10+ Year Old Account
    On the bright side of things, maybe this means that more players will come to Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharum View Post
    I don't like those people on this forum consistently whining about how Vanilla was so much better than current WoW and blah blah blah, but Blizzard fanboys here are being so much more pathetic. I'm currently subbed and never played on private servers, but that made me want to play on a private. Hope that the private server community stand up to those greedy bastards and keep up with new servers.
    Well, Nost is making all of their code open source, so there's gotta be someone out there willing to take up the reins.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Enforcing
    I see that now at least there are a few of us with some sense in this thread.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    It's not just players they have to consider. They have to consider their investors interests. Hey guys should we update graphics, fix bugs and maintain equipment for a game we made 20 years ago or should we expand the ip some more adding more value to it? Guess which one the investors pick? This should be an easy one.
    Stupid move since playing vanilla has increased my interest to keep playing wow and possibly legion. Now that blizzard has put a stop to that I will be trying Black Desert and maybe a couple other games. I'm not the only current subscriber I know who feels this way and this move is alienating many past and possibly future blizzard customers. I wont be purchasing any more tokens for my wow subscriptions now, many who play on nost are talking complete boycott of blizz products and its understandable. The love the original game and want what blizzard refuses to offer, even if it doesn't make total financial sense for them to do it. Blizzard throughout its life has been proud of its past games, people still play diablo 2, they just released a patch for it on March 10th!

"It’s been a long time coming, but today we’re releasing 1.14a for Diablo II.

This update focuses on system glitches introduced by modern operating systems. In related news, you can finally retire those old Mac PowerPCs. Included with the update is a shiny new installer for OSX.

We’ve also begun working to improve our cheat-detection and hack-prevention capabilities. There’s still work to be done, but we’re making improvements every day.

There is still a large Diablo II community around the world, and we thank you for continuing to play and slay with us. This journey starts by making Diablo II run on modern platforms, but it does not end there. See you in Sanctuary, adventurers."

Does that make financial sense for them to keep developing a game that old that hardly anyone plays. Their most popular game is one you cant play anymore, of course there is demand for it. Way more demand than for diablo 2, and I have serious doubts about the financial aspect playing much weight for a very small project for a very large company.

i have the very unpopular opinion that private server hosts and the people who play on them should be fined.

do something illegal then you should be punished.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Well, Nost is making all of their code open source, so there's gotta be someone out there willing to take up the reins.
    Always will be, always have been.

This isn't a new thing, just Nost was the first server to actually go from the seedy backwoods of you-know-where to Twitch itself.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine the outrage and tears when live servers will shut down. Oh my god i wish i'll be alive when it happens
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That's the price people pay for taking someone's intellectual property and use it. They should know better and Vanilla for the love of the cosmos...was not as great as you think it is.
    The amount of people who played there and the servers popularity disagree with you. But hey, get rid of one head, 2 more will pop.

Quote Originally Posted by americandavey View Post
    You have no clue on the logistics of opening a legacy server. The manpower and resources to update old code to work with battle.net and all its features. People went to private servers because they DON'T want to pay for a subscription and that isn't going to change. Are people going to pay $15 a month for something that will never see bug fixes, no new content because its Legacy server, hours or days waiting for a CS staff to unstuck your character. How much resources do they pull away from their main team to do all of that and NOT piss off the people paying for new content?

I see people claim that they brought Vanilla WoW. Guess what there is no Vanilla WoW. It has been and continue to be World of Warcraft. As such they can sue operators of private servers and even hosting companies because every version of World of Warcraft and all its expansions is Blizzard's IP.
    Granted, it would obviously take work to integrate the old version into Battle.net, but why would you say "People went to private servers because they DON'T want to pay for a subscription and that isn't going to change"? Nostalrius was the most populated (private) Vanilla server, sure it was sub free but I'm certain the main reason is because it's a Vanilla server and that's exactly what some players want.

- "Are people going to pay $15 a month for something that will never see bug fixes, no new content because its Legacy server, hours or days waiting for a CS staff to unstuck your character. How much resources do they pull away from their main team to do all of that and NOT piss off the people paying for new content?"

