10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    Holy Shit.

Every intelligent person that ever lived is now rolling in their graves.

If I make my own game that includes World of Warcraft characters, am I really ripping off Blizzard and WoW?

I mean that is exactly what Lilith Games did, so they didn't rip off WoW, right?

Seriously think about this. Think about the idiocy of the statement you made.
    They are being sued by Blizzard so your argument is invalid.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/b...charge/0204776

Deleted
    Holy Shit.

Every intelligent person that ever lived is now rolling in their graves.

If I make my own game that includes World of Warcraft characters, am I really ripping off Blizzard and WoW?

I mean that is exactly what Lilith Games did, so they didn't rip off WoW, right?

Seriously think about this. Think about the idiocy of the statement you made.
    Ahhahaaahahahhahahaaahhhahahahaaahahahaaahahhaahahaaha

also kek

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I get that the question miight be so derp no one considered answering it
    Emulators usually have quite a few problems:
    - worse performance than native Software
    - more prone to bugs (due to an additional layer of software)

The other thing is nobody knows what hardware or OS is being used.
    Are both sides using Linux servers? windows? what databases?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    But again, that is just me assuming.
    A fair argument. I think the emulator would get more playtesting and bug-control if Blizzard didn't shut it down hue hue hue. Personally I'd be offering it on a disclaimed "What you see is what you get" mentality, and do the whole standard GM copy/paste responses of "We're glad you've elected to play on our Legacy (tm) servers, and hope you are enjoying the full authentic vanilla experience, warts and all" in reply to 99.9% of any tickets But I guess Blizz wouldn't want to do that. On paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgaron View Post
    One thing I can understand on Blizzard behaviour - they don't want to distract how lore of WoW is going and developing. I fully understand that their research team have some metrix about "how represent the plot of WoW to the community".
    But what I can't understand and accept is "You think you do, but you don't" (c) rubbish strategy and how they incorporate with their own fan base
    Well that is one problem with taking a singular quote from someone and making it a #hashtag crusade. Some of the points that were made after that quote made a little sense but overall in the heat of the moment it was a REALLY poor choice to say it that way and not back it up with some real meat as to why it isn't a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cevera View Post

The other thing is nobody knows what hardware is being used.
    Yeah quite a lot of questions most of us wouldn't be able to answer. And that is before we even get to the real meat that Blizz is highly unlikely to hire or accept as Volunteers people running an illegal server infringing on Blizzard's IP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Field of dreams huh? If you build it, they will come?

You have no data on how much interest is actually there. You have even less data on how many people would actually stick it out and play long enough before getting burnt out.

You guys like to throw out shit like "I bet there is even more interest out there" and "I have a ton of friends that would come back" its all unverifiable, speculative, and baseless.

Do you have any data? Yourself? Please point out me to some data where it tells "NO LEGACY SERVERS ARE A BAD IDEA"

I do have some data

150k active players (logged in last 10 days, which is VERY conservative for active players)
    Google trends can be indicative of something .. https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=vanilla%20WoW
    Many popular youtubers came out and said Yeah, vanilla servers could actually work!
    This thread, and many other threads here , on reddit, and on other MMO sites

What data do you want? Nostalrius was hella overpopulated. During the peak hours you couldn't login because so many people were trying to log in. 13-14K at peak, with more than THAT trying to log in (and failing...)

Dare i remind you that there are MMOs that have like 100k active players that are F2P and still get updates?

Vanilla WoW servers could easily top that multiple times. And you wouldn't even have to update it. (For a good while, atleast).

Just please tell me, what data do i have to acquire, so i can convince blizzard that legacy servers are a good idea.

Hell, RETAIL WoW could have only 100k active subscriptions and still be fine. There is absolutely no reason why legacy servers would be a failure.

The code is most likely there. The work is all done. The only thing that blizzard has to do is update some of the code (which might be a hassle, especially with bnet) But HEY, THAT'S what coders do.
    Last edited by mmoc7f3035b6ae; 2016-04-13 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    If they aren't blizzard employees its not under blizzards control - this has a load of possible negatives tied to it and why it's most business outright avoid getting in such a position.
    If they are blizzard employees it has to be paid - ergo the dozens of gm's for a single server all need a wage, and the server is no longer profitable, the long term requirement for profitability will not be met because people dont stay on these servers long enough.

@AeneasBK blizzard still has a reputation for some of the highest quality games in the industry - that includes SC2, Hearthstone, and the only blemish was Diablo III's release. You may consider it subpar, but outside of the blizzardverse it's far above average.
    Someone said earlier in this Thread that China WoW is hosted by a Third-Party, does anyone know if they are using the same Servers, Servercode and so on?

