Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Legion Dungeons and Zones will go down as the best in the history of WoW

I'm generally really reserved on saying things like this, but I've been thoroughly impressed so far by Legion's environments. Both the dungeons and zones of this expansion are, in my very subjective opinion, better than BC's, better than Wrath's, better than Cata's, and way better than MoP's or WoD's. We still haven't had a chance to look through Suramar on the alpha yet, which actually appears like it might be the most epic of ALL of them... and I would still rank this expansions zones and dungeons above all others.

What I think is really interesting about this expansion is they didn't seem to just try to come up with a fresh take on a zone or dungeon, what they did was sort of look back on all of the best parts of dungeons and zones in the history of WoW and combine them in interesting ways.

There's a taste of Karazhan in Black Rook Hold and The Arcway. There are hints of Azshara (the zone) in Azsuna and the Eye of Azshara. There are hints of the Howling Fjord and Icecrown in Stormheim. They've taken that really great feeling of an ancient and mysterious forest from Feralas and Ashenvale and recaptured it in Val'Sharah.

In all of the environments for the class quests you go back to these old places that just hit you with insane nostalgia. They've been forgotten, but all they really needed was just a little extra places added (Karazhan Catacombs) or just an extra little lore (ICC, Duskwood).

Legion is a love letter to the old Warcraft. They tried to make WoD that by actually going back in time to do it and it failed. But Legion is the old Warcraft's spiritual successor.

All that is left for me to see to say this is the best expansion in the history of WoW is to see how they handle the end game. To me that is all that is left to be proven. Will the outdoor adventures work? Will there be interesting daily/endgame questing? How will the dungeon reward structure hold up a month or 2 months in?

If they nail that - this will pass Wrath for me.

Hooray for the four people still playing the game when it's released.

(And yes, that's hyperbole. Congratulations on picking up on that.)

7+ Year Old Account
    from what i saw the zones and dungeons are very very very well done.
    azsuna will probably be my new fav zone, and neltharions lair my new fav dungeon.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

All that is left for me to see to say this is the best expansion in the history of WoW is to see how they handle the end game. To me that is all that is left to be proven. Will the outdoor adventures work? Will there be interesting daily/endgame questing? How will the dungeon reward structure hold up a month or 2 months in?
    That's what it comes down to bottom line.

I thought that MoP zones hit a completely new level when that expansion came out and I also loved what they did for WoD. They always upped their game in this department with every new expansion. That's not where WoWs problems have been lying in the last few years. I don't expect any philosophical paradigm changes in WoW at this point.

I agree, they are amazing. The dungeons are great too, and the new model is going to be REALLY exciting.
    Unfortunately, as you can tell by the second reply to this thread, this community is way too far gone to ever accept anything as an improvement.
    No matter what, there will still be sheep clamoring about how the game is worse in every way, stating it as if its a fact.

Regardless, I am once again very excited for this release and can't wait to fully test 100-110 on the Alpha.
    With all the tech the are adding, I imagine this leveling experience is going to be the best as well.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post

I thought that MoP zones hit a completely new level when that expansion came out and I also loved what they did for WoD. They always upped their game in this department with every new expansion. That's not where WoWs problems have been lying in the last few years. I don't expect any philosophical paradigm changes in WoW at this point.
    Very true. It all comes down to the end game now.

I'll wait a couple months into the expansion and make that judgement for myself. It all looks good in theory, just like WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I'll wait a couple months into the expansion and make that judgement for myself. It all looks good in theory, just like WoD.
    Tbh, I only liked a select few of WoDs dungeons before live hit, and I only liked one zone which was shadowmoon valley. I still love shadowmoon valley, but that was the only zone that I actually really liked. As for raids, I thought HM on beta was disgusting. Orcs, brownish/tan color everywhere, eh. That's what I thought when I was watching WoD when it was in it's beta stage.

As for legion, since I actually got into alpha, I will definitely tell you that the zones are some of the most impressive zones I've seen so far. Aszuna especially. Some classes look fucking amazing too (ele sham, fire mage, balance druid etc). As for the dungeons, I haven't tested or seen many, so I can't talk about that yet but from what I've heard there good.

Definitely curious about endgame though. With suramar being a 110 only zone, and with adventure mode being introduced as well as the new dungeon content stuff, it all looks interesting for sure and feels good to play, but I wanna see how it holds up after 1-2 months. For professions though, those are definitely way better than what we've had in the past in my opinion, love them.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-04-11 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Tbh, I only liked a select few of WoDs dungeons before live hit, and I only liked one zone which was shadowmoon valley. I still love shadowmoon valley, but that was the only zone that I actually really liked. As for raids, I thought HM on beta was disgusting. Orcs, brownish/tan color everywhere, eh. That's what I thought when I was watching WoD when it was in it's beta stage.

