Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    More like, the first apple stand created green apples and bred them themselves, sold them for a time, then stopped offering them, then someone else stole some seeds and started growing them themselves.

Blizzard didn't find World of Warcraft's code inscribed on some stone tablet somewhere and picked the art assets off a tree. They made all of that themselves.
    They've said repeatedly they don't have the code for Vanilla anymore. The guys from Nostalrius made it themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    Your post shows ignorance. There is huge marketing behind Wow. Huge awareness. In all these posts (here, reddit and gamespot) you see people that didn't even know about Nostalrius. With proper marketing, it could be very popular.
    No, it can't.
    A never evolving PvE game cannot become popular.

Esp not if you ask a monthly fee for it. Look at all the complaints about content drought right now. Do you honestly believe it would look different on one of these classic servers after 2 years?

If so, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    ngl it may be related to the constant thinly veiled advertisements for said servers that appear quite frequently on this forum (and on the official forum as well, lol) where people 'almost jack off' as they wax poetically about the virtues of playing a game where paladins had to rebuff 40 people every 5 minutes

If you're gonna be obnoxious we're gonna feel some schadenfreude.
    So much this ^^. People have the right to talk about things they like, but when there have been so many posters on this forum & sometimes even on retail's trade chat about how the game has become horrible and vanilla was so glorious time after time again it gets really old after awhile. Thus, as a result, I take some humor in seeing the doomsayers' dreams of vanilla glory dashed. It would have been more tolerable if they weren't spouting as often as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    I'd be so angry at them stealing MY MONEY while swimming around in a pool filled with 100 dollar bills.
    Doesn't matter what they have, the people gave it to them, for the product they offered. When that product stopped offering them what they wanted in a game they quit playing. Success is hard to grasp I know, but you didn't give them the swimming pool full of money, millions of people did, and millions of people still do.

You play during vanilla? Let me guess day 1 alpha right? even if you played since launch to the release of TBC you have paid them like 400 dollars? Lol, smallest swimming pool ever!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They would fall no matter what, it's an old game. The only thing they can do at this point is reduce the rate of decline.

I really have no interest for these childish conspiracy theories.
    you mean like this?: https://www.worldofcorecraft.com/con...out-nostalrius

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Don't you have to set realmlist? Download a torrent of the game files? General population is reason for changes to WoW. Doubt they go back 10 years in time to a buggy, unbalanced game.
    I'm fairly sure that the "General population" are simply more interested in the official retail than privately run servers. Or will we soon be seeing people making claims how Classic, aside from taking "TRUE SKILL" to master classes and raids, also takes "TRUE SKILL" to setup...

Quote Originally Posted by CoReRoded View Post

4.What made Nost special amongst the thousands of other Private Servers?
    -Obviously, many will say "ohhhh you know, it's free, they're dodging the subscription fee" and all that type of stuff. First of all, if the players even wanted to dodge the subscription fee, wouldn't they be on a WoD Private Server instead? Doesn't that make some sense? The players from Nost did not dodge the subscription fee, but Blizzard's ignorance towards the idea of Legacy servers, and many other players do the same on different private servers, for example, those who enjoyed WotLK will be found on a PS with WotLK Xpac. Why Nost became so popular on the other side is that it was a Private Server, so free, offering the challenging environment from all the way back in Vanilla, with a community driven system, where the GMs/Devs actually listened to their playerbase and of course, being rather bug-free. The Devs did a rather great and extraordinary job on creating of this server.
    What WoD private servers? How could people prefer to go play something that doesn't exist? You're making shit up to justify your belief that Blizzard is some super arrogant and vain company that's holding vanilla servers back out of spite.

There's still no evidence that a significant amount of people are out there that are willing to pay to play for a classic server. Sorry. If Nost had charged even a dollar a month, its numbers would have plummeted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    They can't inflate numbers. It is illegal to report it as such. You literally are talking out of your butt when you type that crap.
    The numbers are inflated, because we are in the US. There are 5.4 million subs, but not in the US alone. That is counting ALL regions. KR/EU/CH/BZ/US/RU that is counting every region, there are 5.4 million sub.

ALSO. They count sub, based on criteria like gametime card, banned accounts with game time, free month accounts when you buy the base game or battle chest. It's inflated. Sorry, but there are surely ways to inflate many things, and still not lie about it. Entirely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    ngl it may be related to the constant thinly veiled advertisements for said servers that appear quite frequently on this forum (and on the official forum as well, lol) where people 'almost jack off' as they wax poetically about the virtues of playing a game where paladins had to rebuff 40 people every 5 minutes

If you're gonna be obnoxious we're gonna feel some schadenfreude.
    Lmao, wish I could fit your entire post in a sig.

This is exactly what happened with Runescape. They kept shutting down private legacy servers until finally they polled the players and enough people voted for them to open legacy servers. Now the RS2007 servers have more people than the current ones.

This is what Blizzard should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Don't you have to set realmlist? Download a torrent of the game files? General population is reason for changes to WoW. Doubt they go back 10 years in time to a buggy, unbalanced game.
    No you didn't have to set relamlist. Just download the game, and a lot of Privates are going to this option. It's the Streisand effect in fullswing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I wonder how many would play if those servers would cost 10$ each month...
    Count me in

Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    What WoD private servers? How could people prefer to go play something that doesn't exist? You're making shit up to justify your belief that Blizzard is some super arrogant and vain company that's holding vanilla servers back out of spite.

