Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My setup is getting kinda old, GTX 670 & i5-3570k. Been recording all of the raid testing (20-30 players) with shadowplay and rarely dip under 60fps, apart from a few flashy boss mechanics. I was worried because my system was pretty low compared to their system requirements but it feels great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelGrazza View Post
    Hi there! I'm currently running WoW on Ultra 1920x1080 with 8xMSAA. Is there any difference in Dalaran compared to your Garrison and the new zones compared to the ones in WoD? I really want to know this because I want to run Legion with 60 FPS smooth!

Specs:
    GTX 970
    I5 4690K 4ghz
    There's the occasion loading hiccup, but I generally get the same FPS (60) on Legion alpha that I do in WoD with the same settings (Ultra, 1080p, 200% resolution scale).
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdsent View Post
    Yeah, not planning to go into a big argument over this one, but as I mentioned there is alot of different factors that come into play here.
    If you had no server lag, 1 MS etc you wouldnt notice any difference after 30 FPS, thing is that would be in a perfect world were there was no lag, if you have lets say 35 FPS and 2 frames in that time window of 35 frames in a second was delayed, you would see lag and could even see broken pictures.
    But lets leave it there :P
    It's pretty complicated. You have FPS, monitor refresh rate, monitor response time, input lag, server lag, scene composition blur not blur, etc but saying that everyone doesn't notice anything above 30 FPS is dead wrong.

All things being equal I and a lot of other people can notice playing a game that is below 60 FPS. For me personally anything below 55 FPS and it starts to get bad. It varies depending on the game and the scene composition but in general my brain starts disconnecting my actions that I'm taking and whats appearing on the screen. It starts feeling laggy and unresponsive and totally breaks immersion.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who play with 100 fps higher then their refresh rate make me face palm.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    People who play with 100 fps higher then their refresh rate make me face palm.
    Why? My monitor runs at 144 hz (and overclock to 165 hz). Yes, there is a difference between 60 and 120 fps. If you switch between both you would see it. 60 Hz is smooth but 120 Hz makes it smooth and clearer. The edges of objects continue to look sharp even when moving.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-04-12 at 12:37 AM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

when I run around questing on alpha I have around 100 fps on ultra (haven't gone all out on AA, 1080p), speccs are
    970 strix
    i7 6700k skylake

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Why? My monitor runs at 144 hz (and overclock to 165 hz).
    I think you missed his point. People playing higher than their refresh rate, e.g. you running at something like 265 FPS, would be pointless. So for the majority using a 60 Hz monitor it's pointless to play higher. Personally I cap WoW at about 75-85 FPS since my monitor doesn't go that high (I really need to get one that does).

OT:
    i5-4670k @ 3.4GHz (base-clock, lazy)
    16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
    GTX 980 Ti
    Full ultra, including "SSAA 4x + CMAA" (200% render scale).

It dips a bit due to the camera distance being buggy as shit currently, but it's still above 60 for the most part. Slightest camera angle changes FPS by a 30-40... WoW is great for that. Garrisons are worse than raids for me, in fact. So you'll be able to run WoW fine in Legion.

So, funnily enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumba View Post
    Consider how wanky WoWs engine is I would say around 30-90 FPS.
    ... is basically correct. Dalaran is basically this depending on where I'm looking.

Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2016-04-12 at 01:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game runs no different from WoD mostly 60+ fps, but their is a specific area in Azsuna that my fps takes a huge hit.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

You do realize that your eyes cannot see the difference between any FPS wich is over 30 right? So you can see perfect gameplay with 31 FPS.
    Pure fiction. It's nothing more than a myth that won't die. A quick Google search will give you quite a bit of info.

How does 4 gigs of ram handle in legion? Thats what I want to know.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    20 man mythic / 30 man heroic / LFR pull with heroism or even without disagrees with you.
    No matter the hardware you got, it's very easy to dip below 60 fps on WoW, it interacts quite terrible with hardware tbh.

