Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by p291u View Post
    A single DRM-free game on Steam invalidates your claim that Steam is DRM. The real fact is that there are many, many, games on Steam without any DRM at all. What this means is that Steam is fundamentally a content distribution platform with the option to add extras to your game, via Steamworks, that includes things like Achievements, Stats, easy Steam-based Multiplayer, and/or DRM. Pick and choose at your leisure. This is nothing like Origin or Uplay. You were wrong, deal with it.
    And a single DRM-Free game on Uplay or Original invalidates yours based on ur logic.

The fact you have to use Steam to launch,run games is DRM. There is many games on steam that this is a must and while it does have a offline mode lots of games on there don't work with it.

Steam is as much as DRM as Uplay and Origin. This isn't a opinion its fact. To nip this in the bud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)
    Steam is a digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation offering digital rights management (DRM), multiplayer gaming and social networking services. Steam provides the user with installation and automatic updating of games on multiple computers, and community features such as friends lists and groups, cloud saving, and in-game voice and chat functionality. The software provides a freely available application programming interface (API) called Steamworks, which developers can use to integrate many of Steam's functions into their products, including networking, matchmaking, in-game achievements, micro-transactions, and support for user-created content through Steam Workshop.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And a single DRM-Free game on Uplay or Original invalidates yours based on ur logic.
    What logic would that be? I am not the one claiming that Uplay or "Original" is DRM. Like you did with Steam. I just said that Steam was nothing like either of those content distribution platforms.

The fact you have to use Steam to launch,run games is DRM. There is many games on steam that this is a must and while it does have a offline mode lots of games on there don't work with it.
    No. That just means those specific games are DRM-enabled games or badly made games that use Steamworks features like Achievements, Cloud Storage, etc... and crash when the APIs are not present. The lowest common denominator between all games on Steam is: content distribution.

Steam is as much as DRM as Uplay and Origin. This isn't a opinion its fact. To nip this in the bud.

As for your wiki quote, first of all it's a description... it's not to be taken literally. Even so, the keyword: offering. You can choose to include a DRM solution in your game or not. Also, basing your failed positions on wikipedia is just sad; what an unreliable source of information.

"Nipped in the bud", indeed.

What logic would that be? I am not the one claiming that Uplay or "Original" is DRM. Like you did with Steam. I just said that Steam was nothing like either of those content distribution platforms.

No. That just means those specific games are DRM-enabled games or badly made games that use Steamworks features like Achievements, Cloud Storage, etc... and crash when the APIs are not present. The lowest common denominator between all games on Steam is: content distribution.

As for your wiki quote, first of all it's a description... it's not to be taken literally. Even so, the keyword: offering. You can choose to include a DRM solution in your game or not. Also, basing your failed positions on wikipedia is just sad; what an unreliable source of information.

"Nipped in the bud", indeed.
    Done repeating myself since you don't like sources that prove you wrong. Go ahead and read the 1000's of posts on how steam is a form of DRM.

This is offtopic anyway so ill end it here.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    sure, but that seems to mean they cant retweet anything or have their own likes when running for president. That seems...really silly and restrictive. Like, if Trump retweeted a Beastie Boys video cause he liked them, would that violate stuff too?

Also, couldnt think of who Hillary or Bernie would be. Maybe Bernie is Anderson and Hillary is the Asari council member?
    Tweeting out a Beastie Boys video would not be the same thing. Editing a Beastie Boys video to support you would be. Had Trump retweeted a Mass Effect video that was unedited, it would be fine. Retweeting one that is using their content in an unintended way is not allowed.

Done repeating myself since you don't like sources that prove you wrong. Go ahead and read the 1000's of posts on how steam is a form of DRM.

This is offtopic anyway so ill end it here.
    The only thing you've done here is demonstrated your ignorance of the subject. I think I will pass on the offer of reading "1000's of posts" since 100% of them are likely to be by people just as ignorant and contain as many claims and as little substance as your posts. Thanks for playing though.

HAHAHAHAHA......O wait your serious.

You do realise steam is DRM as well right? Also those EA games that you can't play Online anymore was not due to any actions caused by EA. It was because Gamespy shutdown.
    I'm not even talking about gamespy.

But since you brought ti up take look at BF2, which used gamespy, there's a note on there right at the top telling you its not playable anymore.

The note came from DICE, not from EA.

And there are a still other titles that can no longer connect to EA's own DRM, rendering the games unplayable, that are still being sold without any notice.

Since we're talking EA here I'm going to take this opportunity to show you this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why...ons-43696.html

Some of those are nit-picks but a few are blatant "fuck yous" to gamers.

Like these two, seriously #6 wtf imagine if that one stuck.

