Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    I understand it a contentious topic, but generally speaking you tend to expect a certain degree of empathy from any average human when they witness a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain.

but official forums be like "OMG yes i hope you all die you're worse than the terroriest and all the evil and..."

just... why.
    While I feel badly for those that played on THAT server, I feel badly that they made bad choices and now have to suffer the consequences of those bad choices. That said, when you go to the official forums and then bemoan the consequences of those bad choices or throw a temper tantrum over the result of THOSE bad choices my empathy disappears. I dont believe them to be worse than terrorists or evil or anything of the sort, I believe them to be individuals that made bad choices and now have to contend with the consequences of their actions. Additionally, you might want to relearn the meaning of the word benevolent, because the horseshit I saw on the Blizzard forums and the shitshow that those former players of THAT server are causing on MMOC I see nothing benevolent about it.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2016-04-08 at 10:41 PM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

b.c. its sometimes fun to laugh at people when they break the law get caught and get shut down
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    this was really my only point.
    If what is being done is bad, then it stopping should be celebrated.

Would you be happy if someone stole your work? Don't think so.

i serious doubt the official forum members are so passionately lawful that they feel inclined to get hostel and attack private server players....
    Why shouldn't we feel hostile toward TOS-violators, particularly when they act like THEY are the victims? You underestimate the power of moral outrage.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    they act like THEY are the victims
    If it was only that. Some of them seem to think they're akin to something like the civil rights fight. I can smell the smugness from here.

Deleted
    The Problem is, that you cant get into a productive argument with the Nos/private server community. You tell them one point they dont agree with and they start flippin out. There is maybe 1 in 100 Forum threads that has a legit and informative discussion about private servers. Everywhere else its either "go kill yourself" or "shut the f*** up. no one asked you you blizzard fanboy". I'm not saying that every one talking about live WoW is a saint or behaves perfectly, but its only a couple of black sheeps instead of 90%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    Nobody should be celebrating people losing something they loved doing, however there are some points to be made. The Nost players were on a private server that was bound to be shut down eventually, yet act like they didn't know that. Also not very benevolent, as a lot of the times the Nost players would constantly spout off about Nost on forums like MMO-C, using it as "evidence" in support of legacy servers regardless of Blizzards response, which inevitably led to Nost being shut down.
    I can relate to the bit about how people shouldn't be celebrating those who are losing years of work, passion and something they loved.

The rest of your post is spot on. I would like to feel sorry for them but have to wonder how sincere this pose of innocence and victim-hood is that they've been using since announcing the thing will be closed.

They knew exactly what they were doing. And now they are going to release their work so others can carry on with the same infringing activity. It's not so benevolent and I do not think that their actual behavior demonstrates either sorrow or that they've learned anything.

Actions speak louder than words. If they release the code, Blizzard should go after them with a civil suit.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-08 at 10:45 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Stop liking things I don't like!

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Let me answer that once you explain what benevolent means and what exactly makes these people benevolent.
    yes - good intentions. doesn't meant private servers are right or legal either. Just means they weren't evil or sinister people by nature.

a bunch of people took on the equivalent of a second full time job, with no pay, to make a commercial quality server. nost didnt take money. there were no "donation" prizes.

at all times, they offered to give the code to blizzard.

and the day they recieved notice from blizzard to stop, they walked away and said "thank you".

Id call that benevolence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Team A vs Team B. This applies to absolutely everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    b.c. its sometimes fun to laugh at people when they break the law get caught and get shut down
    I think it's funnier to laugh at people who defend stupid laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    You mean, the copyright laws without which WoW wouldn't even exist in the first place?

Yeah, so stupid, those laws. /sarcasm
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Why shouldn't we feel hostile toward TOS-violators, particularly when they act like THEY are the victims? You underestimate the power of moral outrage.
    I dont, i just think calling it "moral outrage" is bullshit. using morality as a scapegoat is also cowardice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I can relate to the bit about how people shouldn't be celebrating those who are losing years of work, passion and something they loved.

The rest of your post is spot on. I would like to feel sorry for them but have to wonder how sincere this pose of innocence is that they've been using since announcing the thing will be closed.

They knew exactly what they were doing. And now they are going to release their work so others can carry on with the same infringing activity. It's not so benevolent and I do not think that their actual behavior demonstrates either sorrow or that they've learned anything.

Actions speak louder than words. If they release the code, Blizzard should go after them with a civil suit.
    While i feel empathy, i know very well, like anybody in that community, you can get shut down at ANY time and you accept that risk the second you run that server. They got lucky, they just got a CnD, which is basically a saving grace for a server that big. Them releasing the code i feel is more out of spite, if they truly cared about Blizzard learning a lesson, they would keep the code to themselves, and let the fans do the talking. I feel bad for the players, but they have to understand you are always at risk, no matter how big or small, or how safe you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Stupid laws is the only thing that keeps human society from pouring into chaos of anarchy. Speaking about benevolence...
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

and the day they recieved notice from blizzard to stop, they walked away and said "thank you".
    tsk tsk

That's not all they did. They're also handing out the code to others so "their" work can live on. That is not benevolance. They're butthurt and spiteful and we know it.

I dont, i just think calling it "moral outrage" is bullshit. using morality as a scapegoat is also cowardice.
    Moral outrage is a descriptive term here. There are Rules that govern society, and these violators are ignoring them for their own personal benefit. Moral outrage is the phenomenon of people reacting negatively to that sort of thing, even when they aren't personally immediately negatively affected.

It's like viewing with scorn someone who doesn't pay his taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Yes that's actually exactly what happened.
    you can't pirate what doesnt exist. the code was entirely written from scratch.

they violated copyright law. but it was NOT pirating.

spreading misinformation like that is the reason obama is president.

I understand it a contentious topic, but generally speaking you tend to expect a certain degree of empathy from any average human when they witness a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain.

but official forums be like "OMG yes i hope you all die you're worse than the terroriest and all the evil and..."

just... why.
    My guess would be that a lot of people on the official forums, being active retail players, tend to react negatively to nostalgia type people. That's because there's quite an overlap with genuine asshat department in that camp. The type of folk that will constantly whine about every aspect of "modern WoW" and frequently remind everyone else that they're being idiots who don't mind playing an inferior game and that they're blind white knights and fanboys that are to blame for the game's downfall because they continue to support Blizzard etc. etc. All that jazz. People on the official forums have probably come to associate private servers with that kind of folk and their shit talk, and are likely to react in a salty and defensive way.