You really think Blizzard would hire people that were running an illegal server? They sent a Cease and Desist order not a "Hey you guys wanna shut that down plz and if you aren't doing anything....wanna come work for us?! PARTY!!!" Blizzard would never hire those goons. Good lord.

Not to mention how bad it looks on blizzard. If a small group a people can maintain a legacy server why couldn't blizzard? It's just abysmal to think about.
    People have been up in arms since vanilla. If a legacy server is released, people will be up in arms that their exact patch isn't released.

People will always be up in arms. Blizzard attempts to address it by moving forward, not backward.

Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    everyone who played on nost would pay to have it back... we didnt play because it was free we played because we wanted the world of warcraft we used to know back.. the game that inspired community not destroyed it.
    That is pure bullshit, and you know it. They could not even get people to pay for their own server and they were asking for, what? $400 i total?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup because

millions > thousands

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Because the creators of Nostalrius didn't work with a Blizzard product. They worked with an unofficial emulator based on source code that was leaked/stolen from Blizzard way back (in 2004, I think?). Bringing Nostalrius' creators into the fold would require training them to work with the official tools and adjusting them to the development culture inside Blizzard, which would add a lot of time and money to the development costs. Plus, we don't even know if the folks who ran Nostalrius would even pass a proper job interview at Blizzard, or whether they'd be willing to move away from Europe and over to the US (where Blizzard's development studio is).

A less direct reason is that walking up to the guys who were running your game illegally and offering them a job is terrible precedent. It validates the efforts of people setting up private servers, because "hey, if Nostalrius did it, why shouldn't I try it myself?!". Private servers stop being seen as illegal enterprises and start getting the image of being pools of possible talent to be hired by Blizzard, which I'm 100% is the last thing Blizzard wants them to be.

No idea. I'm not against Classic/Vanilla/Retro servers. I just don't think it's going to happen, for purely monetary reasons. Classic servers would be the equivalent of creating a brand new MMO. The only thing they'd be able to reuse are the art assets, and even some of those have changed/become very dated over the years. That involves some seriously big development costs, plus the maintenance costs. Because any official server, Classic or not, would absolutely require a support infrastructure behind it with GMs, customer support, programmers and all that jazz.
    Thank you for your response. I can actually agree with your counter points, one of the few good arguments I've seen without saying..well it's illegal. You elaborated really nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Everyone? You sure about that?
    ya.. considering everyone who i talked with about it while on the nost server said they would.. i would be inclined to say that if not everyone.. atleast 98% of the playerbase of nost would pay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    everyone who played on nost would pay to have it back... we didnt play because it was free we played because we wanted the world of warcraft we used to know back.. the game that inspired community not destroyed it.
    If community is destroyed because the game is improved... that community wasn't much of a community to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I also remember MS explaining that the Start button was a thing of the past, how the new interface would be much better and the like. And MS certainly had also made a lot of studies and had a lot of metrics about user behaviour, and had vastly more resources to put into it all than Blizzard ever had.

We all know how Windows 8 turned out.
    Disregarding the fact that adding one button back into the program, while quite complex on its own, is nowhere near close to re-implementing software that is over ten years old, which was designed to work with hardware rendered obsolete many years ago, Blizzard has shown that they listen to player feedback. We were not supposed to have flying at all in Warlords of Draenor, and the fact that the game world's skies were not designed to support flying, so much so they had to re-design the skies to remove invisible walls, but Blizzard listened and put flying back in, going through the trouble of removing all invisible barriers in the skies and removing flight bugs as well.

To say that Blizzard doesn't listen to player feedback is, at best, dishonest.

Thank you for your response. I can actually agree with your counter points, one of the few good arguments I've seen without saying..well it's illegal. You elaborated really nicely.
    I, zorkuus, corebit, and 3 others have said this at least 3 times each, but whatever dood.