Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

400 migrants feared dead after boat capsizes in Mediterranean

More than 400 migrants and refugees are feared to have drowned in the Mediterranean while trying to cross by boat from Egypt to Italy.

They are believed to be largely Somalis, with smaller numbers of Eritreans and Ethiopians.

The tragedy, if confirmed, comes exactly a year after the worst migrant disaster in the Mediterranean for decades.

Around 800 migrants and refugees, many of them locked into the hold, died when the 70ft-long boat they were crammed into capsized at sea.

Only those on the upper level had any chance of surviving when the vessel capsized, apparently after migrants rushed to one side of the ship when they saw a passing Portuguese merchant ship that they hoped was coming to rescue them

The migrants involved in Monday's tragedy were on board four boats, according to BBC Arabic, which broke the story.

One or more of the boats appears to have capsized at sea.

The Somali embassy in Cairo is trying to verify the reports, which have not yet been verified.

The vast majority of refugees and migrants who reach Italy by sea depart in old fishing boats and rubber dinghies from the coast of Libya, where chaos since the downfall of the Gadaffi regime has allowed people smuggling gangs to flourish.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...mediterranean/

Deleted
    Okay, so? People die all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post

What if it were these two?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    What if it were these two?
    I'd still say "So?".

Deleted
    oh no, not again!

tell me, did you feel the same when M/S Estonia sank and 800 people died?

The vast majority of refugees and migrants who reach Italy by sea depart in old fishing boats and rubber dinghies from the coast of Libya, where chaos since the downfall of the Gadaffi regime has allowed people smuggling gangs to flourish.
    Aka why Hillary Clinton should be disqualified from ever becoming president.

To be cynical but honest, this is what happens when you go into a boat that isn't seaworthy. They took a gamble and lost.

Aside from that, it is certainly a human tragedy, but they knew the risk and took it. IMO, it's far worse when people loose their life without having done anything to jeopardize themselves.

Will be a crazy summer with loads more.

Deleted
    Tragic. Tho I guess even that was a better fate than a slow painful death of starvation and disease and whatever other miseries there are to be found in Somalia etc etc.

Deleted
    I'm certainly not sorry. Too bad they're polluting the ocean, though, could've killed themselves and then some back home.

Infracted
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-04-18 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishtat View Post
    Tragic. Tho I guess even that was a better fate than a slow painful death of starvation and disease and whatever other miseries there are to be found in Somalia etc etc.
    Yes, but are people not ought to try and improve the situation rather than running for European welfare? Europe's policies has served as a magnet for the most independent people from this part of the world, which are just the ones needed at home.
    This researcher explains it better than I ever could. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE
    That Europe could somehow save the world by working as a sponge to soak the richest and most fortunate 0.1 % of third-worlders is so mind-numbingly stupid that our leaders deserve a big bitch-slap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trengor View Post
    tell me, did you feel the same when M/S Estonia sank and 800 people died?
    No, because those people did not set out on a dangerous journey. Estonia wasn't the result of stupid decisions on part of the passengers. Going by shitty fishing boats over the ocean there is fucking retarded. If people intentionally set out to do dangerous things I'll say "So?" if they die as a result of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    Yes, but are people not ought to try and improve the situation rather than running for European welfare? Europe's policies has served as a magnet for the most independent people from this part of the world, which are just the ones needed at home.
    This researcher explains it better than I ever could. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE
    Somalia has been a shithole for so long..there's really not anything left for them to fight for. They can't improve anything, piracy there is rampant, I'd hightail it outta there too if I was from there, I'd think most people would.

Deleted
    Don't cut yourself on that edge.

Sure, it's hard to feel empathy for people you haven't even seen, let alone ever heard about, but it's still tragic.

Deleted
    Somalia has been a shithole for so long..there's really not anything left for them to fight for. They can't improve anything, piracy there is rampant, I'd hightail it outta there too if I was from there, I'd think most people would.
    If it's such a shithole, why are somalians going back there on vacation after they get their citizenship here?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Don't cut yourself on that edge.

Sure, it's hard to feel empathy for people you haven't even seen, let alone ever heard about, but it's still tragic.
    I don't feel empathy for people who do fucking stupid things and get themselves killed.

Yes, well. So is Congo, Etiophia, Yemen, Afghanistan, Burma, North Korea, Eritreia, Malawi and probably several other countries. We can't soak them, not remotely and shouldn't try to (IMO).

Deleted
    If it's such a shithole, why are somalians going back there on vacation after they get their citizenship here?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't feel empathy for people who do fucking stupid things and get themselves killed.
    How am I supposed to know? Family? Maybe the scenery is nice? Take your pick.

The sleep depraved, caffeinated, grump version of myself is currently doing this:

To be serious though, unless Syrians or maybe Iraqies, AKA actually in a warzone, well too bad.

P.S. To the inevitable mod <snip>, it's grump cat making his yes face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    Yes, well. So is Congo, Etiophia, Yemen, Afghanistan, Burma, North Korea, Eritreia, Malawi and probably several other countries. We can't soak them, not remotely and shouldn't try to (IMO).
    Lots of places need fixing, it shouldn't be a surprise that people don't wanna live in them when it's apparently help isn't going to come from the outside, or in.

Deleted
    How am I supposed to know? Family? Maybe the scenery is nice? Take your pick.
    You don't go back to a country you fled from as a refugee, when we're still receiving refugees from there. Either those refugees are fleeing from violence or people are claiming it to be worse than it actually is.