Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshtildeath View Post
    I'f you check their Facebook page, and forums... things seem a bit out of hand, I don't think they anticipated pissing this many people off to the point of Boycott and refunds.
    The game is not in a great state currently, nor is their PR to begin with either, and with the movie looking how it is idk.
    What are some of your thoughts to their strategy?
    Yeah, I am stunned they did this before the movie. I think, personally, that sub and participation numbers are actually so low that they felt these private servers might actually be "stealing" subs. Doesn't seem they though this through at all.

A better idea (since Blizz does not want to do vanilla servers themselves) would have been to work with nos to provide a better experience for fans of the franchise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Blizzard has done plenty of stupid shit if you ask me... This wasn't one of those stupid things... Here is a life lesson, if you like your vanilla server experience there are a few ways to keep it and keep it alive 1) make sure the server bill is paid (THAT server didn't) 2) Stop parading around and announcing to the world what you are doing (countless threads here about it, the YouTubers streaming it, and the fucking taunting of Blizzard) 3) might want to add this to 2) but I think its important all by itself, STFU about what you are doing, Do it, enjoy it and stay the fuck out of trouble.

the 'message' Blizzard sent and wanted to send is running fucking illegal servers is not allowed and Blizzard is protecting their product.

Dont like the message, tough.
    I do agree with you about descretion, if you are doing something that is technically illegal , it is best to not flaunt it.

This whole thing has left me with a negative view of Blizz though (even though I don't play on private servers). I know it was their legal right to do this. But, they refuse to offer "legacy" servers. The fans have been asking for them for years. Another company offered them and about 150k players were having fun playing them. Why bother breaking it up?

Also, compare the private server thing with "buttgate." People have been asking for private servers for years. Blizz has not budged (so, "surprise" the players went elsewhere). People complained about Tracer's pose and it was changed pretty quick. Hmmm. Why listen to one group and not the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    A better idea (since Blizz does not want to do vanilla servers themselves) would have been to work with nos to provide a better experience for fans of the franchise.
    Why in the hell would they want to work with people who stole from them? Here in the adult world you don't get a prize for that.

The best thing for the Nos team is that this gets swept under the rug asap. Blizzard could be dicks and prosecute their asses and throw them in jail. I don't believe they are going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Why in the hell would they want to work with people who stole from them? Here in the adult world you don't get a prize for that.
    I do agree that they wrong, but sometimes (if you are smart), you realize what actually happened. Blizz refused (many times) to offer a service (vanilla servers), so people went elsewhere. Since nos was successfully providing that service and your fans (the people that support wow) were happy- maybe you be the bigger man and work out a deal with nos so they can run the vanilla servers that you refuse to run.

Just because something is legal does not mean it is necessarily the right thing to do.

Blizz refused (many times) to offer a service (vanilla servers)
    Because there is not enough demand! Which part of that is difficult to comprehend? You can cry blue in the face that tens of thousands or one hundred thousand is enough but it's not (and I'm being very generous with those numbers).

Since nos was successfully providing that service and your fans (the people that support wow) were happy
    The people playing an illegal free game. Listen to yourself for a moment.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2016-04-09 at 02:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Probably not.

If they do decide to make a statement about it, they will either just focus on the legal aspects, or expect a statement full of ridiculous straw man arguments (much the same way they handle anything controversial today...using logic that a teenager can poke holes).

Why would they?

I do agree that they wrong, but sometimes (if you are smart), you realize what actually happened. Blizz refused (many times) to offer a service (vanilla servers), so people went elsewhere. Since nos was successfully providing that service and your fans (the people that support wow) were happy- maybe you be the bigger man and work out a deal with nos so they can run the vanilla servers that you refuse to run.

Just because something is legal does not mean it is necessarily the right thing to do.
    Sorry, but why is offering a service Blizzard (being a business) doesn't feel has enough demand to make it worthwhile morally the right thing to do? Why is not doing so morally the wrong thing to do? Why should a decision like that even be based purely on what's "right" or "wrong"?

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Sorry, but why is offering a service Blizzard (being a business) doesn't feel has enough demand to make it worthwhile morally the right thing to do? Why is not doing so morally the wrong thing to do? Why should a decision like that even be based purely on what's "right" or "wrong"?
    I never said it was "right" or "wrong" morally, that is for each person to decide on their own.

I am just saying, if I was Blizz, I would have handled it differently. I think they bought themselves a boat load of bad press press, when subs are way down and right before the movie...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Because there is not enough demand! Which part of that is difficult to comprehend? You can cry blue in the face that tens of thousands or one hundred thousand is enough but it's not (and I'm being very generous with those numbers).

The people playing an illegal free game. Listen to yourself for a moment.
    There were reportedly 150k people on that server (and there are many private vanilla servers). Not sure if that is accurate but that is the number given. Do you really believe that there is not enough demand for a vanilla server? People have been asking for years... I think Blizz should do a test run- open one vanilla server and see how it goes. They should make it a "gift" to fans. They should also make it so players can make content for it (basically a "for the fans" project overall). Many games have had a lot of success using player created content (skyrim, d and d, and Ibelieve even SC has it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Why would they?
    They already made a blue post about it before this whole thread started.

