Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    RT blows holes in your propaganda and you want me to stop because it leaves your bullshit exposed? LOL
    RT is the Fox News of Russian government media. You fall for it hook, line, and sinker. No one takes your rants seriously.

RT blows holes in your propaganda and you want me to stop because it leaves your bullshit exposed? LOL
    Wow, that's a really well made argument. Thought out, reasoned. It's practically zen. Fuck, I think I'm going to give you .5 internetz for that, that's how well you presented your case. I'm so proud of you right now, I think I'm going to shed a tear now... ah, there. I'm going to save it in this glas now, because it reminds me of the intellectual superiority of RT and you.

Thank you for enlightening me.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Which neighboring nations had invaded Norway in the past?
    Sweden potentially but that would not be a viable story. Denmark have not invaded Norway in the last millennium or so. Germany did but they are not a neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Wow, that's a really well made argument. Thought out, reasoned. It's practically zen. Fuck, I think I'm going to give you .5 internetz for that, that's how well you presented your case. I'm so proud of you right now, I think I'm going to shed a tear now... ah, there. I'm going to save it in this glas now, because it reminds me of the intellectual superiority of RT and you.

Thank you for enlightening me.
    Eh, you know what's scary? Some of our politicians have been making vague remarks about the necessity of creating a ministry of propaganda to combat the lies and disinformation of the Western media in an organized effort. And you thought Russia Today is bad?

Things like that scare the bejeezus out of me. THAT move would be far too close to pre-war Germany for my comfort.

Even though Western media does try to sell you greasy weasels on occasion, I do give them that.
    Last edited by Hound Archon; 2016-04-23 at 09:10 PM.
    В предчувствии движения племен,
    Разломов тверди и кончины мира
    Пою не то, о чем мечтает лира,
    А имена теней и тень имен.

Quote Originally Posted by Hound Archon View Post
    Eh, you know what's scary? Some of our politicians have been making vague remarks about the necessity of creating a ministry of propaganda to combat the lies and disinformation of the Western media in an organized effort. And you thought Russia Today is bad?

Things like that scare the bejeezus out of me. THAT move would be far too close to pre-war Germany for my comfort.

Even though Western media does try to sell you greasy weasels on occasion, I do give them that.
    To be honest, when people compare RT to Fox News, they got it right. But more so than they think. See, either Russians are sheep that have been conditioned to believe whatever they're told (and lacking the ability to go and read English, most of them can't just go on the internet and research themselves) or they know exactly what's idiocy and what's not.

The exact same, no offense, can be said about Americans. There are some who see Fox News for the comedy that it truly is, but the majority probably believes every single word they say.

Europe seems to be in the unique position that we have like... 26 different media agencies compressed into a small space. We get a lot of bullshit here, too. But I only need to switch to French or English media to verify the actual overlaps in the story to find out what's fiction and what's fact (sadly, the smallest parts usually are facts). I don't know anyone actually who just believes the first tabloid newspaper with titties on the frontpage when they say "MERKEL TURNED NAZI!!! Or so Greece protesters claim..."
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Well, maybe when Russia stops sending submarines and planes to Scandinavian territories without telling us, Scandinavians might not see Russia's power/authority hunger as a threat anymore.

See, either Russians are sheep that have been conditioned to believe whatever they're told (and lacking the ability to go and read English, most of them can't just go on the internet and research themselves) or they know exactly what's idiocy and what's not.
    If you don't mind, we prefer being referred to as "rams" because it is more intimidating and manly. Baa?

We get a lot of bullshit here, too. But I only need to switch to French or English media to verify the actual overlaps in the story to find out what's fiction and what's fact (sadly, the smallest parts usually are facts). I don't know anyone actually who just believes the first tabloid newspaper with titties on the frontpage when they say "MERKEL TURNED NAZI!!! Or so Greece protesters claim..."
    But how many people are actually willing to cross-check their information? An average man in the street does not go out of his way to keep up with the news if the abovementioned news land somewhere out of his comfort zone. Which is why nationalist propaganda sells so well - Russia stronk, hell yeah Murica, and so on and so forth.

I suspect it to be true about every country in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    No he didn't you believe everything your media tells you.
    and you believe everything your media tells you?
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

But how many people are actually willing to cross-check their information? An average man in the street does not go out of his way to keep up with the news if the abovementioned news land somewhere out of his comfort zone. Which is why nationalist propaganda sells so well - Russia stronk, hell yeah Murica, and so on and so forth.

I suspect it to be true about every country in the world.
    Good point. And when I say "the average man probably just cares about the broad gist of the day", that'll be true for Russia and the US as well. Perhaps all this propaganda talk is just bullshit, because people are really getting apathetic these days.

Perhaps all this propaganda talk is just bullshit, because people are really getting apathetic these days.
    I have always viewed propaganda as a means to whip an apathetic population into a frenzy of rabid patriotism.

I have always viewed propaganda as a means to whip an apathetic population into a frenzy of rabid patriotism.
    It really doesn't work as well as it did back in the 40s, does it? I think that alone is a good reason for the internet to exist. You cannot possibly incite someone like me into an irrational rage over something when I can just... you know, get on this forum and ask people from that country what they think.

I mean, let's be frank, Fox News and RT are tame compared to Nazi propaganda. They try to be subtle and shit, but we all know they're just comedy really. They wouldn't even register on the 40s propaganda radar.

It really doesn't work as well as it did back in the 40s, does it? I think that alone is a good reason for the internet to exist. You cannot possibly incite someone like me into an irrational rage over something when I can just... you know, get on this forum and ask people from that country what they think.
    Oh, absolutely. To say the world has changed a lot since then is to say nothing. Perhaps the babble about us reaching "technological singularity" has a point - I am not that old, but I still remember the time when even such everyday things as internet and cellphones were almost unimaginable.

Technology has advanced. Political technology, on the other hand, has not. And that's probably a good thing.

Of course, the key word being "unimaginable". Maybe in another 20 years or so we'll see a leap in applied social sciences with unthinkable implications. Wouldn't that be fun?

I don't think people changed that much since 40s.

For issues that are not "rage-inducing" there is often nothing to be gained from debunking popular opinion, and for issues that are it's hard to change anyone's mind once set.

I mean, let's be frank, Fox News and RT are tame compared to Nazi propaganda. They try to be subtle and shit, but we all know they're just comedy really. They wouldn't even register on the 40s propaganda radar.
    Well, they aren't part of actual war with enemy that actually has decent chance of fighting back yet.

And even for enemies that could not fight back... well, check this:
    http://www.classroomtools.com/iraq_war.htm

That's 2003, not 40s...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    RT is the Fox News of Russian government media. You fall for it hook, line, and sinker. No one takes your rants seriously.
    Fox? Nooooo. Fox takes facts and interprets them in a very biased way. On the other hand, RT takes facts and builds crazy conspiracy theories off them. Neither approach is decent, but I'll take the former over the latter any time.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.