Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiki854 View Post
    Other intelligent beings do not exist in our galaxy, and in all likelihood, humanity will never make contact with another alien form of life, let alone an intelligent one. And even if we did, we probably wouldn't realize it.
    This is quite possible. We might not even realize we met something intelligent since the only example of intelligence we have is, well, ourselves. Theres a good chance we would miss them entirely, and talking from their point of view, if any of them saw us THEY might not have even considered us intelligent from their perspective.

So many variables, so many possibilities, so.. many.. its brain melting.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    What if we are the most advanced civilization out there? What if we...are the first contact.
    Then there's a whole lot of aliens who are going to need frozen bags of peas.

Please stop using the word "evolve" if you don't know what it means.

"What If Aliens are waiting for us to Evolve"

They will die from waiting then.

Human race is headed into destruction, by our own hands, and is fueled by greed. All forms of greed.

As the technology goes up, the control will be somewhat easier and you can't really "reset" everything by "killing the king". Aint gonna work in modern world.

Yeah, welcome to monday, b*tches

Deleted
    If they are waiting for us to evolve... they can wait a looooong time.

We are still the same primates we were 6000 years ago, only with access to advanced technology.

We are stuck in a marble.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

I believe there is one thing out there that all other advanced life looks for in potential prospects, and that's light speed capability. i know i know, "go watch star trek bro" or "mass effect much?"

But I believe that's the one, pun intended here, UNIVERSAL capability a life race has to achieve.

I think if that were to happen all other things would fall into place. Humanity would finally see the uselessness of being divided. Racism, at least human to human racism, would die. So would sexism. After that humanity would be able to do anything. We've always been a swarm of sorts, we just tend to sting ourselves. And then evolution. Humanity is well on its way to body enhancements with advanced robotics. OVERWATCH SHIT SON
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by tiki854 View Post
    Other intelligent beings do not exist in our galaxy, and in all likelihood, humanity will never make contact with another alien form of life, let alone an intelligent one. And even if we did, we probably wouldn't realize it.
    No one know for sure however wouldn't be surprised if there is 100's of intelligent civilizations in our Galaxy. It is possible that the Universe is flooded with life and intelligent life. We just don't know.

I know we will make contact with another Alien life form because we will continue to develop and move out of this solar system. If for some strange reason we stayed on earth then no we wouldn't find Alien life. Just see that as highly unlikely that we will stay here. Of course Earth will always be our home planet but I do believe we will reach out throughout the Galaxy exploring perhaps even Terraforming other planets.

Life could be very abundant in the galaxy and many different types of life evolves everywhere a ruling Type III civilization controls the galaxy and whenever life evolves to a point where they become a dot on the radar they immediately get wiped out and reset to zero.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Please stop using the word "evolve" if you don't know what it means.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociocultural_evolution

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    If they are waiting for us to evolve they are going to have to wait for a really really long time. I wouldn't hold my breath if I was them, that is if they even breath like us.

There are no Aliens, just flying demons ok.
    Uncle Dolan maths.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think this question is very well thought out.

In order to really appreciate how astronomically unlikely it is that we will ever be in contact with another species, I refer to the "Cosmic Calendar"; in short, if 12:00 on January 1 was the Big Bang, and 12:00 on January 1 of the following year was "right now", then all of the events that took place in the Universe since its formation fall in between.

Our best estimate is that the Universe is 13.772 billion years old. Earth is 4.543 billion years old, which would place its formation somewhere on September 6th of the Cosmic Calendar. Our species, "homo sapiens" didn't appear on Earth until 11:52PM on December 31st of the Cosmic Calendar. The first human cities didn't appear until 11:59:46 - 14 seconds to midnight. In fact, Columbus didn't arrive in the Americas until 1 second to midnight.

Now, in the interest of simplicity, let's use that point (because otherwise we're dealing with fractions) as a reference point for when we started watching the skies. Of the 31,557,600 seconds in a year, we've only been looking for one of them.

How long will we be looking? Who can say how long the human race will live? Some cynics might not give us very long. But even optimists have to face reality: there will come a day when we are no more.

For argument's sake, let's say we live for another 1.58 million years -- hopelessly optimistic, I know, but there's a method to my madness: 1.58 million years corresponds to 1 hour on the Cosmic Calendar. So we live for another 3600 seconds. 0.0114% of the Universe's lifetime. A blink of an eye.

Now, this is all well and good, and you might be asking "What does this have to do with finding another species?"

Let's first make a few optimistic assumptions.
    First, let's assume that life in our Universe is both abundant (likely) and intelligent (plausible, although probably not common). Let's also assume that it is something that would fit our definition life (probably, but not in all cases), and we could communicate with them (not likely at all.)

Consider first the size of the Universe. Then consider the extremely short window we're in it. Then consider the likelihood that another species will be in an equally short window. And finally, consider the chances that our "slice" of time intersects with their slice of time.

Are there other species out there, right now? Almost certainly. Intelligent ones, too. However, the likelihood that they will be at the point in their civilization where they will be able to communicate with us, while at the same time intersecting with our civilization's existence is very small. And then when you consider the huge size of the Universe - or even our galaxy - you see that the chances of all of these variables ending up in our favour are fairly low. Impossible? No. But chances are, most civilizations rise and fall without having ever met another.

I don't think ours will be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    Life could be very abundant in the galaxy and many different types of life evolves everywhere a ruling Type III civilization controls the galaxy and whenever life evolves to a point where they become a dot on the radar they immediately get wiped out and reset to zero.

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociocultural_evolution
    I have heard of that theory before and find it fascinating. Could totally be true. What if Mars had intelligent life first and an advanced civilization far great then ours millions of years ago then an Alien race wiped it out because they became a threat and a blimp on the radar so to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    I don't think this question is very well thought out.

In order to really appreciate how astronomically unlikely it is that we will ever be in contact with another species, I refer to the "Cosmic Calendar"; in short, if 12:00 on January 1 was the Big Bang, and 12:00 on January 1 of the following year was "right now", then all of the events that took place in the Universe since its formation fall in between.

Our best estimate is that the Universe is 13.772 billion years old. Earth is 4.543 billion years old, which would place its formation somewhere on September 6th of the Cosmic Calendar. Our species, "homo sapiens" didn't appear on Earth until 11:52PM on December 31st of the Cosmic Calendar. The first human cities didn't appear until 11:59:46 - 14 seconds to midnight. In fact, Columbus didn't arrive in the Americas until 1 second to midnight.

Now, in the interest of simplicity, let's use that point (because otherwise we're dealing with fractions) as a reference point for when we started watching the skies. Of the 31,557,600 seconds in a year, we've only been looking for one of them.

How long will we be looking? Who can say how long the human race will live? Some cynics might not give us very long. But even optimists have to face reality: there will come a day when we are no more.

For argument's sake, let's say we live for another 1.58 million years -- hopelessly optimistic, I know, but there's a method to my madness: 1.58 million years corresponds to 1 hour on the Cosmic Calendar. So we live for another 3600 seconds. 0.0114% of the Universe's lifetime. A blink of an eye.

Now, this is all well and good, and you might be asking "What does this have to do with finding another species?"

Let's first make a few optimistic assumptions.
    First, let's assume that life in our Universe is both abundant (likely) and intelligent (plausible, although probably not common). Let's also assume that it is something that would fit our definition life (probably, but not in all cases), and we could communicate with them (not likely at all.)

Consider first the size of the Universe. Then consider the extremely short window we're in it. Then consider the likelihood that another species will be in an equally short window. And finally, consider the chances that our "slice" of time intersects with their slice of time.

Are there other species out there, right now? Almost certainly. Intelligent ones, too. However, the likelihood that they will be at the point in their civilization where they will be able to communicate with us, while at the same time intersecting with our civilization's existence is very small. And then when you consider the huge size of the Universe - or even our galaxy - you see that the chances of all of these variables ending up in our favour are fairly low. Impossible? No. But chances are, most civilizations rise and fall without having ever met another.

I don't think ours will be any different.
    Just want to say great post thanks!! Put many things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Or worthy of exploitation.
    I would buy into that, however at what point have we not been exploitable to some extent?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbomb View Post
    I honestly think we are heading to an Abundant future of unlimited resources and never seen before quality of life.
    so dwindling IQ levels as 3rd world genetics take the place of ours and the destruction of enlightened cultures through cultural displacement lead you to believe that we will go forward......

you can't drive forward when the cars in reverse
    we are headed toward the stone age

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    so dwindling IQ levels as 3rd world genetics take the place of ours and the destruction of enlightened cultures through cultural displacement lead you to believe that we will go forward......

you can't drive forward when the cars in reverse
    we are headed toward the stone age
    IQ is just one form of intelligence and genetics have no big influence on it. Most of it depends on the (social) environment in which the child grows up. If you support the development of your child early on the chance is high that his IQ will be higher in his later life. Poor families and families in third world countries often don't have the time and money for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Renyo View Post
    IQ is just one form of intelligence and genetics have no big influence on it. Most of it depends on the (social) environment in which the child grows up. If you support the development of your child early on the chance is high that his IQ will be higher in his later life. Poor families and families in third world countries often don't have the time and money for that.
    yes...because biology stops where humans begin......do you honestly believe this crap?

blank slaters lol

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    yes...because biology stops where humans begin......do you honestly believe this crap?

blank slaters lol
    No, biology (or genetics) is one factor. There are only vague estimates on how big the influence is. As far as I know there is evidence that some genes make up 3% of your intelligence, the estimates for the total influence generally range from ~20% to ~50%. It will probably take years to get a specific percentage. Intelligence is very complex and there are many genes and other factors influencing it. Those are in general: socioeconomic, parenting, nutrition and maybe even envoronmental pollution. Also the IQ is not constant, especially not in younger ages, it can increase and also decrease.

10+ Year Old Account
    it is likely the aliens are already among us, influencing governments and increasing climate change.
    Hi

Never happen. Humans have stopped adapting to our environment and have steadily adapted our environment to us. We aren't going to hit any hypothetical evolutionary goals without outside pressures forcing us to evolve.