Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Yes.

Some people hate Christianity for a reason.

Keep in mind that we are not forcing our beliefs on anyone.

So tell me: why do people hate us so much?
    Because there are Christians that are very bad at following the teaching of Jesus and make Christianity look bad. That's not Christianity working well, that's Christianity working very poorly.

This whole post basically started out hanging over the Cliff of Forbidden Topics though, I don't think we can discuss any more in this direction.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2016-04-18 at 11:27 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Right. We have a cult of hate. In a country with a robust immigration policy, where hundreds of thousands if not millions try to immigrate to.

Yep, culture of hate.

Maybe you could use a bit of scrutiny in your acceptance though since you allow adult Muslim men to bring in, or go overseas and return with child brides as young as 9 years old and give them welfare and housing, on the tax payers bill.

Maybe you shouldn't be that accepting as your government gives tacit approval of child rape on the basis of Muslim acceptance.

Oh its good to see you know nothing about who we are taking in and how any of it works. Instead you just spouts random, unsourced shit like you always do. We are taking in families and already established immigrants who were settled in mostly jordanian refugee camps.

You think people immigrate there for acceptance? No, its because of the money they can earn for their families and its a better life than what they have in their wartorn or unstable countries. Also what you said contributes to the cult of hate that i mentioned. It's completely ridiculous.

Yes.

People does not hate you or your beliefs.
    you're simply (as a religion) losing power, rapidly. that makes you believe that there's a war on christianity, but actually there's only a sharp increase of laicism, and the demand that church and state (public schools) are separated.
    and i tell you this as a person who is
    white (well, latino but from european descent)
    catholic raised in a jesuit school
    heterosexual (with a gf)
    currently in a business school

now, understand. Christianity had a lot of power in the west from the last 1600 years (since the romans made christianity legal, and then the state religion). now, they're losing power
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2016-04-18 at 11:46 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    then why are you advocating for those that are against the lunch to protest and disrupt it if you aren't anti-Christian?
    wouldn't you not call those that protest and disrupt a LGBT lunch and meeting Anti-LGBT?
    No, because Christianity is a belief, an idea. It's up for discussion. Being anti-LGBT is by definition bigoted, an intolerance for certain people based on who they are.

You're also conflating discussion with disruption.

Again, why is this even a topic?

No seriously, why are we even discussing this?

We have better things to worry about.
    Because we don't have to limit ourselves that way, to begin with.

Legally, and even morally, the school officials are in the wrong here.

1. Leasing the park does not privatize the park. It is still public for anyone. Trying to block anyone is grounds enough for a suit IMO.

2. They allow their students to eat wherever they want during lunch hours.

3. What exactly is wrong with Christian gatherings outside class times? Are they preaching any form of hate? Are they acting like some cult? If not, let people be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    losing power...
    We're still here.

Yes.

Do you speak for all Christians? There are some that want to force beliefs on others. Forcing beliefs is not exclusive to Christians though, I have beef with any radical.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, because Christianity is a belief, an idea. It's up for discussion. Being anti-LGBT is by definition bigoted, an intolerance for certain people based on who they are.

You're also conflating discussion with disruption.
    being a Christian is being part of who you are just ask any Christian and they will tell you so and who the hell are you to say any different

10+ Year Old Account
    being a Christian is being part of who you are just ask any Christian and they will tell you so and who the hell are you to say any different
    If you're trying to tell me that you're born inherently Christian, then I'm going to point out that you're being ridiculous. Your faith has to do with how you're raised, not your biology, unlike your sexual orientation.

I used to be fairly devout. I was debating doing a religious degree, and nearly ended up minoring in it as it was. I've lapsed, since, and I'm pretty agnostic-atheist today. It was absolutely a belief, the whole time, and I never thought it was ever anything more. In fact, the idea that it could be inherent is an implicit attack on the very concept of faith, to begin with. The value to faith comes because it's a choice.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-04-19 at 12:03 AM.

it's still a belief. you can change a belief. you cant change who you were born into.
    i was raised catholic. i'm now pantheist (spinoza's god)
    i was born heterosexual... i'm still heterosexual

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you're trying to tell me that you're born inherently Christian, then I'm going to point out that you're being ridiculous. Your faith has to do with how you're raised, not your biology, unlike your sexual orientation.

