Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Romania expelled from Eurovision Song Contest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36111208

Romania has been expelled from the Eurovision Song Contest after its national broadcaster failed to pay outstanding debts dating back to 2007.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) claimed the Romanian public service broadcaster Televiziunea Romana (TVR) owes 16 million Swiss francs.

The EBU described the action to exclude Romania from next month's contest in Sweden as "regrettable".

Romania has never won the contest, with its best result being third in 2010.

The EBU had called on the Romanian government to make satisfactory arrangements to repay the debt by Wednesday (20 April). The organisation regards the Romanian State as legally obliged to underwrite TVR's debt

Why does everyone treat Romania like a nation of criminals?!?

10+ Year Old Account
    That' rude and not very inclusive of Sweden. You're punishing an entire people for what 1 TV station owes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand, debt to who? EBU? Is EBU some kind of mafia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does anybody care about the Eurovision Song Festival? It's just some talent show, but this time on a grander scale.
    And admit it, if you watch it it's either for the hot performers or the complete rediculousness of some performances.

Pretty shitty move.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Why does everyone treat Romania like a nation of criminals?!?
    So Romania shouldn't have to pay what it owes? and holding them to account for their debt is somehow treating them like 'a national of criminals'?

Quote Originally Posted by zubaja View Post
    Why does anybody care about the Eurovision Song Festival? It's just some talent show, but this time on a grander scale.
    And admit it, if you watch it it's either for the hot performers or the complete rediculousness of some performances.
    The better question is, "What the hell is the eurovision song festival? Also, what's eurovision?"

It's too bad it's not bulgaria, I really wanted to see crybran start crying again.

Deleted
    Nearly 200 million people watch it.

EBU did the people of Romania a good service.

I often wish we the UK, would also find some sort of reason to just not be involved in the massacre that is Eurovision lol.

Ah but then I wouldn't have my guilty pleasure of watching it and cringing but also silently hoping someone other than Ireland feels sorry for us and gives us some points for our almost always shitty songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    I don't understand, debt to who? EBU? Is EBU some kind of mafia?
    No, the EBU is some kind of company that offers services and (usually) gets paid for them.

Except it has nothing to do with talent whatsoever

10+ Year Old Account
    People still care about that shit show?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no! That country that literally never won isn't allowed to participate! The tragedy! The tragedy!

Who cares about euro vision? The songs are crap anyway.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

Wow. Not that I'm interested in the eurovision... but this is a dick move.

I'm just waiting for Cybran to come in and tell us how this is discrimination against Eastern Europeans by the Fascist EUSSR. Aaaaaaaaany moment now....

Deleted
    Who the hell watches Eurovision anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    No, this is a dick move. Well, moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    Why?

The Romanian national TV channel made money from transmission fees (or gained viewership which means revenue) but failed to pay the organizer its share.