There's still no evidence that a significant amount of people are out there that are willing to pay to play for a classic server. Sorry. If Nost had charged even a dollar a month, its numbers would have plummeted.
    Take a moment and consult old friend google.com. It will tell you a rather big list of WoD Private Servers that are out there, they're shit, but they're out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How would dungeons and raids that have been around for 8 years be new? Hell, you can still run all of those dungeons and raids now on retail, except for original Naxx.
    Lol, whut?

And original Deadmines, Ragefire Chasm, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep, Scarlet Monastery.. Oh wait, EVERY SINGLE DUNGEON

Be fair
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I disagree with that heavily, if you have the slightest knowledge of what kind of numbers etc private servers rake in for how below the radar they are... especially on what was a true copy of a 10 year old game... it was absolutely insane that nost managed to rake in the amount of players that it did.

The game was seeing averages of 8k players active at a time with 13k players at peak. It had over 100k (I've heard some wildly varying numbers between 100 and 150k) active users and over 800k accounts made on it. That's massive especially considering it's only existed for a little over a year. That is about as successful as some other legit games are. Again if you've much experience with private servers this kind of sustained interest is far and away from insignificant.
    As I said before, Blizzard isn't going to be much interested in supporting something of this scale for a theoretical audience of a few hundred thousand. And that number is up to question if it costs extra to access it. I'm not saying that Nost wasn't successful. It was. That's probably why it got closed. And even given 800K registered accounts, after a year, the number of active accounts had dropped to 150K, a little under 20% retention over the course of a year for a free and reportedly well-run server. Blizzard will absolutely think that's not worth bothering about.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    https://en.nostalrius.org/

Well I will not be joining everyone in legion. This was a move by Blizzard to get people from when the game used to actually feel like an MMO to their piece of shit game they have now. Fuck I am angry.
    To you and all of the folks with your mindset which is "how dare blizzard" "greedy blizzard"...."they are scared a little operation could do so good without them that's why they closed it down"....and all that nonsense..

First - I get it you have lots of fun and that fun was ended so you are all very emotional and upset. Ok fine we are all humans we know how that is. But in some cases people have written very nasty about this issue (I think one loooooong write up even stated people that don't understand are "virgin morons")....I mean some people are breathing fire over this which is so outside of anything logical I can't understand the thought. Anyway because of how nasty and irrational some are being over this I therefore make the educated guess a lot of you are young folks, that would explain the immature reaction for one, second it would explain your complete ignorance of business law which leads to second point....

Second - Blizzard is fully justified 100% and is not even slightly in the wrong for shutting down Nostralius. They own the IP (Intellectual Property) of World of Warcraft, its their property. How does that alone not explain everything to the people raging? Well because of what I mentioned in the First part above -- emotional,immaturity and illogical thought.

Someone said "how was theft committed Nostralius didn't make money off it"..... That comment scared me....scared me that there's people so uneducated on an issue that they think theft is only when there is a financial loss from one party off of another.. Theft is , in very simple terms "I own THIS, you took IT without my permission...." Legally that is theft. Note the example had NOTHING to do with you making money off of it at all.. simply it wasn't yours and you took it.

Anyone who holds this in a negative light against blizzard -- I'm sorry but those people are mindless, uneducated, immature idiots.

And that's all I have to say on the Nostralius issue.

PS. You folks do know that every single private server of WoW is illegal right? I mean do you at least understand that blizzard has never licensed, authorized or endorsed the use of their IP to be used by an independent entity to run WoW servers? Technically Blizzard could go through the internet tonight and have legal cause to shut down every private server in existence and they would be fully justified.
    Last edited by Mytheros; 2016-04-07 at 10:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No, it can't.

Esp not if you ask a monthly fee for it. Look at all the complaints about content drought right now. Do you honestly believe it would look different on one of these classic servers after 2 years?

People on live and on priv. servers are 2 different groups with different mentality. If it weren't true they would be all on live or priv servers instead of split.
    And to give an example for a game that is old and still alive: Counterstrike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Lmao, wish I could fit your entire post in a sig.
    Honestly that sentiment is absolutely genuine and I can totally respect it It's the "arguments based on ignorance" that (both sides) are adopting that makes this such a contentious issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Why is this topic over 200 pages long when in other threads, any sort of mention of private server would result in it being locked?

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No, it can't.

Yeah that is what I find amusing about people who think Vanilla WoW servers like Nost would sell. A CRAPLOAD of people complain about content drought, which I find justifiable, so why would a game with no updates to anything new have much success? Sure, these servers could expand to include TBC, Wotlk, and onward, but that still isn't new, thus the plague of no new content would still be overarching.

This also brings me to my next point about why Blizzard was smart about shutting this server down. Technically if a group of people running a private server were motivated and skilled enough they could thereotically extend private Vanillra servers to include other older expansions just right up to whatever expac was currently running. In essence private servers could have a free version of the game that only excluded the current expansion that was running, possibly even allowing characters from a private Vanilla to transfer to a private TBC, to a privite Wrath... you get the idea. Why would anyone think that Blizzard would keep even a particle of something like this happening in the near, or far, future. A free version of their game's expansions full of a community that doesn't officially support their own product?