What's your point? Are you saying that's how it would actually be? Because if so the one without a clue is you. Blizzard won't provide such a mediocre service where players "will never see bug fixes", "hours and days waiting for a CS staff" and charge $15 a month for it. Yes they would obviously have to pull away employees from their main development team or hire more developers.

- "I see people claim that they brought Vanilla WoW. Guess what there is no Vanilla WoW. It has been and continue to be World of Warcraft. As such they can sue operators of private servers and even hosting companies because every version of World of Warcraft and all its expansions is Blizzard's IP."

People buy a license to play their game, and they have the right to update/change whatever they want on their game. Yes, Vanilla WoW no longer exists, so, why would they bother to close Nostalrius? I thought private server players wouldn't by a sub so wouldn't that rule them out for potential costumers?

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    Well yeah, making a point and building opinion on subjects on a public forum can be so devastating if you look stupid to a few individuals there. Same goes for stating vanilla is included in the battlechest bundle I guess
    it could if you look stupid to a few individuals. If you look stupid to every single individual with an iq above 20 by saying something as stupid as fuck as we kinda own the intellectual properties of vanilla wow god damn. But you love being told how stupid as fuck what you said was. Also you go ahead and be confident that I can't fix your stupid with the parts of vanilla being sold bit. We both agreed i'm right, and so i ignored it because any further because i have 0 interest in fixing your stupid, my entire interest is replying to every reply of yours by stating how stupid as fuck what you said was.

Wait so, if i were to take a hammer and smash my wow cds, as well as give out the parts for free to my friends wouldn't i technically be modifying/distributing the game?? Will the FBI smash my door and take me to court??
    Since blizzard owns those cds i bought(not rented) couldn't they sue me for property damage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    The amount of people who played there and the servers popularity disagree with you. But hey, get rid of one head, 2 more will pop.
    Hail Hydra!

Now back to lurking I go....

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well, that's what happens when you steal intellectual property and use it
    Yup, awesome job by Blizzard. Fuck I am happy.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

For those who own the game, I find private servers to be a bit of a grey area. If you have a software license, you should be able to use that software for personal use.
    I feel like as long as everyone involved in the private server, end users included, own a copy of the game (including appropriate xpacs), and provided no profit is being made along the lines, you should be in the green legally.

Not that that was the case with Nostralius.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ah , i wanted to start leveling there this weekend. derp.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Keywords: "Fairly certain"

I don't think anyone in their right mind would willingly choose to play on a server where 10% of the quests are bugged/nonfunctional, the bosses are half scripted, and there are a plethora of bugs, when there is an official version available where all of that is fixed.

Of all the private servers I played, ALL of them had tons of bugs, bad/incomplete scripting, lag/crash-prone servers, etc...I don't think anyone would choose that, over an official server with no bugs, 100% complete scripting, and no lag/crashes.

Hence, official Legacy realms would be much preferred over the current private servers.
    You would be surprised how much some people are willing to put up with for a product that is free. How do you think the shittiest games imaginable are able to keep hundreds of thousands of players? Because they're F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    Stupid move since playing vanilla has increased my interest to keep playing wow and possibly legion. Now that blizzard has put a stop to that I will be trying Black Desert and maybe a couple other games. I'm not the only current subscriber I know who feels this way and this move is alienating many past and possibly future blizzard customers. I wont be purchasing any more tokens for my wow subscriptions now, many who play on nost are talking complete boycott of blizz products and its understandable. The love the original game and want what blizzard refuses to offer, even if it doesn't make total financial sense for them to do it. Blizzard throughout its life has been proud of its past games, people still play diablo 2, they just released a patch for it on March 10th!

"It’s been a long time coming, but today we’re releasing 1.14a for Diablo II.

This update focuses on system glitches introduced by modern operating systems. In related news, you can finally retire those old Mac PowerPCs. Included with the update is a shiny new installer for OSX.

We’ve also begun working to improve our cheat-detection and hack-prevention capabilities. There’s still work to be done, but we’re making improvements every day.

There is still a large Diablo II community around the world, and we thank you for continuing to play and slay with us. This journey starts by making Diablo II run on modern platforms, but it does not end there. See you in Sanctuary, adventurers."

Does that make financial sense for them to keep developing a game that old that hardly anyone plays. Their most popular game is one you cant play anymore, of course there is demand for it. Way more demand than for diablo 2, and I have serious doubts about the financial aspect playing much weight for a very small project for a very large company.
    The difference is is that managing Diablo 2 at this point is a a 5-10 person job at max. Having servers run on the old archetype (Which has PLENTY of security flaws which people tend to forget) will require a lot of people, especially with how much of a grander scale a WoW server runs on opposed to the Diablo 2 server. They don't even have the old WoW servers anymore, remember they gave a lot of them away in contests? The servers that ran that code simply don't exist anymore. That's not counting the people who'd be put in charge of player support, account management, the bug team, game masters, and plenty of others. It financially doesn't make sense to put that many people on something that will receive no content updates. Look at the subscriber falls during content lulls in EVERY EXPANSION. The only reason they never really cared was that they knew people would come back for the new stuff. How many people will continue clearing Naxx 2 years down the road? People throw fits when they have content for more than 6 months on live. It doesn't make financial sense.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    Granted, it would obviously take work to integrate the old version into Battle.net, but why would you say "People went to private servers because they DON'T want to pay for a subscription and that isn't going to change"? Nostalrius was the most populated (private) Vanilla server, sure it was sub free but I'm certain the main reason is because it's a Vanilla server and that's exactly what some players want.

- "Are people going to pay $15 a month for something that will never see bug fixes, no new content because its Legacy server, hours or days waiting for a CS staff to unstuck your character. How much resources do they pull away from their main team to do all of that and NOT piss off the people paying for new content?"

What's your point? Are you saying that's how it would actually be? Because if so the one without a clue is you. Blizzard won't provide such a mediocre service where players "will never see bug fixes", "hours and days waiting for a CS staff" and charge $15 a month for it. Yes they would obviously have to pull away employees from their main development team or hire more developers.

- "I see people claim that they brought Vanilla WoW. Guess what there is no Vanilla WoW. It has been and continue to be World of Warcraft. As such they can sue operators of private servers and even hosting companies because every version of World of Warcraft and all its expansions is Blizzard's IP."

People buy a license to play their game, and they have the right to update/change whatever they want on their game. Yes, Vanilla WoW no longer exists, so, why would they bother to close Nostalrius? I thought private server players wouldn't by a sub so wouldn't that rule them out for potential costumers?
    Well, @americandavey quoted blizz, that's what they said about bug fixing and releasing new content for Vanilla version of the game, if they had one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    No you didn't. You bought a temporary access key. What part of that do people not understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    You didn't buy WoW - you don't own it. You bought the rights to play it, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Um.....

Yes it is. As far as "if you disobey this, we have every right to revoke your access to our game."
    What you guys don't understand is that the terms of service are not legally binding. Yes they can ban me and yes I wouldn't be able to play after that but they can not disallow me from A) installing the game and B) modifying the game as I see fit. I own the game but they charge me to access it. That's the key difference.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M1r4g3 View Post
    Wait so, if i were to take a hammer and smash my wow cds, as well as give out the parts for free to my friends wouldn't i technically be modifying/distributing the game?? Will the FBI smash my door and take me to court??
    Since blizzard owns those cds i bought(not rented) couldn't they sue me for property damage?
    I assume you are trying to be snarky. In case you are being serious I will explain it to you like you are a 5 year old. The CDs you bought are like a key to a door - you don't own the door, you are just leasing the key for as long as you want to pay for it. If you want to destroy your key and give a piece to your friends to make friendship bracelets, that's totally within your right. You never have, nor will you ever own that door.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    What you guys don't understand is that the terms of service are not legally binding. Yes they can ban me and yes I wouldn't be able to play after that but they can not disallow me from A) installing the game and B) modifying the game as I see fit. I own the game but they charge me to access it. That's the key difference.
    But intellectual property law is. /thread
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.