Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Coercion" is a non-starter, yes, but "lured" fits.

On a side note; if they're feeding 400 students once a week, I have to ask if the city requires a permit for events of that size in the public park (and whether they have such a permit), as well as whether they'd be expected to abide by health code standards and such for food service. Since this isn't just a friendly group of a couple dozen students, at this point. They should be meeting the same kind of health standards as soup kitchens and the like.
    Aren't you kind of tired of government regulations? Also, I don't think this would be considered an event, nor are they selling the food so they wouldn't be considered vendors.

What's next, Health Department permits for bringing orange slices to your kids soccer games?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Yes, it still is a free choice.

Temptation isn't a defense against choice.

I am sure the majority of the student body do not attend this lunch. I am sure young Timmy has plenty of options during a 30 minute lunch break.

Even in the most extreme cases, Timmy isn't guaranteed friends or people to hang out with during the 30 minute lunch break.
    Please, any judge would already have a strike against the Jesus Mothers on disrupting school operations and showing coercion would be easy to prove through the children of the people who are hosting the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Deleted
    Personally, I feel like MMO-Champion's rules about religion should be applied to all public places, media and so on; don't talk about it. Keep it in your own home and in your religious building, just don't bring it out to the public.

Incidentally, I don't believe we have any such laws here in Finland, but that's how it's always worked here. Nobody here talks about religion. Ever. Anywhere. Well, except a couple church-related news articles every now and then. But yeah, besides that, nope. Having a bunch of people offer free lunch to schoolkids and then spread religion? Yeah, that wouldn't fly here.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    The school could always just pull the open lunch policy, and piss off more students than just those that attend the park lunch.
    THAT is the fix. It would cause some outrage, but that is something with in their power and that would fix the problem. They need to stop impeding free speech though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Please, any judge would already have a strike against the Jesus Mothers on disrupting school operations and showing coercion would be easy to prove through the children of the people who are hosting the event.
    Easy to prove o people like you, maybe. The rest of us know what the word means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Personally, I feel like MMO-Champion's rules about religion should be applied to all public places, media and so on; don't talk about it. Keep it in your own home and in your religious building, just don't bring it out to the public.

Incidentally, I don't believe we have any such laws here in Finland, but that's how it's always worked here. Nobody here talks about religion. Ever. Anywhere. Well, except a couple church-related news articles every now and then. But yeah, besides that, nope. Having a bunch of people offer free lunch to schoolkids and then spread religion? Yeah, that wouldn't fly here.
    Yeh, no thanks, I like my speech free. Thanks for the bad idea though.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The public would not be able to use the park when 200+ students are there, and school officials will not just throw up there hands and say "Oh this isn't school grounds anymore, I guess it's fine to let 200 children be unsupervised during school hours, see you guys in 30!"
    So in this thread, you know how big this park is, the size of this gathering somehow disallows others to use the park, and that the majority of the students attend this lunch?

How were you able to learn all this vital information?

Lastly, I drive by many public parks on a daily basis at different times. They are never used. They are generally always empty.

I would love to see families gathered up and enjoying each other's company and the weather.

I have never seen or heard anyone ever saying "boy, I couldn't use of the public parks today because there were so many people there".

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, OK. I mean, the vast majority of the population of the US is Christian, so you might as well just use that logic to the entire country, then.
    But there are areas and cities with Muslim populations/Muslim neighborhoods. Hosting an Islamic event in a park with a local Muslim community is not equal to hosting an Islamic event in a park with no local Muslim community, is what I'm saying, because fair or not it changes the tone of the event. The same would be true for any religion under similar circumstances. I would have the same hesitation about a Christian event being held in an area that has no local Christian population, simply because it raises questions that are otherwise absent.

What school operations are they disrupting?

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Imaginary ones, like his other hypotheticals
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    It sickens ME that religious groups keep trying to brainwash kids like this. Kick those 'jesus moms' the fuck out of the park and keep them the fuck away from the children. I am SO glad that religion got pulled out of most of the schools now a days, but this is exactly what it is - religious nuts trying to force religion back into schools.

Keep that shit at home, brainwash your own kids (or better yet, don't), and stay the hell away from schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Do cities apply health code standards to family picnics? If not, then why should they here? Its just a large friends and family picnic.
    No. It isn't. They're serving to the public. That's sort of the point; they're open to kids they don't know coming over.

Aren't you kind of tired of government regulations?
    Since we're talking about the kind of regulations that prevent people serving tainted food to the public, no, not really.

Also, I don't think this would be considered an event, nor are they selling the food so they wouldn't be considered vendors.
    Doesn't matter if it's sold. It matters if it's provided to the public. Hence why I compared it with a soup kitchen.

