Thread: Darnassus

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Darnassus

Could some one tell me about Darnassus History ?
    because I'm now reading illidan novel and the timeline confuse me
    thanks for help
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

after warcraft 3 frozen throne malfurion went back into the emerald dream so Fandral Staghelm decided to make a new home for the night elves considering ashenvale is being contested by orcs and demon remnants were still in hyjal so planted a new world tree on the island that grew into teldrassil

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkdude103 View Post
    after warcraft 3 frozen throne malfurion went back into the emerald dream so Fandral Staghelm decided to make a new home for the night elves considering ashenvale is being contested by orcs and demon remnants were still in hyjal so planted a new world tree on the island that grew into teldrassil
    I'm pretty sure of what you were talking about
    but Maive shadowsong Remember the city clearly which make no sense
    something is wrong
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    What confuses me is Maiev's statement that she wanted to see Darnassus one more time before she died. Didn't she follow Illidan through the Dark Portal? Before Darnassus was a thing? When did she ever see it to begin with?
    "All of Time and Space. Everything that ever was or ever will be. Where do you want to start?"

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafting View Post
    What confuses me is Maiev's statement that she wanted to see Darnassus one more time before she died. Didn't she follow Illidan through the Dark Portal? Before Darnassus was a thing? When did she ever see it to begin with?
    Exactly it make no sense

It's never been stated whether Darnassus was created directly after the Third War or after the events of TFT.

Since Maiev went after Illidan during TFT it's entirely possible that Darnassus was formed immediately following the Third War. In which case Maiev could have visited it and spent some time there before heading off on to look for Illidan again during TFT.

People seem to forget there was roughly a year between the battle of Hyjal and TFT whenever this comes up. Plenty of time for Darn to be created and Maiev to have visited it.
    Last edited by Erbel; 2016-04-17 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    It's never been stated whether Darnassus was created directly after the Third War or after the events of TFT.

Since Maiev went after Illidan during TFT it's entirely possible that Darnassus was formed immediately following the Third War. In which case Maiev could have visited it and spent some time there before heading off on to look for Illidan again during TFT.

People seem to forget there was roughly a year between the battle of Hyjal and TFT whenever this comes up. Plenty of time for Darn to be created and Maiev to have visited it.
    I think it was 3 months.

Darnassus and Teldrassil in general are very misrepresented in-game due mostly out of limitations to whatever terrain generation software they had back in the early 2000s when WoW's landscape was being designed. Its supposed to be a large tree in the same scope of Nordrassil, but is instead a large plateau shaped rock in-game with Darnassus at the top (making the elevation of the city the highest point in Azeroth, much higher than Mount Neverest).

Also, here it is with max view distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post

Darnassus definitely was built after the events of TFT. According to "Stormrage", it was supposedly built after Teldrassil grew, and Fandral only became Arch-Druid and carried on his plan to grow Teldrassil after Malfurion went missing in the Emerald Dream. By TFT, Malfurion was still pretty much awake and running around.

However, in "Illidan", Maiev remembered infernals attacking Darnassus so the city should be around during the first (WoTA), or second (RoC) war with the Legion - both happened before TFT. There seems to be a bit of a contradiction here.

If you are to ask, in my opinion, King probably made a mistake. Because it was a minor mistake (it didn't affect the story any little bit), it slipped through the proof reading / editing process. However, if we really want to give it an explanation other than "Hmm, King probably messed up that part", then we could probably use the theories such as
    (1) There was once an ancient NE city called Darnassus before. It was ruined in a war with the Legion (could be either WoTA or RoC event), and the NE later named the current Darnassus after that ruined Darnassus. or
    (2) Darnassus was a small city / town / village way before Teldrassil (the tree) was created. The tree just pushed the city and the land around up when it grew, and after the NE decided to make it their new capital, they built new buildings and turned it into a city.

While both were a bit of a stretch, technically, neither of them conflicted with current lore.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2016-04-17 at 03:51 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

I honestly think that darnassus was created before maiev went to outland. Most likely before tyrande was saved by illidan and mal.

That or it was created AFTER reign of chaos, not frozen throne.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Darnassus and Teldrassil in general are very misrepresented in-game due mostly out of limitations to whatever terrain generation software they had back in the early 2000s when WoW's landscape was being designed. Its supposed to be a large tree in the same scope of Nordrassil, but is instead a large plateau shaped rock in-game with Darnassus at the top (making the elevation of the city the highest point in Azeroth, much higher than Mount Neverest).

But instead of fixing that in Cataclysm, they made Orgrimmar much more spiky and metal.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    But instead of fixing that in Cataclysm, they made Orgrimmar much more spiky and metal.
    Well to be fair Orgrimmar was largely just smoke and mirrors in vanilla. They had to completely scrap Stormwind, Undercity and Orgrimmar and remake new ones. Thunder Bluff and Darnassus didn't use any design tricks I believe.

In one of the books (wolfheart?) maiev goes back to azeroth and goes batshit crazy in darnassus and tries to take over leadership of the night elves because malfurion lets the highborn back into their society. I'm sure someone who's actually read the book can sum it up better than me :P

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    In one of the books (wolfheart?) maiev goes back to azeroth and goes batshit crazy in darnassus and tries to take over leadership of the night elves because malfurion lets the highborn back into their society. I'm sure someone who's actually read the book can sum it up better than me :P
    That happened after the event in "Illidan".
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Oh. Derp. If she said that in the Illidan book it just seems like a mistake tbh, kind of like how Garrosh had gorehowl in the flashback to northrend in warcrimes.

7+ Year Old Account
    The book is wrong. Someone at Blizzard got sloppy when proofing it for mistakes. No more and no less than that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post

nice , never saw that view before

Just another instance of Blizzard not caring about their story, counting only on the NPC names and big flashy (but irrational and mary-sue-ish) characters and events to pull people into WoW.

The only way WoW's story can ever be treated with respect is if the Warcraft movie does well, since movies are all just story, with some visual aspect to them. If the story is terrible and inconsistent and as full of holes as WoW's is, the movie will be bad and WoW's story will have no hope left. If the movie does well, then it might attract more people to the game and then Blizzard will be forced to put the story people in charge, and let /them/ decide who the raid developers make raids and dungeons about. If the movie is good, then people who enjoyed its consistent story will come to the game and expect the same thing, forcing Blizzard to put a little more effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    The only way WoW's story can ever be treated with respect is if the Warcraft movie does well, since movies are all just story, with some visual aspect to them
    Movies don't need a good story to be successful, just look at the bay movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Movies don't need a good story to be successful, just look at the bay movies.
    I suppose. But hopefully it is good, and people like it for the story more than the fights or anything else.