Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Remove animation cancelling

delete this
    Last edited by Jekuto; 2016-04-19 at 12:28 AM.

Considering MMO / Curse don't make games, this appears to be in the wrong forum and futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekuto View Post
    Just as the title says, animation cancelling is bullshit and literally not fun.
    No. Games that don't have it feel awful, they're sluggish, slow and... Just no.

Deleted
    I've been out of the loop for the past week, what are people referring to when talking about animation canceling ?

Bloodsail Admiral Unkhrahuun the Atoned's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoda View Post
    I've been out of the loop for the past week, what are people referring to when talking about animation canceling ?
    When using Vengeful Retreat, you can use Jump/Glide to keep from vaulting too far out of melee range since VR takes you off the ground, therefore allowing the use of Jump/Glide. There's also a way to cheese the Fel Rush animation but i'll leave it to someone smarter than myself to explain how that nonsense is done.
    The Dead City... it... calls to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Unanilnomen View Post
    When using Vengeful Retreat, you can use Jump/Glide to keep from vaulting too far out of melee range since VR takes you off the ground, therefore allowing the use of Jump/Glide. There's also a way to cheese the Fel Rush animation but i'll leave it to someone smarter than myself to explain how that nonsense is done.
    Walk backward ("s" default), hit jump and fel rush at the same time. gonna put a vid up for the forums as soon as i restart my computer, because nvidia decided not to turn on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Walk backward ("s" default), hit jump and fel rush at the same time. gonna put a vid up for the forums as soon as i restart my computer, because nvidia decided not to turn on.
    This might be a controversial opinion but this sounds amazing. First time that controlling your movement abillitys actually have an impact on your DPS then. Also makes it easy to see the difference between a more experienced DH and someone that is new/bad. If its clunky now I'd rather have it that they polish that style of play.
    Instead of removing it and replace it with something every other class has.

This might be a controversial opinion but this sounds amazing. First time that controlling your movement abillitys actually have an impact on your DPS then. Also makes it easy to see the difference between a more experienced DH and someone that is new/bad. If its clunky now I'd rather have it that they polish that style of play.
    Instead of removing it and replace it with something every other class has.
    It is, in fact, awful. Particularly in the case of fel rush, as you can't macro any of it, which means you're hitting three buttons simultaneously and get fucked if anything else is going on and / or you mess up and rush into something unintentionally.

Deleted
    Well, I strongly disagree that it is awful, I've been playing with it for quite a while now and its very fluid and also very beneficial. However I do feel like it's an unintented way to play and will be looked at by blizz

Deleted
    It is, in fact, awful. Particularly in the case of fel rush, as you can't macro any of it, which means you're hitting three buttons simultaneously and get fucked if anything else is going on and / or you mess up and rush into something unintentionally.
    Still doesnt sound like something bad to me. Maybe I would actually have to play it myself to fully understand why you think its bad . But so far it just seems like something that is mechanically demanding and if you fuck it up , you'd get punish. Certainly raises the skill ceiling for the class right ?

Still doesnt sound like something bad to me. Maybe I would actually have to play it myself to fully understand why you think its bad . But so far it just seems like something that is mechanically demanding and if you fuck it up , you'd get punish. Certainly raises the skill ceiling for the class right ?
    It's very, very latency depending - one or two ms fluctuations and you're off to the racetracks. The VR isn't that bad, though it's a touch silly. The FR is just stupidly annoying and relies on things you have zero control over, because of hte nature f fel rush (i went all the way across dalaran because i hit a second-long spike once D; )
    Last edited by Vanyali; 2016-04-19 at 02:22 AM.

Also with fel rush latency has a huge effect on whether you can even do it or not. With my latency I can make it work a third, maybe half the time, and my latency to live isn't much better than the alpha. Vengeful retreat on the other is much less susecptible to lag and I can make it work 95% of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very, very latency depending - one or two ms fluctuations and you're off to the racetracks. The VR isn't that bad, though it's a touch silly. The FR is just stupidly annoying and relies on things you have zero control over, because of hte nature f fel rush (i went all the way across dalaran because i hit a second-long spike once D
    I think between the two, that Fel Rush is the one that is unintended. At least VR can be chalked up to it lifting you off the ground where Glide is perfectly usable and therefore not really breaking anything. Whether or not its intended is another story entirely though. Fel Rush cancelling certainly seems to be an exploit or breaking of the ability (since you guys are saying it's still dealing damage in it's intended area of effect).