There are reasons why WotLK Dalaran was known as Lagaran, for reference I can easily hit 200+ fps in a 5 man dungeon, but plenty of times I have seen 30 fps on big raid pull.
    Yeah, but that's not due to the video card. That's because the engine itself is old and has bottlenecks. WOW can run pretty much at ultra (not taking into account AA which is much more intensive) with a 960. Beyond that it's completely dependent on your CPU. But even a 6700k will experience some drops in crowded areas because the engine itself is bottlenecked in such a way that cannot be overcome by brute force.

What about for mac? Is there a difference in metal api between the two in same zones? Meaning is dalaran the same? Are capital cities the same?

15+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that your eyes cannot see the difference between any FPS wich is over 30 right? So you can see perfect gameplay with 31 FPS. There are other factors though that come into play here wich can cause lag, and thats server communication (Your MS) etc etc etc.
    And I have 6700K 4.0 Ghz skylake CPU with 2x Asus Strix GTX 970 in sli and I can see FPS drops some times, but I dont notice it on the gameplay, only on the FPS counter down to the right of my screen
    That's a myth. It's most definitely noticeable and lots of experts will disagree with that tired argument. Hell if your statement was true then why do we have High Frame Rate movies such as the Hobbit movies? They obviously look no different right?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

You do realize that your eyes cannot see the difference between any FPS wich is over 30 right? So you can see perfect gameplay with 31 FPS. There are other factors though that come into play here wich can cause lag, and thats server communication (Your MS) etc etc etc.
    And I have 6700K 4.0 Ghz skylake CPU with 2x Asus Strix GTX 970 in sli and I can see FPS drops some times, but I dont notice it on the gameplay, only on the FPS counter down to the right of my screen

You are completely wrong. You can easily see a difference between 30 60 and even 120 fps.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

You do realize this is utterly ignorant garbage you just spewed right? Not only can you see the difference between 30 and 60, you can also see the difference between 60 and 120/144.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you honestly can't see the MASSIVE difference between 30 and 60fps? Seriously? Either get a better monitor or get your eyes checked.

It's the same with YouTube videos, I can instantly tell which are running at 60fps without needing to check.

There is a massive visual difference, and 60fps is so much smoother in gameplay, animation and visual spell effects that I'm amazed you or other frame rate deniers can't tell the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point anyone talking about cant see above 30fps is trolling in 2016.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelGrazza View Post
    Hi there! I'm currently running WoW on Ultra 1920x1080 with 8xMSAA. Is there any difference in Dalaran compared to your Garrison and the new zones compared to the ones in WoD? I really want to know this because I want to run Legion with 60 FPS smooth!

Specs:
    GTX 970
    I5 4690K 4ghz
    oh yeah, with that setup you're going to struggle SO hard to get 60 fps. /sarcasm.

I swear any thread that involves specs just turns into a one upping contest. It the equivalent of a girl posting a picture on instagram saying 'erugh just got out of bed' with perfect hair and makeup.
    Last edited by willtron; 2016-04-26 at 11:04 AM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullfu View Post
    You do realize this is utterly ignorant garbage you just spewed right? Not only can you see the difference between 30 and 60, you can also see the difference between 60 and 120/144.
    Actually, the Air Force has done some tests that indicate that the human eye can perceive at least 200fps. It could be more, it's at least 200. It's a requirement for military jet pilots. If they can't see an image flashed for 1/200th of a second (equivalent to 200fps), then they can't become a pilot. There is obviously a little bit of wiggle room, some frequencies of light are more easily perceived for shorter times than others, and there are also individual variances.

The OP should tell those military jet pilots that they can't see more than 30fps.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2016-04-26 at 12:23 PM.

You do realize that your eyes cannot see the difference between any FPS wich is over 30 right?
    This is pure bullshit and been proven wrong so many times.

Now is there people who don't notice it at all or only part of the time? Yep. But you can infact see the difference between fps. I myself only notice with select games and not all the time. I personally don't care if its 30fps or 60fps so with that said my computer will last me quite awhile because of this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD