Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    And you can prove this how? Like honestly where are you convincing yourself that this is the case?
    That people wouldn't pay for it? Like seriously? You actually think that people are going to fork over $15 constantly to play a game that never changes forever and not even a single person of that amount would leave or never sign up to it in the first place? Don't be delusional.

When it comes to their financing of this project I don't need to prove shit to you. They themselves have stated that it isn't worth it. Consider this also: They are a BUSINESS, they are in the BUSINESS to make MONEY. If this could make a shit load of money they would leap at the fucking chance to do it, yet they haven't. What does that tell you? Are you purposely this blind?
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    That's the funny thing.

Even with a dedicated base behind them they coudln't foot the bill for the servers.

Blizzard just put the bullet in a limping horse.

This is the great irony of the situation-they fell to the very reason Blizzard said putting up Vanilla servers wasn't a viable thing: Because there was no money in it.
    You'll never get them to admit the truth, what little they had they are going to hold on to it until something else comes along. *coughlegioncough*

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    It's quite difficult to keep up w/ retail, when it comes to private servers' development. Back in the day, when I was contributing code to MaNGOS (it's like a granddad for all private servers, you got trinity afterwards and few others forked out of it), Vanilla was working more or less fine, TBC was worse, cuz many mechanics didn't work, and WotLK was utter shit, although WotLK was out for quite some time.
    But, you're wrong lol. I don't even know how you got this information at all. WotLK has many working realms that are around what nostalrius has working. People stopped private servers from Cata and on because no one wanted to play it. This isn't just my opinion, it's very evident.

Subs have been continuously dropping. MLG dropped WoW arena first season into Cata. Top guilds are breaking apart.

I still play the game today, but honestly enjoyed pre-Cata so much more. To say it's nostalgia is just ignorant in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Odelius View Post
    Thieves? Nostalrius Devs made no money from what they were doing. It was a game blizzard no longer supports and was within fair use rights. You are one, salty little boy.
    Last week I got my paycheck and I spent it on rent and utilities. It's like I made no money at all!

Deleted
    That's the funny thing.

Even with a dedicated base behind them they coudln't foot the bill for the servers.

This is the great irony of the situation-they fell to the very reason Blizzard said putting up Vanilla servers wasn't a viable thing: Because there was no money in it.
    ^this is so very true

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleOSP View Post
    But, you're wrong lol. I don't even know how you got this information at all. WotLK has many working realms that are around what nostalrius has working. People stopped private servers from Cata and on because no one wanted to play it. This isn't just my opinion, it's very evident.

Subs have been continuously dropping. MLG dropped WoW arena first season into Cata. Top guilds are breaking apart.

I still play the game today, but honestly enjoyed pre-Cata so much more. To say it's nostalgia is just ignorant in my opinion.
    People can't make stable servers past Cataclysm is the reason no one makes anything past cata.

They kept with the current expansion otherwise.

Right but it doesnt make sense that people argue thats the main reason, since Vanilla is old content. Theres got to be a demand to play on that specific server right?
    The chairs people are where the people go. There are numerous small private servers, but it doesn't feel nice to play w/ other ~100 people, but this one was well maintained and had good PR, so Nost became a private realm of choice among others. That's pretty much it, that's how it always worked for private servers since forever.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-04-08 at 06:03 AM.

I dont understand the people saying WoD is dead. There are plenty of incredibly active servers that you'll see absurd numbers of players in front of HFC or their respective ashran town. But when they link 'empty zones' they always link something like ironforge or some random ass questing zone. No fucking duh they're empty, they're no longer relevant. Ironforge was only jam packed cause it was the only AH in vanilla.

As for population, 150k is not much at all. Especially when you consider there were bound to be multiboxers, people with multiple accounts, and people who'd never pay a sub for retail. Not only to add with all the recent streamers there were bound to be a plethora of 'first timers' getting on this free server just to see what WoW is like. On the ass end of an expansion servers like Moonguard, Dalaran, Sargeras and Illidan still have tons of players, and with cross realm for nearly any content the realm hardly matters. And this information is done with poor snap shotting so its not even getting as many players as it could. Personally I think the big issue is that WoW has to many servers. They really need to dynamically merge servers more often, since although empty servers are convienent for rare hunting: they're kinda dull.
    Ones brain cannot co-pilot if ones mouth is on auto-pilot.

That's the funny thing.

And THAT is the playerbase tommo thinks blizz should cater too. A bunch of freeloaders so "passionate" that their server was dying due to lack of donations but of course they would TOTALLY pay for a live version. Utter delusion at its finest.

yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!

I don't know about you but I've tried private servers out of curiosity in the past when I used to frequent Ragezone forums... and the closer the expansion is to current the buggier they become, immensely. Just because a server is up don't imply it's bug free or even playable for the most part...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-04-08 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    And THAT is the playerbase tommo thinks blizz should cater too. A bunch of freeloaders so "passionate" that their server was dying due to lack of donations but of course they would TOTALLY pay for a live version. Utter delusion at its finest.
    IF only these forums allowed to vote on posts... I'd so vote this up.

Blizzard and Nostalrius is an open and shut case.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I don't know about you but I've tried private servers out of curiosity in the past when I used to frequent Ragezone forums... and the closer the expansion is to current the buggier they become, immensely. Just because a server is up don't imply it's bug free...
    I played WotLK arena servers during S8 and servers had almost completely bug free specs. Even recall one where warriors only bug, that was visible to me, was charge on alternate terrains. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure other classes might have had some. But it wasn't game breaking or common. Again, this was live content.

Will they pay for Legion and its future expansions? If so you can answer your own question, why are classic servers being treated as a standalone product suddenly?

The most compelling reason I've seen here is that Blizzard wouldnt want to compete with their own game, admit defeat and also cheapen the brand. Those are actual reasons, profit isnt, especially when neither you nor I can quantify this.
    It's perfectly quantifiable by the people working at the company. You see, you add up all these actual costs such as employers wages on recreating the old code, the art assets, server costs and so on and so forth versus long term projections on what your number of target audience is and what level that target audience diminishes because all products have a product life. If its worth the time and money investment and is going to potentially yield a sizable profit you go for it. It's not exactly rocket science. The fact of that matter is they didn't just one day see private server request and go "fuck that noise, lol" and just move on, they would weigh the positives and the negatives and if the negatives outweigh the positives as a business you do NOT do it. It really is that simple. It isn't malice, it's just the way it is and you pro legacy servers can scream nuh uh from the roof tops all you want but it doesn't change shit.

No, there is no need to. People from Nos just need to suck it up and move on to the next private server, that's how life has been on private servers for tons of games. Deal with it and move the fuck on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the fuck should they? Stealing is stealing. IP protected. End of story.

So wheres the massively popular WoD realm?
    Wouldn't that be the live game? I mean.... last count it did have 5.6 million users. I think that's still the biggest MMO on the market... Yeah? Yeah... It is. And people even pay monthly for it! Crazy right?

But when you consider the fact that a lot of servers are well maintained then why arent they flocking there? Theres never been a WotlK / Cata server this popular, hell I dont even think TBC has managed it yet. Its a bit dishonest to say that vanilla has no appeal.
    Most pserver had very little appeal, they were huge malls, stupid ass jumping puzzles, leveling roads ect. Nos was as I understand it a close copy to vanilla. With the push from pewdiepie(spelling) and other youtube/streamers with huge followings, you can only imagine that anyone who thinks he is cool will flock to whatever he says is cool.

At any rate, it's gone.

Well, for example, I was contributing to shit like vehicle system for WotLK realms, they originally had none, cuz it was a brand new system in WotLK, mate, we managed to get it work more or less fine by the time Cata pre-patch was out, that's how big delays are. As for Cata realms, it's hell to work on it, we still had so much to implement for WotLK, we even had many things left unimplemented since TBC and Vanilla, that's not worth it that time.

And very few people want to play on broken servers even for free, trust me. We had this issue w/ WotLK back in the day, users ignored it for quite a long time, cuz TBC was less broken and more playable. Things became ever worse after Cata release.

-- edit

Just saw your post about bug free classes during S8, sorry, but you're delusional. Nostalgia is really strong thing...
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-04-08 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Wouldn't that be the live game? I mean.... last count it did have 5.6 million users. I think that's still the biggest MMO on the market... Yeah? Yeah... It is. And people even pay monthly for it! Crazy right?
    And yet, it has the most miserable community I have ever seen in a video game. Trade is filled with comments on how old WoW was better. Every guild I join has the same conversations on what WoW used to be. WoW is powered by nostalgia. People just talk about the good ole days.

You know what that reminds me of? Counter Strike: Source.

It's like if you take a game (CS 1.6/Vanilla) and make a new version that's still good, but no where near as good (Source/Cata+) people will play it and complain. The difference is CS:GO was made to be much closer to 1.6. Oh look! A massive fan base! A top 3 esport scene. Massive community market! It's almost like a company that doesn't dismiss complaints as nostalgia can do good.