Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Will Transhumanism Change Racism in the Future?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/will-...b_9631034.html

Despite decades of progress, racism and bigotry are still prevalent in the United States. Often, they even dominate the news in American media, like during the Baltimore riots or the Ferguson shooting. Movements like Black Lives Matter remind us that the society we live in still has many biases to be fought against, but that good work can be done to combat bigotry if people unite against it.

Despite this, the quest to find true equality in the world is about to get more complicated. It’s possible the ability to completely change skin color may arrive in the next 15-30 years. Like a chameleon, expect humans to literally change their skin color soon through coming technologies—most that will probably be based on genetic editing.

Already, humans have the technology to change the color of eyes and choose the sex of their offspring. But on the horizon are new techniques—based on CRISPR technology—that may permanently or temporarily alter the melanin in our skin (the pigment mostly responsible for its color). And like some characters in the X-Men film series, we may even be able to do this in real-time someday.
    This isn't really an adressed issue, a future where you can change your anatomy; body shape, ethnicity or sex. What do you think a mainstream trans-race will affect society? Hell, would you change your race or at least modify your ethnic background (Say you're a Mestizo Mexican and you want to be an Ethnic German in appearance and vice versa).
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2016-04-10 at 04:40 PM.

I think this remains sciencefiction to change it easily on the go like this describes.

No, and I wouldn't associate with anyone who does that shit to themselves.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

15+ Year Old Account
    What people don't realize is exclusion in species is a natural inclinations. The natural world is actually a very nasty place and primates take the gold medal.

- - - Updated - - -

Nvm, didn't read. Ya, total science fiction.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    I think this remains sciencefiction to change it easily on the go like this describes.
    Well obviously most of this is only talk right now. A lot of it's real, but very shady so to say.

I hope my tax dollars aren't paying for this bs technology.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    can i be neon green? please let me be neon green

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/will-...b_9631034.html

This isn't really an adressed issue, a future where you can change your anatomy; body shape, ethnicity or sex. What do you think a mainstream trans-race will affect society? Hell, would you change your race or at least modify your ethnic background (Say you're a Mestizo Mexican and you want to be an Ethnic German and vice versa).
    Given the Asians with perfect SAT scores are suing Harvard because they bought black student's academic records and found a black girl with a 2.5 GPA and a 22 MCAT score got into Harvard Med, I think anyone would change their skin color if nothing else got changed.

Is NPRs coverage of this liberal enough for you? http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/...sian-americans

Certainly wouldn't want sickle cell or kidneys that retained more salt, just the unfireable affirmative action color please.

Calculated GFR will be routinely reported on all outpatients unless requested otherwise through Client Services. MDRD calculations require the patient’s age, gender and race. While age and gender are usually available from the laboratory requisition, race is often not. Accordingly, RML will report eGFR values for both an African American (GFR AA) and Non-African American (GFR NON-AA) so that the physician or patient can decide which is appropriate. Patient’s height and weight is not needed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account

Nice try. This thread is against the new rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    If racism is still a thing by the time this is, we've really let our species down.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Nice try. This thread is against the new rules.
    Op makes this sort of thread every other week...

kinda silly really.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Op makes this sort of thread every other week...

kinda silly really.
    And its expressly against the new forum rules and has been reported.
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    If racism is still a thing by the time this is, we've really let our species down.
    Transhumanism isn't against the new rules.

Huffington Post article that starts out by talking about how the Baltimore shootings and Ferguson as examples of the continuing racism in America and then goes on to praise Black Lives Matter...cmon now

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    No, and I wouldn't associate with anyone who does that shit to themselves.
    Proof that while the exact form of discrimination might change, its existence is not likely to go away anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Huffington Post article that starts out by talking about how the Baltimore shootings and Ferguson as examples of the continuing racism in America and then goes on to praise Black Lives Matter...cmon now
    Ah well it's Huffington, but Zoltan is a smart man at his core and does make valid points. A lot of times he can go way into the realm of science fiction, but hey, that's everybody with a big imagination and an even bigger heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Ah well it's Huffington, but Zoltan is a smart man at his core and does make valid points. A lot of times he can go way into the realm of science fiction, but hey, that's everybody with a big imagination and an even bigger heart.
    I call it "clueless." Anyways, if the mods are serious about the new rules this will be closed soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. Pigment alteration is the least of our worries. What we should be worried about are 'purists' who refuse to alter their bodies seeking help from the government to compete with those who do.