Poll: What was your least favorite expansion?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Between Cataclysm and Warlords, I'd have to say Warlords. Cataclysm at least started off strong despite focusing most of its efforts on revamping the 1-60 experience. Warlords was shallow on content from day one and hasn't added much over the past 17 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Warlords was shallow on content from day one and hasn't added much over the past 17 months.
    Agreed. I mean, there was only actually one actual content patch. (That first one was more like a hotfix with quality of life improvements at best.) Compare this to TBC... where we had a major raid, heroic and quest hub after the alleged final boss (Illidan) was defeated. I wish the guys who did that expansion were back on WoW. I miss that steady stream of content.

Warlords of Draenor.

Once I got my main to 100, I just wasn't interested in anything else the expansion offered. Garrison chores were fun for about a week, and I haven't liked Ashran at all. WoD also seems to be really big on the "raid or GTFO" thing, and I don't raid anymore. I started playing in 2005, and WoD was the first time in any expansion I've gotten bored that quickly.

Planning to come back for Legion though. Even WoD was worth the cost of the game/subscription fee a couple of months because it was at least fun getting my main to 100.

Vanilla is NOT a expansion!!!!!!!

I hated hated hated MoP. It's legit what set me off of wow. I hated all of the raids, I hated Pandaria. I hated the pandas. I don't like the monk class. I don't like anything about it. At all. I raided hardcore halfway through the first tier and absolutely couldn't do it anymore and tried in Throne but I legit cried during lfr cuz the encounters were just soooo boring IMO and even Orgrimmar sucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mop by a long shot. Worst expansion they ever made. Terrible.

WoD has been the only bad expansion imo. The only good thing about WoD are the new models, people say raiding is good too, but Blizzard took that away from me when they made mythic 20 man only.

Cata was my fav, followed by Wrath. MoP was ok too, it just wasnt my thing though so i didnt play it much.

Warlords. 2 raid tiers with a longer drought than SOO is absolutely inexcusable and disgraceful. There is no excuse for it. Smaller MMOS can pump out decent content faster and a team 2-3 times the size of these cant?. If Legion is the same thing then I won't be playing unless they either do it properly which is 2 tiers over with the final tier lasting 6-8 months or 3 tiers over 2 years with 5 months per tier then 5 maybe 6-7 months between Tier 3 and xpac.

15+ Year Old Account
    The current expansion will always win the "worst expansion" contest.

It was this way in MoP, it was this way in Cata, Wrath, BC was considered worse than vanilla, etc.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The current expansion will always win the "worst expansion" contest.

It was this way in MoP, it was this way in Cata, Wrath, BC was considered worse than vanilla, etc.
    Looking forward to the day where people say WoD wasn't all that bad. Didn't take long for people to say the same about MoP.

I don't really understand the hate Cata gets. Dragon Soul was the only bad raid in the whole expansion and the leveling was pretty great for both the post 80 zones and the old world revamp. It added transmog too! Personally, I voted MoP. I got absolutely nothing out of MoP.

I played Vanilla, BC, Wotlk and Cata. Only played 1 month of Mop and 2 weeks of Wod.

I voted Wotlk.
    I stopped playing Cata as soon as I killed Raggy on heroic 10 man (only on reg as 25man) then quit, at this point I was getting tired of WoW and wanted to finish my goal of killing him a second time. The 1 year of no content was a new thing for me with Wotlk and never experienced it with Cata, so I don't have the same opinion as everyone else.
    But a lot of people say Wotlk was so great but I remember the boredom trains in Dalaran. I remember us the first mediocre start to an expansion, with vehicles being poorly implemented in the beginning and Naxx being cleared 3 days after release. It was the first time the majority of the WoW player base did not have content to play for multiple months. After 1 month and playing about 15-20 hours a week, I cleared all content (even OS3drag) and was only playing to level alts or help others gear. For the first time I was becoming bored with WoW.

