New vehicle financing

So I'm currently shopping for a new jeep to replace the one I have. It's been a while since I've bought a new vehicle and I'm considering financing options. I've been reading lately that there are now banks doing 10 year loans for new vehicles. I can certainly see the pros and cons for this and I'm curious if you guys know anyone that's done this?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

There is no pro to 10 year financing and certainly not on something as quirky as a jeep.

You should buy a car based on the price you pay, not how small you can get your monthly payment.

Car buying 101.

Even a $25,000 car @ a super low rate of 3% over 10 years comes out to really being $29,000.

Now if your credit can't even get you that low of a rate the problem just gets worse.

Edit: If you really want to see how your interest rate plus loan term is fucking you over use:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...lculator.aspx?
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-04-30 at 08:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    10 years is a long time to be paying off a car and that's not including having to carry full coverage insurance on it while it's being financed.

If you can't pay for a car in 6 years....Maybe you're looking at buying the wrong type of car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    If you can't pay for a car in 6 years....Maybe you're looking at buying the wrong type of car.
    I'd say 3 years or less. If you can't pay it off in 3 years or less, you're financing way out of your income range.

OP: 10 years is way too long. If you're already having to choose 10 years, you're not getting a low rate. I'd bet you're getting 8 - 15% on that 10 year loan, which could mean paying nearly double by the time you're done.

10 years is a bad idea.

Do you have access to a credit union?

Also, many insurance companies also offer financing, if you've been with yours for a bit, they may offer low rates, give your agent a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'd say 3 years or less. If you can't pay it off in 3 years or less, you're financing way out of your income range.

OP: 10 years is way too long. If you're already having to choose 10 years, you're not getting a low rate. I'd bet you're getting 8 - 15% on that 10 year loan, which could mean paying nearly double by the time you're done.
    Was about to post this...

6 years? No way... 3 years at most.

Anything more than 5 is just insanity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kind of depends. If you don't buy new and you will be selling the car in a year or two it's not so bad (especially with certain models that hold the price). If you are looking to buy a new car however, and planning to keep it, it's like throwing money away. Rather just buy something cheaper.