As for legion, since I actually got into alpha, I will definitely tell you that the zones are some of the most impressive zones I've seen so far. Aszuna especially. Some classes look fucking amazing too (ele sham, fire mage, balance druid etc). As for the dungeons, I haven't tested or seen many, so I can't talk about that yet but from what I've heard there good.

Definitely curious about endgame though. With suramar being a 110 only zone, and with adventure mode being introduced as well as the new dungeon content stuff, it all looks interesting for sure and feels good to play, but I wanna see how it holds up after 1-2 months. For professions though, those are definitely way better than what we've had in the past in my opinion, love them.
    Oh, I don't doubt, the art team has always been top notch - being one of the few good aspects of WoD, in my eyes.

I mean more in regards of how the systems\end-game will work and how well they'll manage to keep the average player interested and engaged (and for how long).
    Outside of the the usual raiding-scene, that is. We know that'll be decent\good+, as it pretty much always is.

From the announcement at blizcon my thought process was *all this shit sounds a-fucking-mazing if they manage to pull it all off, the crux of it will be the reward structure though*

And I'm not super confident there, because its hard to have a proper reward structure when they're over saturating us with gear and rewards for every single activity.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    I don't think they will so far from what I have seen from alpha. WoD had better leveling and tbc had better dungeons. There not bad but they are not the best from my point of view.

7+ Year Old Account
    Damn, I was expecting Jaylock thread.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

The only thing that worries me and has worried me is if they can keep having something to do to progress in some way for an extended period of time.
    Take the way the chose with professions, in my mind thats a brilliant way of making professions last a bit and you acctually get well rewarded if you complete it and farm everything.
    I really didnt like the "get exalted with 2 factions" and you have the epic recipes. Now I can go out and quest to get what I want. Thats a really cool model for professions and I hope they can continue and evolve upon that idea throughout the expansion patches.
    I've never been much of a PvPer, I tell myself with every expansion that I will attempt to play more PvP and get rated, but somewhere down the line I just lose interest, from the looks of things now I can at least see myself doing more BGs to farm prestige.
    There is a bunch of other things I'm very interested in this expansion, and thats more then I can say of WoD or the 2 expansion prior to it, probably quit the game more during this period then Ive ever done with any other game lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector Sigma View Post
    Hooray for the four people still playing the game when it's released.

(And yes, that's hyperbole. Congratulations on picking up on that.)
    It must be absolutely horrible to be forced to continue posting venomous drivel on these boards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Cuck View Post
    Doubt it really. They look pretty meh. And dungeons are still gonna be as easy as in WoD and MoP, so they are going to be pretty forgotten.

Legion only has 4 level up zones and 1 max level zone.
    lol you are not into alpha for sure cause you are saying random bullshit
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not let novelty and desparation cloud your judgment... But yeah, they look alright so far.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    No one wants to run the same upscaled content for all eternity, this is not Diablo.
    I do. I like Diablo and I think this system fits perfectly in WoW.

Just because YOU don't want this, it doesn't mean that NOBODY wants this. Try taking a step back and looking at what OTHERS might like. You might be surprised.

Deleted
    To be honest, I think each expansion improved zones, even though my favourites are in Northrend but that's just because I like the nordic things, i'd say the newer zones are better designed than the older ones, i'm not really worried about zones, max level content is the most important, I liked the Warlords of Draenor zones but as a whole I think the expansion is terrible

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    ''Theory'' Yeah, but it's already all on the alpha. And everything on the alpha is amazing, from profession quests, to class quests to dungeons/zones.

Deleted
    I'm not but why does that matter? I'm reading all the info here on MMO-C. So what about what I said was wrong?

There are going to be only 4 level up zones and only 1 max level zone.

They are going to be just as easy as the ones in MoP and WoD. I don't see them making them as hard as in TBC again. And the scaling they are gonna do is just the same they did with mythic dungeons, it is not new content.

2-3 days and you will have everything you need and stop running them.

No one wants to run the same upscaled content for all eternity, this is not Diablo.
    You don't have to run the same upscaled content for "all eternity", you only get a single mythic dungeon key per week as a reward for a weekly quest, and the said key is destroyed if you lose the challenge.
    You claim no one wants to run the same upscaled content for all eternity, but in Burning Crusade, people would still run dungeons for reputations, even when they didn't need gear anymore, the same goes in Wrath of the Lich King, except you'd earn emblems with which you could buy raid gear.
    Many people steamrolled the same heroic dungeons every day in The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, what makes you think people wouldn't run scaling dungeons considering you only can have one key (that you can upgrade if you succeed) per week ?
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2016-04-11 at 11:10 AM.