Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    But other people use them effecting the leveling process. If I entered a dungeon with a loom loaded tank then I may as well go afk.
    Then you don't enter a dungeon if that is a fear. Even at that, before the looms, it could happen as well. Heck, even a tank without looms can do more DPS than a DPS in looms. And if you fall at the feeling of someone else's heirloom choices, then there might be something about MMO's you need to reconsider. The game has progressed to the point where even new players can get an heirloom within no time, everyone has at least one heirloom already.

And if that is a problem, Ironman Challenge, go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    Note that I don't do group instanced content. So this is a curiosity question, not a loaded question.

Is it possible to do a "group finder" for low-level dungeons? Assemble a group of players outfitted in non-heirloom gear, for instance?
    You can created your own non-heirloomed group to run dungeons. But expecting no heirlooms in a random community tool, that is just too wishful. And if you demand it, then it's the wrong choice of game.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Then you don't enter a dungeon if that is a fear. Even at that, before the looms, it could happen as well. Heck, even a tank without looms can do more DPS than a DPS in looms. And if you fall at the feeling of someone else's heirloom choices, then there might be something about MMO's you need to reconsider. The game has progressed to the point where even new players can get an heirloom within no time, everyone has at least one heirloom already.

And if that is a problem, Ironman Challenge, go.

- - - Updated - - -

You can created your own non-heirloomed group to run dungeons. But expecting no heirlooms in a random community tool, that is just too wishful. And if you demand it, then it's the wrong choice of game.
    So I should also stop doing dungeons as well as not using heirlooms? So that means I can't do PvP, dungeons or grouped quests (lol, group). And to enjoy the game the way I used to, I should do the ironman

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    Note that I don't do group instanced content. So this is a curiosity question, not a loaded question.

Is it possible to do a "group finder" for low-level dungeons? Assemble a group of players outfitted in non-heirloom gear, for instance?
    Well I'm sure you could advertise that sort of thing, but finding like minded people to do that would be slim to none. Finding people to level with at low level in LFG is an impossible task without the added special requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I should also stop doing dungeons as well as not using heirlooms? So that means I can't do PvP, dungeons or grouped quests (lol, group). And to enjoy the game the way I used to, I should do the ironman.
    Only your own choice. You marked the question in a method where you would come out as the anti-social person to not accept other's choices. You could just as I said to the other, make your own group without heirlooms. You can't, nor should expect that everyone should go the way you do, just because you think it ruins your leveling experience, while it might be enhancing theirs to be able to get through faster?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Even without heirlooms, mobs die in a few globals. Our characters are just passively strong as well as Blizzard making the mobs even easier to kill after the stat squish.

The only real way to experience leveling like it was in Cataclysm when they revamped the zones is to play the game during Cataclysm with Cataclysm player/enemy stats.

The obvious answer: no.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they overdid it with the amount of slots that the heirlooms cover.

This is sort of a, now a famous blizz quote, "you think you want that, but you don't" kind of thing. Power progression is important and always has been for the game, so naturally most will opt for as many heirlooms as possible. This sort of demolishes the questing experience but at the same time makes it go by so quickly so that the "garbage time-waste" of leveling at least is a short one. On the other hand, if the heirlooms didn't exist, you would probably have enjoyed your power progression, and thus your leveling, more. Even if it took longer to do.

To opt OUT of using heirlooms, even though you have access to them, is inefficient and stifles your progression, and thus the vast majority will likely never consider it. See flying/anti-flying discussion thread.

Though I'm not against an increased exp gain for alts. I do wish though that it could have been a passive flat % buff you somehow earned instead. That would leave gear progression in as a factor. The issue with interrupted quest chains could be solved by retuning the main quest chains to take your increased exp gain into account.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only your own choice. You marked the question in a method where you would come out as the anti-social person to not accept other's choices. You could just as I said to the other, make your own group without heirlooms. You can't, nor should expect that everyone should go the way you do, just because you think it ruins your leveling experience, while it might be enhancing theirs to be able to get through faster?
    It doesnt enhance anything though but speed up the game and make you a bulldozer, imho looms should offer an xp boots and that its. But as someone has mentioned below its not just looms but the whole watering down of enemy mobs. I read a few weeks back someone done a test leaving Northshire Abbey and it took in excess of almost 20 hits to be killed at level 1, it once used to be 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesnt enhance anything though but speed up the game and make you a bulldozer, imho looms should offer an xp boots and that its. But as someone has mentioned below its not just looms but the whole watering down of enemy mobs. I read a few weeks back someone done a test leaving Northshire Abbey and it took in excess of almost 20 hits to be killed at level 1, it once used to be 2.
    Even without looms, a lvl one can survive for about 5 hits. (last I tried, then again, not in habbit of dying on purpose). And adding armor with the boost only, no stats, then you would cripple your leveling experience too. And then they could say that you guys with stats on are ruining their experience, and thus it starts all over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even without looms, a lvl one can survive for about 5 hits. (last I tried, then again, not in habbit of dying on purpose). And adding armor with the boost only, no stats, then you would cripple your leveling experience too. And then they could say that you guys with stats on are ruining their experience, and thus it starts all over.
    I'm pissing against the wind really mate. For me the game is broken so maybe you're right, I should just pack my shit and just move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pissing against the wind really mate. For me the game is broken so maybe you're right, I should just pack my shit and just move on.
    Don't piss against the wind, mate, that's nasty.

