Poll: British Army vs 100 U.S. Marines

Thread: Who would win?

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Most people in this thread are simply comparing numbers in a hypothetical battle without considering other factors. For example, imagine the fear and dismay of the opposing forces when they realize they are severely outmatched on technology. Remember the Dodge commercial where Washington drives into battle with his Challenger? I imagine it would be something like that. I submit the hypothesis that the British would fall apart out of fear and confusion far before any concerns of depleting ammunition by the American forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    The moment your soldiers get hit, you can see from which direction it is from. My god, do I have to explain something this simple?
    You really think so? If a guy's head blows up next to you can you really tell which direction the shot came from? Do the Reds have crime scene ballistic teams with them as well. Do the Marines only have one sniper? Of course not, they have several in multiple positions. Shots come from multiple places.

If a Red does see a Marine shoot, it's because the Marine WANTS him to see. Reds march in formation into several fire team's kill zone, dead Reds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The Americans apologise
    Best joke in thread.
    Oh, hi.

It's a hypothetical pitting 100 marines vs. 100k British soldiers, and people are getting picky about the ammo count?

If you want to get that "realistic," then ammo doesn't matter - the Brits would retreat / surrender long before the marines ran out of ammo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter how well trained and equipped modern marines are. They'd simply be overrun fighting that many enemies. It probably wouldn't take long either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Most people in this thread are simply comparing numbers in a hypothetical battle without considering other factors. For example, imagine the fear and dismay of the opposing forces when they realize they are severely outmatched on technology. Remember the Dodge commercial where Washington drives into battle with his Challenger? I imagine it would be something like that. I submit the hypothesis that the British would fall apart out of fear and confusion far before any concerns of depleting ammunition by the American forces.
    Absolutely correct. Marines would win the psychological battle first.

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    You really think so? If a guy's head blows up next to you can you really tell which direction the shot came from? Do the Reds have crime scene ballistic teams with them as well. Do the Marines only have one sniper? Of course not, they have several in multiple positions. Shots come from multiple places.

If a Red does see a Marine shoot, it's because the Marine WANTS him to see. Reds march in formation into several fire team's kill zone, dead Reds.
    Use common sense. When you have say, 500 men in formation, you can easily tell where they are being hit. Are your guys dying at the front, back, sides, or where? You are assuming the entire army is mentally handicapped. Yes, they moment they get shot at, they will know the direction it's coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    Doesn't matter how well trained and equipped modern marines are. They'd simply be overrun fighting that many enemies. It probably wouldn't take long either.
    You assume the Marines would fight like the Reds.

They wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Dixon View Post
    They can call in a support package once a day.
    Incidentally, the 30 pounds of ammo is based on 5.56 shells at 11.8 grams apiece and one shot = one kill. But if you're giving the marines a support package, I'm giving "the entire British Army" artillery, such as the "Royal" 5.4inch mortar, which could throw a 16-pound shell 1,000 yards. It's 100% mobile and has an effective kill radius of about 20 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Use common sense. When you have say, 500 men in formation, you can easily tell where they are being hit. Are your guys dying at the front, back, sides, or where? You are assuming the entire army is mentally handicapped. Yes, they moment they get shot at, they will know the direction it's coming from.
    Not really. I won't waste anymore time trying to explain it, you seem set in your assumption. That's fine and actually irrelevant because like I said earlier, I doubt the Marines would attack them in the day. They'd wait until night and murder them in their tents. Marines see just fine in the dark, Reds can't.

Deleted
    Not really. I won't waste anymore time trying to explain it, you seem set in your assumption. That's fine and actually irrelevant because like I said earlier, I doubt the Marines would attack them in the day. They'd wait until night and murder them in their tents. Marines see just fine in the dark, Reds can't.
    How long does nightvision last until the batteries run out?

And up close and personal is the last place the marines want to be.

Deleted
    1000+ to 1 ratio requires some serious power multipliers on the marines side. they would at least need a dozen heavy machine guns and a defensive position to stand any chance at all. assault rifles simply have to reload to often to hold off a serious charge and grenades are way to short range.

Even if the marines are allowed to get the drop on them, they could pick off a bunch with guerilla/sneak tactics, but with proper scouting the british can find out their general direction and then just march in on them in a miles wide column. 100k people in one place is just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Incidentally, the 30 pounds of ammo is based on 5.56 shells at 11.8 grams apiece and one shot = one kill. But if you're giving the marines a support package, I'm giving "the entire British Army" artillery, such as the "Royal" 5.4inch mortar, which could throw a 16-pound shell 1,000 yards. It's 100% mobile and has an effective kill radius of about 20 yards.
    Well, if it's period correct, then they have them. The picture says entire British army, implying everything they had at their disposal.

I'm simply being realistic here, instead of "woohoo, my fan hero squad beats WWII single handed, no problem!"
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-04-19 at 04:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Kinda meaningless against the M252, as is everything the British would have to offer from that era.. which is funny cause its of British origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    1000+ to 1 ratio requires some serious power multipliers on the marines side. they would at least need a dozen heavy machine guns and a defensive position to stand any chance at all. assault rifles have to reload to often to hold off a serious charge.

Even if the marines are allowed to get the drop on them, they could pick off a bunch with guerilla/sneak tactics, but with proper scouting the british can find out their general direction and then just march in on them in a miles wide column. 100k people in one place is just insane.
    They would never all be in one place. Insane is correct, it never happened.

Some of you keep assuming we're talking about a daylight head to head operation of all the Marines on one side and all the Reds on the other. That would be what the British would expect but the Marines would have other ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    Here is one thing that would change everything: just one war helicopter. Seeing something incomprehensible in the sky slaying rows of soldiers would probably cause all the British to flee. Especially since they have no means of hitting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    How long does nightvision last until the batteries run out?

And up close and personal is the last place the marines want to be.
    Marines would have no problem sweeping through a camp of sleeping British soldiers in tents. They'd be in and out before the Reds knew what happened.

Night vision wouldn't have to last long, a few nights of that and most British would desert. AN/PVS-14 night vision lasts about two days on a single AA battery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Here is one thing that would change everything: just one war helicopter. Seeing something incomprehensible in the sky slaying rows of soldiers would probably cause all the British to flee. Especially since they have no means of hitting it.
    The marine mortars would be more than enough to inflict despair.. Just magically blowing up would probably be more unnerving.

Deleted
    Marines would have no problem sweeping through a camp of sleeping British soldiers in tents. They'd be in and out before the Reds knew what happened.

Night vision wouldn't have to last long, a few nights of that and most British would desert. AN/PVS-14 night vision lasts about two days on a single AA battery.
    Nonsense, If they are shooting in this sweep, they get bayoneted and overwhelemed. If they are killing a few and dissapearing with knives, they'll inflict mininimal casualties for maximum risk, if they get rumbled they are fucked.

Also where do they hide out in the daytime? They are danger close to the British, if they get found its over.

Deleted
    They would never all be in one place. Insane is correct, it never happened.

Some of you keep assuming we're talking about a daylight head to head operation of all the Marines on one side and all the Reds on the other. That would be what the British would expect but the Marines would have other ideas.
    well the "vs" and the "entire" kinda imply its a head to head scenario.

otherwise we'd be talking about a special forces infiltrating occupied territory or advance force kinda scenario, which is basically what happened in iraq/aghanistan so thats no fun to talk about.