I used to be fairly devout. I was debating doing a religious degree, and nearly ended up minoring in it as it was. I've lapsed, since, and I'm pretty agnostic-atheist today. It was absolutely a belief, the whole time, and I never thought it was ever anything more. In fact, the idea that it could be inherent is an implicit attack on the very concept of faith, to begin with. The value to faith comes because it's a choice.
    Protected class

In United States federal anti-discrimination law, a protected class is a characteristic of a person which cannot be targeted for discrimination.[1] The following characteristics are considered "Protected Classes" by Federal law:
    Race – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Color – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Religion – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    National origin – Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Age (40 and over) – Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
    Sex – Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Pregnancy – Pregnancy Discrimination Act
    Citizenship – Immigration Reform and Control Act
    Familial status – Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII: Housing cannot discriminate for having children, with an exception for senior housing
    Disability status – Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
    Veteran status – Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
    Genetic information – Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

don't see sexual orientation anywhere on the list do you?

We're still here.
    i know, but it's not the point. christianity (and religion in general) is losing power in the western world.

Protected class

In United States federal anti-discrimination law, a protected class is a characteristic of a person which cannot be targeted for discrimination.[1] The following characteristics are considered "Protected Classes" by Federal law:
    Familial status – Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII: Housing cannot discriminate for having children, with an exception for senior housing
    Disability status – Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
    Veteran status – Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act

and this doesn't even make sense
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2016-04-19 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Protected class

Irrelevant to his point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    1> I'm not sure why you think that's relevant to my point
    2> It is on the list of protected classes for many States, and most Western nations outside of the USA, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Legally, and even morally, the school officials are in the wrong here.

1. Leasing the park does not privatize the park. It is still public for anyone. Trying to block anyone is grounds enough for a suit IMO.

2. They allow their students to eat wherever they want during lunch hours.

3. What exactly is wrong with Christian gatherings outside class times? Are they preaching any form of hate? Are they acting like some cult? If not, let people be.
    I think it's moreso that its specifically a religious function. The school can't be seen to be promoting a particular religion so they don't want to be permitting the christian group from occupying the park during lunch time. The article said it's been going on for a while and nobody really cared when it was just a small group but now they're a huge group taking most of the area.

I don't know if it was in the original article or the one that was not from a site dedicated to criticizing schools I posted, but it looks like at least for now the outcome is that the religious group gets part of the park, other groups get other parts of the park. It sounds like the whole thing has been pretty tense though. I guess the police are going to hang out just in case there's friction.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    I am atheist, I have mentioned this before, and I am not saying this other than adding the context to my words, but sharing your religion with people who freely attend your gatherings isn't indoctrination, nor propaganda.

If that were the case, any information you hear from someone who is conveying their agenda on any matters, be it, political, spiritual, or social is indoctrination and propaganda.
    The difference is that they are trading goods to kids with the sole purpose of pushing their religious views on them. As with most religious organizations, they are masking their recruitment under the guise of altruism.

Like my original reply to this thread had been, "An amicable solution would be to feed whoever wants to be fed, then afterwards have religious discussions with those that want to stick around. There, problem solved. Free Speech saved, Freedom of Religion saved, Students given lunches, costs the school nothing, keeps kids from having to purchase a meal with their indoctrination, it is a win on all fronts."

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I meant I have to go soon. If you will read my follow up, you will understand me more, and feel the need to mindlessly insult me less.
    I didn't insult you at all. I said that using "I don't have time to read" as an excuse is pretty weak when you clearly have more than enough time to type out comments and responses. But if I hurt your little feelings...I'm still not sorry.

Protected class

You're absolutely right, let's remove religion from that list and put sexual orientation in. Considering it's an opinion you can change rather than something you're born with like the majority of that list. I'll be perfectly honest I really thought they would've amended that onto the list when they legalized homosexual marriage across the country.

I still wouldn't advocate religious discrimination, but for a different reason than thinking it should be some form of "protected class", just because we should do our best to hold to freedom of personal opinion as part of freedom of speech and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Schools blocking christians from serving meals is exactly NOT the intent of freedom of religion.

7+ Year Old Account
    An absurd premise. The school has no legal ground of dictating discourse in this public park unless they have direct control of it. If this was the official school playground on protected school grounds, this would be a different story.

@anyone claiming you don't want them preaching religion at children: you are missing the point. I don't particularly want that either, but the actual issue is where this occurs. You can't suddenly restrict people from preaching their cult because minors are the recipient. This would lead to restriction of free speech in virtually all public areas. The school needs to either assume control of the park, or cease harassment of the evangelists in this case.