No, Blizzard would rather everyone forgot private servers ever existed.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

There were reportedly 150k people on that server (and there are many private vanilla servers). Not sure if that is accurate but that is the number given. Do you really believe that there is not enough demand for a vanilla server?
    No I don't think so, because they would not all be willing to pay for it. If you think they would then you're completely delusional.

Makes no sense for Blizzard to make a statement, it would be dumb of them to even open their mouths on the subject publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyick79 View Post
    The best thing for the Nos team is that this gets swept under the rug asap. Blizzard could be dicks and prosecute their asses and throw them in jail. I don't believe they are going this route.
    Don't forget that no law took place, Blizz lawyers sent them a (very convincing I imagine) letter threatening to sue them if they did not shut down (cease and desist), they complied with the request. Blizzard is not going to spend money to take this to court when they have achieved what they set out to do, it's not as simple as "prosecute their asses and throw them in jail", it doesn't work that way.

If you read further into it then other private servers had these letters too and chose to ignore them, it's then up to Blizzard to decide if they want to push forward with the lawsuit (costing them time and money), but depending on country they could have a hard time of it. Nostalrius was based/hosted in France, Blizz had not chased down EU run servers in the past but even so most of the EU is not a safe place to host if you want to be safe from legal action, but it would have probably been the cheapest place to get quality hosting. If Nostalrius had been hosted in Russia or some other "safe" haven then Blizzards letter would matter not.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    And why has MMO-C the permission, duh ?
    In your haste to be a contrarian, you just plunged under the point in order to miss it.
    Maybe MMOC fucking asked... and actually got fucking permission from Blizzard... I know, Wow, what a fucking concept to get to use someone else's stuff, get fucking permission.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account

Blizzard doesn't have to offer anything they don't want to. They developed the game.

If you want a Vanilla server then get coding. Develop your game from scratch and change all the names, abilities, zones, etc but don't copy from Blizzard. That's how it works. Piggybacking off Blizzard's IP will get you no where.

Plus, the only reason anyone has the ability to develop this server code is because they stole the source code to WoW back in 2003. So from the beginning it's been based on theft.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

no, no reason for them to comment at all on this. just shut the shit down and move on to shut the next thief down.

10+ Year Old Account
    people that are gonna quit due to the shutting down of a server probably aren't the people blizzard wants to please anyway.. so i cant see them making a statement about it

if you cant handle that a dynamic world actually goes through changes then play a different game
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    Me and others are banned for similar reasons, and most of us are ALSO Vanila players, older people who wanted to experience the ye olden days, some of us even played Nostalrius, I didn't but I was going to begin, well I won't now. I don't know why Blizzard suddenly has a hard on for banning loyal 10+ year long players of their game, because we'll just go to places like Nostalrius, or forums and tell how badly they've treated us which Is just more and more bad PR for them. Instead, we could've been playing their game still, keeping the subs up, luring more people In, giving good PR for their game on forums and everywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    I have a younger brother, 16 years old who played wow with me for a few years now, we share the account, he has his chars, I have mine... we both RP as well. Now, since about half through January 2015, he's been "Harassing" this person that he took a liking to but she rejected him over and over, but he persisted still. I even got warnings to my email, as the account's email was mine. So I screamed down at him about It, as It's a serious deal... however..

Him being a stubborn and very attatched young dude, he kept at It. Mostly cause he accepted the risks of my account getting banned, It wasn't his right.. what was there to risk? >.< So within one month, half way through February 2015 he got his last warning, 5th warning (Or sixth? 5th I think). And I yelled SO much at him then... I was giving him a chance to control himself, but I should've taken access away from him really - because two or so months later, I get banned. (That's like 2-3 weeks ago now, 13th April or something). Reason? Harassment... apparently he spammed in trade, or did something else.. It was never specified as per usual.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-to-be-banned

One of these posts is a lie, Which one Varyag? Doesnt' matter, because you are a liar. You really should stop trying to hijack people's threads with your lies.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Why would they need to make a statement about it? If anything letting it die is the best thing for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Just because you decide to call it "false parallels" doesn't make it so, and it doesn't help you win any point either.
    Screw 'parallels' One is Approved by Blizzard, LFR; One is not, private servers' And since both regard Blizzard's property, Blizzard gets to decide, NOT YOU.

Blizzard's response will be: "Coming next summer: World of Warcraft Classic! Two brand new premium servers, brought to you by the wacky Bronze Dragonflight, who have traveled back to a time when Azeroth was young..."

They'll magically find the missing code from the early patches, then release a Vanilla PvE and PvP server, but at a higher cost than normal servers (maybe 19.99 a month, no tokens allowed). Maybe they'll do a yearly wipe to keep it fresh; who knows?