6.) Origin Two Year Entitlement Clause
    Ignoring everything else about Origin, this two year entitlement clause caused all sorts of vengeful fury from gamers. The idea that you HAD to use Origin within two years lest your account fall victim to mandatory expulsion generated a furor, and rightfully so. EA later threw up their hands and said "Oh, ho, ho, ho...that clause wasn't real, we just put it there by mistake. Our lawyers said it should be there. It was a misprint. Someone in legal got lawyer-hungry." The reality is that had the clause stayed in effect gamers would be forced to re-purchase entitlements had they been revoked. If you think this isn't real or wasn't the plan, keep reading the rest of the items on the list.

7.) Origin Forum Bans Result In Bans From All Your Purchased Games
    This here created yet another furor. Gamers who found themselves banned on the forum boards were actively banned from their entire Origin account. That's right, doing something idiotic on the forum boards for an Origin game resulted in you being banned from your Origin account, which means ALL the games you purchased would be off limits to you. Rock, Paper, Shotgun has the updated rendition of the forum bans, and we later received word from EA's support staff that banned accounts can now access games in offline mode. Don't take this for a reason to like the company, basically they're just saying they're less restrictive on games you buy from the service, which should send warning bells and red flags off for anyone who considers buying from a company like this. I mean really? It's like a market vendor saying you can now eat your bread sideways without being slapped in the face for doing so. Thank you for letting us eat our bread sideways, I guess.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    -snipp--
    And what does any of that have to do with this thread.....

Also you do realise that EA owns DICE right?

Edit: I never said EA is perfect and trust me I never will. But like all companys there is some things they do right and some they do wrong. This is done right and ur examples is some fuck ups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, a platform offering DRM isn't necessarily under DRM in itself. Steam is a platform for hosting games, and the hosted games have an option of DRM - but Steam in itself doesn't abide any DRM. Not exactly sure what the debate is about - "Steam is DRM" doesn't even make sense, as much as "Steam isn't DRM" doesn't make sense. DRM is not something an app "is".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    If they wanted to be truly neutral, they'd do nothing unless something was used to incite violence.

The moment EA entered the political arena they became fair game.

So many people gunning for Trump. I wonder why?
    Because they are gullible and can only understand the 4th grade speak that Trump is saying? I mean pretty much everything else isn't really good for the country. His tax policy alone would literally add almost $12 TRILLION to the debt over the next 10 years. Then you have the wall that will cost BILLIONS and prevent NOTHING basically. Then you have what it would cost to deport the 11 million illegals here ranging to $1 trillion alone and that doesn't include the economic and agricultural impact of millions and billions of dollars worth of crops left in the field. That doesn't even include the 20 years it would take to complete.

- - - Updated - - -

Billionaire, celebrity, shattered all expectations, ran a campaign using tactics everyone thought was political suicide, ended up being frontrunner in major political party.

"Simple guy", "not much skill or knowledge". Only thing here is projection.
    Just because he owns a lot of property doesn't mean he is wealthy. He literally has a personal debt of $265 million. http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/07/22/f-e-c-releases-donald-trumps-financial-disclosure-statement/

And I quote from the article:
    Donald J. Trump earned just $14,222 in salary. He owes at least $265 million in debt. He is paid about $250,000 per speech. And he received $110,000 from a pension with the Screen Actors Guild.

Those details were revealed in Mr. Trump’s financial disclosure form, filed with the Federal Election Commission last week and made public on Wednesday.
    He is only a celebrity to people that were stupid enough to watch that shitty show the apprentice. And his tactics are catching up to him, FINALLY.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    We have a different definition of neutrality. Like I said, EA has proven to be anti-Trump. They just have a legal right to do it.
    Wyrt has the ONLY definition of neutrality. Yours only comes from your lack of understanding of neutral.

Lets say for example, Trump uses someone's music without asking their permission, and they issue a cease and desist order. Does that mean that the band issuing the order that they aren't neutral? No, that means they don't want to be associated with politics or Trump in particular. They aren't saying that Hillary can use the video against Trump. They are saying that no one can use their property. That is the definition of neutral. It is so fucking SAD that I actually have to spell it out for you.

Fuck EA. I guarantee you that they wouldnt have said shit if it had been Hillary doing it. I fucking hate hypocrites

the good news is I already hated EA. This just makes me feel better about that also

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this statement.
    Do both. Its sad that some people don't understand what a DRM means. If you buy a game on steam, it requires steam to run said game.

Steam, Origin and Uplay are distribution platforms, all of them employ DRM to secure the titles they distribute (or sometimes they don't).

Digital Rights Management goes beyond games, by the way. eBooks employ DRM methods, iTunes does, Netflix does... You guys are having a discussion that's moot. Just saying...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    I'm so confused about what was going on there. Was like blm and Hilary Clinton supposed to be the ones attacking America?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Wyrt has the ONLY definition of neutrality. Yours only comes from your lack of understanding of neutral.
    There's an Obama Shepard skin for Mass Effect.

Neutral, right?