What's next, Health Department permits for bringing orange slices to your kids soccer games?
    That's serving to your family's friends. That's not remotely the same.

If you set up a stall giving out orange slices at children's soccer games, though, absolutely yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    It sickens ME that religious groups keep trying to brainwash kids like this. Kick those 'jesus moms' the fuck out of the park and keep them the fuck away from the children. I am SO glad that religion got pulled out of most of the schools now a days, but this is exactly what it is - religious nuts trying to force religion back into schools.

Keep that shit at home, brainwash your own kids (or better yet, don't), and stay the hell away from schools.
    The children are not forced to attend (at most it is about 25% of the school's population).
    Religious clubs are legal on school grounds.

Sorry, Religion is not now, nor has it ever been out of schools. The only prohibited behavior is school officials and teachers leading it and enforcing it at a school event.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Wisconsin is a very open, liberal, and tolerant state compared to most places in America or elsewhere. It just sucks to see our openness becoming a one-way street. Again, I repeat, if these were Muslims, there would be no attempt to stop them. I'm an atheist, so I'm not here to defend Christians, I simply seek to defend liberal western liberal values as a whole.

Btw I have been living in Madison (near Middleton) for 2 years, attending UW. I'm originally from Waukesha county, which is perhaps the most conservative area of our state, and even there the conservatism is a non-hate filled watered down version of the right wing. Wisconsin is overall quite delightful, which is why it sucks to see stories like this.
    I cant seem to find anything on Wisconsin food laws which would prevent these mothers from donating these sandwiches, it appears that the laws are targeted really to businesses and food pantries.
    I did however find this
    https://www.congress.gov/congression...e-report/661/1

In 1996, Congress passed the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act. The act encourages food donation by limiting liability of businesses and nonprofits which donate and distribute food to those in need. The legislation allows that any person or business that donates, or any non-profit that receives food and groceries, “shall not be subject to civil or criminal liability arising from the nature, age, packaging, or condition of apparently wholesome food or an apparently fit grocery product that the person or gleaner donates [or non-profit receives] in good faith… for ultimate distribution to needy individuals.”
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2016-04-18 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Not in Middleton, Wisconsin. Or honestly, anywhere in Wisconsin. Not a whole lot of rednecks around here. There's plenty of backwoods rural types, but they aren't the cliche that is often seen down south.
    But apparently they're not non-cliche enough to not beg the question about and then complain about muslims, though.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    So in this thread, you know how big this park is, the size of this gathering somehow disallows others to use the park, and that the majority of the students attend this lunch?

How were you able to learn all this vital information?

Lastly, I drive by many public parks on a daily basis at different times. They are never used. They are generally always empty.

I would love to see families gathered up and enjoying each other's company and the weather.

I have never seen or heard anyone ever saying "boy, I couldn't use of the public parks today because there were so many people there".
    It's called google. The Jesus Mothers would have a hell of a time proving that they weren't disrupting school operations. The answer will come out when the judge would ask; "Why wasn't there any consideration for a Jesus Dinner?" Which would not disrupted school operations or hours, and they wouldn't have the school officials monitoring the children?

So you believe that high school students are not able to make a spiritual choice for themselves when given different options. That any religious message that a high school student might encounter is harmful and brainwashing?

Man, your hate is...unreasonable.

But no, free speech should not be impeded "just because"
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Amazing how many extremely hateful and intolerant people there are.

Based on how some are posting, I would expect the bicycle falling over meme.

"DAMN CHRISTIANS!!!"

15+ Year Old Account
    What, you think herding 200 children in from the outside is something that could be done in a reasonable amount of time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    I cant seem to find anything on Wisconsin food laws which would prevent these mothers from donating these sandwiches, it appears that the laws are targeted really to businesses and food pantries.
    I did however find this

In 1996, Congress passed the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act. The act encourages food donation by limiting liability of businesses and nonprofits which donate and distribute food to those in need. The legislation allows that any person or business that donates, or any non-profit that receives food and groceries, “shall not be subject to civil or criminal liability arising from the nature, age, packaging, or condition of apparently wholesome food or an apparently fit grocery product that the person or gleaner donates [or non-profit receives] in good faith… for ultimate distribution to needy individuals.”
    All that's really saying is that, if the "good Samaritan" unwittingly give someone food poisoning or accidentally give something with an allergen in it with someone who is allergic to said thing, you can't sue their asses over it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's serving to your family's friends. That's not remotely the same.
    What if someone you don't know wants an orange slice? Call the City Health Inspector?
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.