Deleted
    If heirlooms ruin your leveling experience, don't use them. That is how simple it is.
    If it actually was that simple, there wouldn't be threads like this. But unfortunately humans don't work like that. Hence threads like this. Sure I could play golf with only a putter to make it more challenging, but that would be pretty damn stupid given that there are irons and woods and drivers. It wouldn't make me enjoy the game more, it would make me feel like I'm wasting my time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    If it actually was that simple, there wouldn't be threads like this. But unfortunately humans don't work like that. Hence threads like this. Sure I could play golf with only a putter to make it more challenging, but that would be pretty damn stupid given that there are irons and woods and drivers. It wouldn't make me enjoy the game more, it would make me feel like I'm wasting my time.
    Golf isn't designed to be played with just a putter, WoW isn't designed to be played with heirlooms either. Unless they intended for you to one shot most mobs as a tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Though, your example is now, but isn't fitting. Your heirlooms would be that of woods and irons, and you wouldn't join a gold tournament without all your equipment.

Deleted
    Though, your example is now, but isn't fitting. Your heirlooms would be that of woods and irons, and you wouldn't join a gold tournament without all your equipment.
    How about this then: Lets make the highest ilvl gear and all achievements available from a vendor for free. You don't have to use them, you can still go do the raids. And if someone else does use them, it doesn't impact your playing in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about this then: Lets make the highest ilvl gear and all achievements available from a vendor for free. You don't have to use them, you can still go do the raids. And if someone else does use them, it doesn't impact your playing in any way.
    That is just a more whiny idea, and isn't really even in the same area as heirlooms. Heirlooms are just a tool, you can choose to chop down a tree with a saw or a chainsaw, you get through the same wood but in different times.

Deleted
    That is just a more whiny idea, and isn't really even in the same area as heirlooms. Heirlooms are just a tool, you can choose to chop down a tree with a saw or a chainsaw, you get through the same wood but in different times.
    The highest ilvl gear is just a tool too. You can choose to raid without picking it up from a vendor (chop the tree down with an axe), or you can pick up the gear (chop the tree down with a chain saw).

Quote Originally Posted by Xaviaton View Post
    Like most people who have characters at max level, I've got several heirloom items and I have leveled several characters by suiting up and powering through the levels. Leveling a new character is basically just a race to hit the level cap as fast as possible. After the world revamp in Cataclysm, most zones provide great quest chains but with heirlooms, you hit the max recommended level for the zone before these chains are finished and you move on. As an experiment I tried out leveling without heirlooms again, just to fit the levels in. I realized that not only can I enjoy the questing again, but actually upgrading my equipment while leveling makes the leveling enjoyable, and without overpowered gear I actually have to focus on what I'm doing.

I am basically wondering if anyone else has found heirlooms to suck the fun out of leveling? Do people generally dislike leveling so much that you prefer to get it over with as fast as possible? Do you think heirlooms could be changed somehow?
    They're only feasibly viable to someone who has already leveled. No first time player is getting thousands of gold to get them before leveling.

And leveling a second or third time has nothing to ruin, it's a slog you've already been through.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Assumi View Post
    No first time player is getting thousands of gold to get them before leveling.
    You can buy gold from Blizzard with cash.

Looms are boon for people who have already lvld 15+ alts - It makes it easier, faster, and dungeons are a breeze if you have 1 or 2 loom geared people in it.

I lvld 4 toons back in Vanilla without looms and it took quite along time to do so back then.

Edit. And with CRZ there are plenty of people lvling alts etc. unless you play very late or very early ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    The highest ilvl gear is just a tool too. You can choose to raid without picking it up from a vendor (chop the tree down with an axe), or you can pick up the gear (chop the tree down with a chain saw).
    You aren't even getting it, are you? Highest ilvl gear in the example I used, would mean it's at the top of the tree. You don't just get there, you have to work your way there. Having a vendor selling you stuff is just a lazy and non-comparable result towards heirlooms being there and almost a standard now a days.

Heirlooms aren't a problem, I have seen thousands of groups accepting people in without heirlooms, if some people without heirlooms expect people to as well not use them, then they should make their own group or generally stop expecting people to follow their lead.

Seriously, we're in a day and time where people throw free heirlooms at other people (the damn trinket).

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy gold from Blizzard with cash.
    Yeah, you're missing two steps in this phrase, but it's not the thread for that.