Not sure why people are still debating all these issues. Fact: a group of people came together and plagiarized another companies work and made money off of it. Another way to look at it: they STOLE another companies property and made a profit off of it. Illegal, plain and simple.
    As far as a Legacy server idea goes, I understand people wanting one, it's fun playing a game the way you liked playing it. It's fun being nostalgic, hell, I just purchased a game system that came out in the 80's I grew up with to relive some of those old memories. The problem is this: WoWis a game that is continually evolving, it's an unfinished product that has evolved over time, sometimes good and sometimes bad. However, the comparison is this, the old retro games are done, they are a finished product, and never subjected to change.
    Blizzard would have to either take away from the current dev team to make and then maintain a Legacy style server, or hire on more people to run it. The issues with either is obvious. The former holds back the evolution of the game and requires more time for new content, while the latter costs the company money. As multiple people stated, there is no way to prove how many people would sign up and continue playing, even with a sub fee, to justify the costs of running new servers.
    All in all, I can appreciate people wanting something like this, but the chances of it ever happening is almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    That was before any of this recent nost drama, the demand for legacy servers has increased.
    No it hasn't, the noise has increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    No kidding. The noise is pretty extreme this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Vanilla wasn't all that difficult, just incredibly time consuming. There were plenty of bosses that a simple dispel addon would make simple and most bosses only had 2 or 3 mechanics. It was harder then because everyone was new to it, but as we saw with the return of Molten Core it was easy as hell. Only bosses difficult there were Ragnaros and Domo, and barely that. It wasn't until BWL where bosses got difficult, and only half of them had any real difficulty. You put everyone now into those instances though and they will blaze through it much faster because all the strats are there and people are used to raiding. Only thing that took long was grinding enough fire resist to do those two raids, not to mention making enough Ony cloaks.

Just because something takes long doesn't mean it is difficult.

Yes the mechanics were easier until you got to AQ content and Nax. Do you really think the players at that level (who spent dozens of hours a week to afford to raid) didn't create or have addons that made it a bit easier to play? The fights had simple mechanics but it was within the realm of 40 mans. Meaning you had to move and coordinate well. Heck every single boss debuff in Nax 40 hit harder than Nax 25 man. If you were around for Nax 25 man you saw a ton of guild takes a few weeks to clear Nax 25 man and its nerfed state. Fights in TBC were not easy to boot and of course WOTLK had the best 25 man HM fight to that date (and for some after) LKHM. Don't get me started in healing, you had to play to be super efficent and that played its roll in making it hard too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Vanilla wasn't all that difficult, just incredibly time consuming. There were plenty of bosses that a simple dispel addon would make simple and most bosses only had 2 or 3 mechanics. It was harder then because everyone was new to it, but as we saw with the return of Molten Core it was easy as hell. Only bosses difficult there were Ragnaros and Domo, and barely that. It wasn't until BWL where bosses got difficult, and only half of them had any real difficulty. You put everyone now into those instances though and they will blaze through it much faster because all the strats are there and people are used to raiding. Only thing that took long was grinding enough fire resist to do those two raids, not to mention making enough Ony cloaks.

Just because something takes long doesn't mean it is difficult.
    Not entirely true, us veterans that played on nost found it challenging. So vanilla wasn't challenging, just because we were new at the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Blizzard would have to either take away from the current dev team to make and then maintain a Legacy style server, or hire on more people to run it. The issues with either is obvious. The former holds back the evolution of the game and requires more time for new content, while the latter costs the company money. As multiple people stated, there is no way to prove how many people would sign up and continue playing, even with a sub fee, to justify the costs of running new servers.
    Not necessarily true.

Blizzard has other options.

1. License vanilla to a third party. Collect a percentage of profits. Very little effort from Blizzard.
    2. Open Source "approved" server code, and let the community "go wild". We would see a ton of servers initially, but would coalesce into a few popular realms over time.

These are just a few options. There are others options that Blizzard could look into that would not require them to upfront all the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Fact: a group of people came together and plagiarized another companies work and made money off of it.
    Not saying i agree or disagree with the rest, but as far as i´m aware they didn´t make any money off it and even directed people to pay for the server cost and didn´t touch a cent. So, just pointing that out really.

Not entirely true, us veterans that played on nost found it challenging. So vanilla wasn't challenging, just because we were new at the game.
    Ok so you veterans weren't very good then. Vanilla would get steamrolled with today's players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cirdanx View Post
    Not saying i agree or disagree with the rest, but as far as i´m aware they didn´t make any money off it and even directed people to pay for the server cost and didn´t touch a cent. So, just pointing that out really.
    Someone still made money on it. Originally it was going to Nost and they turned around and gave it to the server host. Later they set up the donations to go direct to the host.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Ok so you veterans weren't very good then. Vanilla would get steamrolled with today's players.
    Join a vanilla server and find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone still made money on it. Originally it was going to Nost and they turned around and gave it to the server host. Later they set up the donations to go direct to the host.
    MMO-C is making money off this forum. What a bunch of freeloaders. Riding on the coattails of Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Thanks to social media, people that have never heard of nost or even private servers are brought in the conversation. And many welcome the idea of legacy servers.
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Almost 200,000 in the petition now, most impressive! Imagine Blizzard, all the cash you'd get setting up a Classic-client & server set. $15/month x 200,000= Yikes, that's a lot of cash!

Looking forward to seeing "60 Hunter LFG DM" all these years later.

Well, yes, a third party server host made money on it. But there is no law forbidding someone from renting a server What the poster said is factually wrong, as it was stating that they, Nost, made money by using Blizzards product. Honestly, i don´t think they would be that stupid to claim that, otherwise, if proofen wrong, they would be ripped to shreds in court (if they go to court at all which is a possibility). So i give them the benefit of doubt and believe it. From what i read, they were very open about it. As i said, i never played on that server. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (still in favor of an official one though)

Quote Originally Posted by Solarnova View Post
    Almost 200,000 in the petition now, most impressive! Imagine Blizzard, all the cash you'd get setting up a Classic-client & server set. $15/month x 200,000= Yikes, that's a lot of cash!

Oh so you think all of those sigs mean they'd pay 15 a month? And how long would they last? Ignoring the fact that a lot of those sigs are bogus.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you're just in denial lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cirdanx View Post
    Well, yes, a third party server host made money on it. But there is no law forbidding someone from renting a server What the poster said is factually wrong, as it was stating that they, Nost, made money by using Blizzards product. Honestly, i don´t think they would be that stupid to claim that, otherwise, if proofen wrong, they would be ripped to shreds in court (if they go to court at all which is a possibility). So i give them the benefit of doubt and believe it. From what i read, they were very open about it. As i said, i never played on that server. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (still in favor of an official one though)
    Well like I said at first Nost was taking donations directly. They just supposedly used that money on the server.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you're just in denial lol.
    You think Vanilla mechanics hold a candle to heroic/mythic raiding? Come on now. Hell even normal raiding might be on par with a lot of Vanilla's raids.

You don't think it's interesting how the petition went from 100k-ish to 200k shortly after people made it known you can sign multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post

*Ignores the fact that half the playerbase left at the start of a single expansion*
    and so they will in 7.0 and so they will in 8.0 and so they will in n,0 - just look at cyckles in diablo seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    You don't think it's interesting how the petition went from 100k-ish to 200k shortly after people made it known you can sign multiple times
    That and people signing up with silly names to show how much of a joke it was.

i guess some people are born as masochists who get of from having to spend over an hour to even for a group

- - - Updated - - -

Lets be clear here only the smallest percentage of players ever reached Nax let alone kill a boss and less so clear the zone. Heck Aq was also a huge cock block. Vanilla was easy up until the later part of Black Wing Lair and that was challeging. AQ and Nax were no jokes. Do you really think people where that bad that only a tenth of one percent completed all the raid content?