If thats not the case then i could surely imagine them giving the License for Vanilla to another studio, probably more professional than the Nost Staff if they dont want to reduce the cost to a minimum. (i would still like to see the Nost Staff included, they seemed to have alot of passion about it, wich would also reduce the negative PR abit)

A fair argument. I think the emulator would get more playtesting and bug-control if Blizzard didn't shut it down hue hue hue. Personally I'd be offering it on a disclaimed "What you see is what you get" mentality, and do the whole standard GM copy/paste responses of "We're glad you've elected to play on our Legacy (tm) servers, and hope you are enjoying the full authentic vanilla experience, warts and all" in reply to 99.9% of any tickets But I guess Blizz wouldn't want to do that. On paper.
    But I don't think Blizz would do a "What you see is what you get" mentality. Blizz is usually pretty prideful about releasing things with as much quality as they can. Not saying it always works mind you, but that is usually their intent. I think people would get pretty pissed if they were on Vanilla and getting lesser customer service than people on Live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh we are back to to the Warcraft ripped off Warhammer bit are we?

Orcs: As early as Tolkiens work from the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings 1937-1949.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

Green Skinned Horde: Princess of Mars 1912
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Princess_of_Mars

Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevera View Post

The other thing is nobody knows what hardware is being used.
    Fair enough, I might have to concede that this goes into technical areas I'm just too ignorant to comment on. But considering the experiences I had on the emulators I was using/am using, I think Blizzard could certainly "get away with it" in as much as unless someone pointed out via datamining or w/e that it was an emulator, most (read: nearly ALL) people wouldn't notice. Hence all of the Nost players who didn't even realise they were playing on an emulator.

One could argue that "isn't professional enough" for Blizzard. But I don't know that many of the "players" care or even agree on what "proessional" means (See: division over community manager responses to derp headed kiddies in the community )

Thank you for making an account to respond tho Well you made it in 2012, but still
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Burts View Post
    Do you have any data? Yourself? Please point out me to some data where it tells "NO LEGACY SERVERS ARE A BAD IDEA"
    None of us have data on it. Blizzard isn't likely to share said data. All we know is that they've said multiple times that they do not want to do it, with as recent as Nov 2015. Maybe their stance will change on it in the future but all we can do is speculate on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post
    Someone said earlier in this Thread that China WoW is hosted by a Third-Party, does anyone know if they are using the same Servers, Servercode and so on?

If thats not the case then i could surely imagine them giving the License for Vanilla to another studio, probably more professional than the Nost Staff if they dont want to reduce the cost to a minimum. (i would still like to see the Nost Staff included, they seemed to have alot of passion about it, wich would also reduce the negative PR abit)
    That's a requirement by the chinese government. China gets its own releases with changed models to comply with their laws on corpse exposure etc. It's all very shoddily done but it is altered.

They are also a comparable market to Americas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    But I don't think Blizz would do a "What you see is what you get" mentality. Blizz is usually pretty prideful about releasing things with as much quality as they can. Not saying it always works mind you, but that is usually their intent. I think people would get pretty pissed if they were on Vanilla and getting lesser customer service than people on Live.
    Yeah I don't buy this argument any more. Maybe pre - Diablo 3. Since then I think Heart of the Swarm is the only relatively finished product they have released. Hearthstone maybe but it was full of bugs and not supported on plenty of platforms before they ended beta for that sweet sweet customer $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post

I'm not sure it would reduce negative PR (if they even care about the PR blowback from protecting their IP). It could generate more negative PR from large media outlets that a group running an illegal server got a job. It of course could generate positive feedback. It really depends on the spin on the story.

But I'd say if Blizz was to ever actually make classic servers that they do it with quality people and not people hosting an illegal server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    They are being sued by Blizzard so your argument is invalid.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/b...charge/0204776
    "It's ok when Blizzard does it."

Yeah I don't buy this argument any more. Maybe pre - Diablo 3. Since then I think Heart of the Swarm is the only relatively finished product they have released. Hearthstone maybe but it was full of bugs and not supported on plenty of platforms before they ended beta for that sweet sweet customer $$.
    True things have changed a bit and that is something that would be considered. I still think Blizz would at least ATTEMPT high quality on a product, even moreso if it was dealing with WoW because that is their flagship IP. Not the biggest moneymaker but the one that really got them going in the MMO-age.

Not supported on a lot of platforms? Are games not allowed to release individually? Like... MOST games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

"Whoever has the more expensive legal team wins"

Kinda the case in every media

Why are you guys even arguing that in a thread about a PS? Why not create a new thread and debate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Not supported on a lot of platforms? Are games not allowed to release individually? Like... MOST games.
    Yeah okay, I'll concede Hearthstone But basically everything else has been a paid for beta test from the public