Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    "But I shouldn't need a license to run a business! YOU'RE INFRINGING ON MY FFFFFRRRRREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMSSSSS!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Requiring business licenses are also an unnecessary restriction of freedom. Using one to justify the other is pointless. The exact same justification was used to ban things like gay marriage. The exiestence of a law is not a justification for it. Otherwise, people should have simply obeyed when gay marriage was made illegal.
    See? I called it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    How do you define success and failure? If profits are down 20% do you think it's appropriate for executives to give themselves pay raises? Sure, bonus structures can encourage good performance, but the problem with US business culture is that executives are giving themselves pay raises when their numbers are poor.

Business culture in the US is shit poor, it's driven by mostly average IQ people who buy into a herd mentality and short-term profits over long-term growth and turn mediocre CEOs into celebrities despite questionable practices.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...er-sale-buyout
    So how exactly does the logic then work, that if a company is failing that the CEO gets a pay reduction, not to keep the company afloat, but to just pay their lower employees more? The minimum wage discussion has nothing to do with whether or not a company succeeds or fails, nor does it care if a company succeeds or fails. It's about "These people deserve more money!" and absolutely nothing else.

If the company fails, therefore the CEO takes the paycut to compensate, then the CEO should take a pay raise if the company succeeds. The minimum wage employees getting pay raises while the company is failing makes zero sense logically, and according to your own "Japanese business culture whatever" they wouldn't be the ones getting the first and foremost pay increase if the company succeeds either.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    No, if their wages were 30% of their operating expenses and they doubled, their overall costs wouldn't go up 30%. It would go up something like 15% or something like that as you are only doubling that 30% chunk.

Even if you take into account the raising of all wages outside the building who provided their food, it would still work out to no more than a 20% increase I believe.

Edit: Anyone correct if I am wrong, concentration is split at the moment and not even doing napkin math.
    If you have a company spending $30 on employee salaries out of a $100 total for the restaurant, then increase the salaries to $60, you're now paying $130 for the whole restaurant, an increase of 30%.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you define success and failure? If profits are down 20% do you think it's appropriate for executives to give themselves pay raises? Sure, bonus structures can encourage good performance, but the problem with US business culture is that executives are giving themselves pay raises when their numbers are poor.

Business culture in the US is shit poor, it's driven by mostly average IQ people who buy into a herd mentality and short-term profits over long-term growth and turn mediocre CEOs into celebrities despite questionable practices.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...er-sale-buyout
    My CEO is giving himself a 15% pay cut this year, and no bonus.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    If the company fails, therefore the CEO takes the paycut to compensate
    But that does not happen in the US. That is my point. Executives are getting pay raises despite company performance. I'm not sure why you're so fixated on "but CEOs should get pay raises when things go well!" when that ALREADY happens, while salaries for average Americans aren't even keeping up with inflation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    My CEO is giving himself a 15% pay cut this year, and no bonus.
    If your company has been underperforming, that's good leadership. Sadly not the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a company spending $30 on employee salaries out of a $100 total for the restaurant, then increase the salaries to $60, you're now paying $130 for the whole restaurant, an increase of 30%.
    If your average salary costs are $20k out of $100k operations costs, then increasing salaries from $20k to $40k will increase your operations costs to $120k, or a 20 percent increase. Assuming the company passes along 100% of their operations cost increases to the consumer and do not use other measures to mitigate operations costs or use other methods to not pass along price increases.

Just an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your company has been underperforming, that's good leadership. Sadly not the norm.
    Our whole industry is underperforming. We've already laid off 57% of our personnel, and there's pay cuts / time reductions across the board. We're all going to 72 hours of work per two weeks, every other friday off, with salary reductions as follows:

CEO: 15%
    Executives: 12%
    > $100k/year: 10%
    > $75k/year: 6%
    < $75k/year: 4%
    Hourly: No cut, but fewer hours

It hits people hardest who don't need the money as much while hitting those with the lowest salaries the least. I respect the way my company did it. I'm still planning to apply for jobs in Portland. Time to get out of this industry.

- - - Updated - - -

If your average salary costs are $20k out of $100k operations costs, then increasing salaries from $20k to $40k will increase your operations costs to $120k, or a 20 percent increase. Assuming the company passes along 100% of their operations cost increases to the consumer and do not use other measures to mitigate operations costs or use other methods to not pass along price increases.

Just an example.
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. The guy I was quoting was saying that doubling a 30% salary component would only result in 15% increase in overall costs, which didn't make sense.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    in an era of "no child left behind" I feel that you may have our roles reversed.

All this means is kids don't repeat the same grade. They pass to the next grade even if they fail. I failed every single grade up to 10th. At which point I just went and got my G.E.D. instead.

"No child left behind" is a joke and needs to be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by SinAscendant View Post
    You clearly haven't bought food for yourself lately. Or ever.

[snip] Me and my two roommates, living off $2/pound bogo chicken and hamburger from walmart, spend somewhere between $150-$200 a week.
    I feed a family of 3 for around $500 a month and that is including the occasional ribeye steaks.

Not sure what to tell you.

Our water bill is about $40 a month, power bill is about $100. We haven't had cable TV in about 4 years, we get everything from the internet. Out 20mbps services last I check runs about $35 a month with a modem rental.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-04-19 at 08:59 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I feed a family of 3 for around $500 a month and that is including the occasional ribeye steaks.

Our water bill is about $40 a month, powder bill is about $100.
    Them essential powders.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account

Our water bill is about $40 a month, powder bill is about $100.
    Wow, I live in a 740 sq ft apartment, and my power bill is $150/month. Of course I live in Texas and never turn my A/C off.

Wow, I live in a 740 sq ft apartment, and my power bill is $150/month. Of course I live in Texas and never turn my A/C off.
    Yea here in Augusta GA, during the transitional seasons you sometimes won't even turn on the A/C or Heat for weeks as the temps hit just right.

My lowest bill for the year is usually about $60, the highest is $140 in the very peak of summer, so I just kind of averaged in the middle.

I mean it helps during the summer we keep the thermo on 78 during the day. People who put that stuff on like 68 or 70 in the summer and then wonder why their power bill is huge, gee I wonder lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    Them essential powders.
    Nah, pretty normal pantry over here.

mac n' cheese, hot dogs, hamburgers, deli meat, salad stuff, bagel bites in the freezer, etc etc

My daughter is 9 so the bulk of the cost are probably her lunch food and snacks.

Edit: We do buy chicken and ground beef in bulk, so that helps.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-04-19 at 09:03 PM.

Water/gas/electric for a 2300 sq foot home with central air in Portland was around $350 a month, although our water bill came quarterly. I downsized into an apartment near the end of last year and my utilities are now included in rent, minus internet. Which is nice.

Yea there is a reason we bought a $124,000 home and not the $300,000 home the bank was more than willing to sell us.

Some people just don't understand the upkeep cost and utility cost when you double or triple your square footage.

We basically opted for the normal size house with upgrades like hardwood flooring, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    I won't argue economics, we can go round for hours about it.

Consider this: In almost every major metropolitan area(where the jobs are) Rent in a shitty apartment in the ghetto or boonies costs no less than 500$/mo. That's in almost every major city in the U.S. Getting out of the ghetto immediately pushes you up to 800-1000 a month range, and it's usually not much better.

Believe it or not most people don't have the luxury or privilege of parents supporting them. They get kicked out or parents go to jail or w/e, a young person starts out life paying more than 2/3 of their pay to be independent.

If you don't want to raise pay, then lower rent.
    this is why you avoid major cities, my mortgage is less than $500.00 a month.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. The guy I was quoting was saying that doubling a 30% salary component would only result in 15% increase in overall costs, which didn't make sense.
    You are correct, mine was off. Like I said, I wasn't really thinking much of it. I am browsing around on here while helping a child with homework when he calls me. So even typing a single response can be in parts and it isn't a problem where I actively need to be there.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Water/gas/electric for a 2300 sq foot home with central air in Portland was around $350 a month, although our water bill came quarterly. I downsized into an apartment near the end of last year and my utilities are now included in rent, minus internet. Which is nice.
    I think if I lived in a house that large in Houston, I would have a window A/C unit or a split unit in various bedrooms, so that I could keep just the room I was spending time in cool without having to pay to cool the entire house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    You are correct, mine was off. Like I said, I wasn't really thinking much of it. I am browsing around on here while helping a child with homework when he calls me. So even typing a single response can be in parts and it isn't a problem where I actively need to be there.
    No worries. I fuck up my math here all the time.

I think if I lived in a house that large in Houston, I would have a window A/C unit or a split unit in various bedrooms, so that I could keep just the room I was spending time in cool without having to pay to cool the entire house.

- - - Updated - - -

No worries. I fuck up my math here all the time.
    Very common for two story houses in my neighborhood at least. One AC for upstairs and one for downstairs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea here in Augusta GA, during the transitional seasons you sometimes won't even turn on the A/C or Heat for weeks as the temps hit just right.

My lowest bill for the year is usually about $60, the highest is $140 in the very peak of summer, so I just kind of averaged in the middle.

I mean it helps during the summer we keep the thermo on 78 during the day. People who put that stuff on like 68 or 70 in the summer and then wonder why their power bill is huge, gee I wonder lol
    Yeah, I keep my thermostat set to 67F, summer or winter. 78F is so damn hot, I'd be sitting in a puddle of my own sweat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    you should have manned up before you got broke and no place to live. sorry i wasnt there to hold your hand thru all your mistakes.
    Sometimes I feel that people who are this devoid of empathy would be happy to vote "yes" to a proposal to round up the poorest 5% of the population every year and make them disappear.

Who cares what happened to them, or why they got to where they got...clearly it is entirely their fault and they should be made to suffer right?

My god I wish my house was like that, during the spring and fall, I might hit $60. During the summer and winter, I might hit $300 if I try to keep it comfortable. If I don't mind it being bad, I might keep it below $200. So my house during the summer is typically between 80f and 85f while in the winter it hovers between 50f and 70f.

Living in an old trailer that was made before trailers had building codes though and it shows.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Yea, keep in mind it was newly constructed about 5-6 years ago, so the insulation and everything is up to par for the time being.