Deleted
    It's very, very latency depending - one or two ms fluctuations and you're off to the racetracks. The VR isn't that bad, though it's a touch silly. The FR is just stupidly annoying and relies on things you have zero control over, because of hte nature f fel rush (i went all the way across dalaran because i hit a second-long spike once D; )
    But latency shouln't be an issue on life for most people. I can agree that FR might be stupid , specially on targets with very small hitboxes. But VR seems perfectly fine to me and I really hope that blizzard keeps it this way. Its a VERY new and interesting way to play a class. Which is a very rare addition to wow these days. And as long as it gets polished a bit I dont see a problem with it .

Are you sure that it is something that is acutally bad for the game / class and not something you personally dislike ?

But latency shouln't be an issue on life for most people. I can agree that FR might be stupid , specially on targets with very small hitboxes. But VR seems perfectly fine to me and I really hope that blizzard keeps it this way. Its a VERY new and interesting way to play a class. Which is a very rare addition to wow these days. And as long as it gets polished a bit I dont see a problem with it .

Are you sure that it is something that is acutally bad for the game / class and not something you personally dislike ?
    Animation canceling in general is dumb - it takes the risk / reward of moving for momentum and replaces it with "all reward". Regardless of whether or not it's easy to pull off.

And latency is a huge issue on live for a lot of people o.O

If they want the animation-cancel style, the risk-reward should be that the two abilities no longer move you. If they want it to just be straight-up equal, the other two need to be buffed up to fix it, as they're not even close right now. As-is, it's an exploitative behavior that removes the risk from the talent, making it better in all ways because there's zero risk to it and a huge benefit.

- - - Updated - - -

I think between the two, that Fel Rush is the one that is unintended. At least VR can be chalked up to it lifting you off the ground where Glide is perfectly usable and therefore not really breaking anything. Whether or not its intended is another story entirely though. Fel Rush cancelling certainly seems to be an exploit or breaking of the ability (since you guys are saying it's still dealing damage in it's intended area of effect).
    and yes, this too. it doing damage to the area you WOULD be going through but AREN'T is also a huge issue with it. For reference, this isn't tied to just animation cancelling; you can stand behind a wall / rock / tree / whatever in the world and do damage to things on the other side of it, and it's just as exploitative.

Change Momentum so that it gives the damage bonus from Fel Rush only (Maybe some reduced cooldown if it hits a target?) and remove the backflip aspect of VR if you have Prepared as a talent.

Just a thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekuto View Post
    Change Momentum so that it gives the damage bonus from Fel Rush only (Maybe some reduced cooldown if it hits a target?) and remove the backflip aspect of VR if you have Prepared as a talent.

Just a thought.
    I've had similar thoughts. Prepared becoming a new ability that replaces VR but still has some kind of movement (maybe some kind of backflip or something, IDK) so that it still makes sense to add to Momentum.

Deleted
    If they want the animation-cancel style, the risk-reward should be that the two abilities no longer move you. If they want it to just be straight-up equal, the other two need to be buffed up to fix it, as they're not even close right now. As-is, it's an exploitative behavior that removes the risk from the talent, making it better in all ways because there's zero risk to it and a huge benefit.
    Didnt you say that if you fuck it up it often overshoots you ? or in case of VR moves you out of melee range which would cause you to lose damage ... thats a risk right there isnt it ? Or am i misunderstanding ? I feel if the risk is beeing able to handle the mechanical aspekt... ESPECIALLY because it cant be makroed etc. is a kind of gameplay WoW really needs.

Didnt you say that if you fuck it up it often overshoots you ? or in case of VR moves you out of melee range which would cause you to lose damage ... thats a risk right there isnt it ? Or am i misunderstanding ? I feel if the risk is beeing able to handle the mechanical aspekt... ESPECIALLY because it cant be makroed etc. is a kind of gameplay WoW really needs.
    It's so easy to fuck it up, though. Therefore, missed attempts at animation cancelling can be extremely frustrating.

Also, "kind of gameplay WoW really needs" is completely subjective. :P

"overshoots" is annoying, but doesn't mean you'll lose damage as a result; you just might be on the other side of the boss when you want to stack on the other, but it functionally does nothing but be an irritating because you failed at the cancel. VR is impossible to *not* cancel once you get used to it, unless you hit a spike, because it's so easy.

The problem with the risk being the mechanical cancel is that you can't even out player's latency. That means that you give hardwired and better internet an extreme advantage that can never be caught up because it's 100% out of your control in-game.