Ulduar was good and the hard mode system in it kept me going, but was still a little burnt. With The tournament, it felt like the Naxx 2.0 again, just very bland and not well thought out. Did take us a while to kill Anub, but the rest was on farm for a very long time and the feeling of progress stopped quickly. The dailies were mundane and felt like tey only catered to the people who could only get on for an hour then get off. Once ICC released it lifted my whole guild's spitit to be quickly dropped. Each wing was quickly cleared by most people who raided it, which was also most of the player base.

Again, it did take us a very long time to kill the LK and the Heroic modes were okay, but as soon as a wing was cleared multiple times, it felt like the progress just stopped. Getting the gear did not feel like progress, it was being able to kill the boss which was the progress. Anyone can get gear good enough gear, I once leveled a shaman and without guild or main support, I was ICC ready by playing 6 hours of dungeons, then did a ToC group pug. The next day I was accepted into an ICC pug. Gear was easy and it was because the bosses were too easy. 4 months after ICC released, most of my friends had quit and guild went from 2 25 man groups to one 10man and pugging another 10man. Even though were didn't beat everything, it wasn't that things got too hard, it was that it wasn't fun because the feeling of progress was gone since a lot was given to us and we didn't deserve it. This is the expansion where the feeling of progress died.

Cata did momentarily revive it, but that had more to do with so many things being new. All in all, I will say I enjoyed my time in WoW and would not take it back, but even while playing Ulduar, which I would say is the best raid Blizzard has made, I could tell WoW had noticeably changed for the worse.
    Last edited by The3rdCatalyst; 2016-04-15 at 04:32 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Looking forward to the day where people say WoD wasn't all that bad. Didn't take long for people to say the same about MoP.
    Yeah pretty much, as soon as the new expansion rolls around it's the worst expansion ever, and the last one wasn't so bad, although you'll see some people who still thinks the previous expansion was the worst, so there will still be a handful of people who think WoD was the worst expansion when Legion is around, and then the next expansion WoD won't have looked so bad to most.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    definitely WoD thus far. most least fave because the game feels deader than ever before.

raid content has been quite good though, just sparse in content.
    Hi

WoD, and I'm really torn about it. The dungeons and raids are some of the best of any expansion and the leveling was pretty painless. Unfortunately there is nothing at all whatsoever redeeming about the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What was your least favorite expansion and why? Yes this thread is a compliment to the most favorite expansion thread.

For me, I'd have to say Cataclysm because the final encounter with Deathwing was such a letdown. I've been unsubbed for most of WoD so I'm not including it in my personal consideration of least favorite expansions.
    Warlords followed by Cataclysm.

MoP: 8
    BC: 7.5
    Classic: 7.5
    WotLK: 7
    Cata: 5
    WoD: 2.5

I voted WoD for the following reasons:

1. The guild I helped found and that also was in the top 3 on my server for 9 years broke up because the lack of content lead to many long time members calling it quits.
    2. The sheer bait-and-switch; WoD started out great, but if you had told me that it was going to end up with only 2 raid tiers and I'd be spending most of my time in my garrison, I wouldn't have bothered buying it. The fact that it was $10 more expensive only added more salt to the wound.
    3. For the first time in the 10 years I've been playing this game, I canceled my subscription (time runs out next month) because I've flat out run out of things to do that I find fun. If I'm not having fun in a game, I stop playing it, period.

I'm surprised the top WoW brass still have their jobs after losing half of the playerbase thanks to WoD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Where are all the people who say Cata really wasn't so bad?

Right, in your imagination.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Where are all the people who say Cata really wasn't so bad?

Right, in your imagination.
    There are plenty of people who look back and like Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is sorta a bad time to do such a thread like this, WoD is going to feel pretty bad while we are in a content slouch.

Here to be a somewhat hypocrite I'm saying WoD, and I'll probably continue to say WoD during Legion (hopefully).
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions