Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Let me make clear that i am NOT suggesting animals have clairvoyant control over humans lol. The question at hand is are animals smarter than humans bases on the fact they dont let insignificant things enter their heads like humans do, they are programmed to live their life from birth and dont stray from that.
    you are projecting way too much onto animals...

there is no "let" about it.

What you said could be said in the exact opposite tense and still make sense. Did we tame animals because we were lonely, or did animals tame us because they wanted easy prey.
    Are you just a hyper intelligent cat that is trying to spread propaganda that cats are the master race or something? Because that is the only way that argument makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    you are projecting way too much onto animals...

there is no "let" about it.
    This thread is entirely about animals, i truly feel instincts are the higher form of intelligence when you actually break it down.

This thread is entirely about animals, i truly feel instincts are the higher form of intelligence when you actually break it down.
    But we have instincts. And on top of our instincts we have intelligence.

Let me make clear that i am NOT suggesting animals have clairvoyant control over humans lol. The question at hand is are animals smarter than humans bases on the fact they dont let insignificant things enter their heads like humans do, they are programmed to live their life from birth and dont stray from that.
    That would make them dumber than us, if they are programmed to behave a certain way and do that all throughout their life without straying from it makes them less versatile than us and therefore dumber because they can't adapt to change.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2016-04-11 at 03:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

instincts cant critically think and problem solve. when animals do that they are using their INTELLIGENCE, not instinct. by that, you can say are humans better than animals at this, the answer is yes. so therefore humans are more intelligent.

You cannot come in and have a discussion about intelligence when you try to redefine intelligence to fit into your argument when everyone defines it a certain way. This is not how this works.
    Last edited by Ornerybear; 2016-04-11 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Thats some grade A intelligence right there!

I would argue that we have an "instinct" to do things better than animals. I mean if we are arguing the definition of intelligence then why not argue instinct as well? Where does it end?

instincts cant critically think and problem solve.

You cannot come in and have a discussion about intelligence when you try to redefine intelligence to fit into your argument when everyone defines it differently. This is not how this works.
    Soooo glad you posted this lol. Again you are defining a HUMAN value to intelligence. I have outlined many times in this thread as to why i believe the animal kingdom had it right in the first place. Humans get a lot of confusion along with bad seeds, animals simply know how to live life in the wild via genetics. Ill take the danger of getting eaten over the mind games humans play with themselves anyday. Animals know instictively its good for THEIR HEALTH to play, while humans will argue for literally decades on whether a chicken egg is good or healthy for them. If that example does not get my point across nothing will.

Implicit knowledge is pretty much the defining factor. The knowledge that others may know things that you do not. This is how humans were able to tame animals, form civilization, build cities, and countless other things. We were able to stack our knowledge more deeply because we developed a brain capable of making this leap.
    I have heard of one instance where an animal asked a question. Not sure if it is true, but in all other history, this one thing is what set people apart. Intelligence? Intellect is built through combining ideas--some of our own, and some other's.
    So, no. I do not think there are more intelligent animals on earth.

Given. Intelligence is not survival capability or instinct. I would say if you rated intellect based solely on one's ability to survive, then look no farther then our longest living creatures, they have clearly figured it out.
    Last edited by Gilgemesh; 2016-04-11 at 03:59 PM.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Soooo glad you posted this lol. Again you are defining a HUMAN value to intelligence. I have outlined many times in this thread as to why i believe the animal kingdom had it right in the first place. Humans get a lot of confusion along with bad seeds, animals simply know how to live life in the wild via genetics. Ill take the danger of getting eaten over the mind games humans play with themselves anyday. Animals know instictively its good for THEIR HEALTH to play, while humans will argue for literally decades on whether a chicken egg is good or healthy for them. If that example does not get my point across nothing will.
    there you go, creating your own definitions to fit your argument. I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Intelligence is overrated.
    no it isn't.

Intelligence is completely subjective as we all know. Extrapolate that to the extreme, are we smarter than animals because we can build skyscrapers or map our DNA? Or is it possible animals are smarter because they know burdening yourself with such things is an exercise in futility.

I have always heard people say we are at the top of the food chain because we are the only species that posses the ability to express empathy, but maybe its the complete opposite.

I just get really sick of people patting themselves on the back lol. We arent that smart, sure we have accomplished some things but we also have debilitating flaws that no other species in the animal kingdom has.
    Lol, no. We are the best thing this world has ever produced and intelligence is not subjective in the manner in which you are arguing.
    GM of <Invictus>
    Co-Founder of www.classicwow.live
    Co-Author of the Navak & Egregious 1-60 Horde & Alliance Leveling Guide
    Discord: Egregious#7439
    Twitch
    YouTube

there you go, creating your own definitions to fit your argument. I'm done.
    Wait what? I simply gave an example of an everyday activity. Wild cats know that playing is good for them because it increases their ability in the wild and teaches them to hunt. Humans on the other hand will daily argue whether a chicken egg is good for them or not. I am just trying to get to the root of what is "intelligent". To me it seems animals have it figured out so far. Humans overcomplicate things, no matter if we are at the "top of the food chain" or not. I truly believe humans are a flawed species, out priorities are all out of whack.

Wait what? I simply gave an example of an everyday activity. Wild cats know that playing is good for them because it increases their ability in the wild and teaches them to hunt. Humans on the other hand will daily argue whether a chicken egg is good for them or not. I am just trying to get to the root of what is "intelligent". To me it seems animals have it figured out so far. Humans overcomplicate things, no matter if we are at the "top of the food chain" or not. I truly believe humans are a flawed species, out priorities are all out of whack.
    You are comparing an entire species playing while they are growing up to a niche group of humans arguing about the health of a chicken egg.
    Humans also play growing up. Your example here was fundamentally flawed.
    So when a horribly flawed example is your "ace in the hole example that if this doesn't get your point across, nothing will," then I guess nothing will!

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    You are comparing an entire species playing while they are growing up to a niche group of humans arguing about the health of a chicken egg.
    Humans also play growing up. Your example here was fundamentally flawed.
    Fair enough, but do cats ever argue about chicken eggs?

(gotcha!)

Actually, they don't do it because its good for their health. That is applying human reasoning to animals as well. They do it because they evolved to have a desire to play, because being playful allowed one generation to pass those genes on, because it helps develop motor skills and hunting and fighting skills. It has nothing to do with a preconceived concept of health. Animals don't form such concepts. It's too abstract.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Fair enough, but do cats ever argue about chicken eggs?

(gotcha!)
    If we are just resorting to gotcha tactics, animals will lose every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dolphins are smart. But they're also in fishbowls we built, so we're probably the smartest.