Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why Do Warriors Still Have Slam?

With all the pruning going around it baffles me that this ability still exist. Blizzard get's rid of a core Arm Warrior staple like Overpower (which will come back as a talent in Legion) everyone begged to have it back during WoDs beta but to no avail. It was just that ability that said screw you to Rogues and always crit, consistent like that.

Now I remember first getting Slam during Vanilla WoW and I thought it was a joke. I have to stand still and cast it? Wha? So I thought it would at least hit super hard....it didn't. I'll admit during WoTLK it was kind of interesting weaving them into your rotation while timing your white hits, but it was never an ability any of us liked. Since WoTLK the damn spell goes through some dramatic change each xpac, as if Blizz is trying to make it work.

Why don't you prune that crap and just let us keep freakin Overpower!!! The only frustrating thing about the pruning is it's as if the people working on the class really do not play that class at all.

Because abilities, their use and their purpose change over the course of multiple expansions.

And you do have Overpower, it's a talent.

Deleted
    Because if it didn't exist, the remaining abilities would have to hit like fucking trucks so the overall dmg of warriors would be in line. All classes need some kind of filler ability nowadays, so that the burst doesn´t get out of hand.

I actually always liked the concept of Slam, but thought that:

A) It should be castable while moving - still having a cast time, but you could move while it was casting and as long as you were still in range at end it would hit.
    B) It should do a massive amount of damage - or function like some of the melee attacks in SWTOR where it is 3-4 hits over the course of the cast/channel time.

One or both of those would've made it interesting, but obviously we've moved away from Slam having any sort of cast timer. Would've preferred something like that, something unique to warriors and different from other melee. But it was not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Murlocbait View Post
    I actually always liked the concept of Slam, but thought that:

A) It should be castable while moving - still having a cast time, but you could move while it was casting and as long as you were still in range at end it would hit.
    It used to, was still aids due to interrupting the swing timer.

B) It should do a massive amount of damage - or function like some of the melee attacks in SWTOR where it is 3-4 hits over the course of the cast/channel time.
    So... Rampage?

It used to, was still aids due to interrupting the swing timer.
    Unless you mean pausing the swing timer (which is a relatively minor issue), that stopped being true after BC, long before cast while moving was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondwind View Post
    Unless you mean pausing the swing timer (which is a relatively minor issue), that stopped being true after BC, long before cast while moving was a thing.
    Yes, pausing. You can call it relatively minor, but I found it quite horrible to play with.

Whether or not you did aside, I don't think we need to give an ability even a potentially annoying gimmick just to make it different.

Deleted
    Ryan is banned at the moment, but he'll have an answer for you shortly; in the mean time I'll try to provide an accurate response

Whirlwind is a good filler, Slam is bad
    Everyone on these forums is a retard
    -snip-
    Whirlwind
    Slam is bad
    Reporting me only proves I'm right
    Warlords was the best expansion
    Something about Whirlwind again
    -snip-

-Infracted-

A legit answer though, is because we don't have anything else that is for Single Target to press in down time, unfortunately the CS reset has been attached to Slam making it a mandatory button but in all honesty... It's not THAT bad.
    Last edited by mmocae83d35844; 2016-04-21 at 06:06 PM.

I don't mind Slam, I think it's a bit too important in Legion though and the talent directly supporting that (Trauma) doesn't help. But Slam itself is fine for me, Legion Arms is IMO better than WOD Arms without a doubt, but the earlier Alpha Arms, the MOP 5.4 Arms or the Dragon Soul 4.3 Arms were more enjoyable. Many people consider 4.3 Arms to be the pinnacle of the spec and that was when Slam had a cast time.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    So... Rampage?
    Yeah, basically. Though that mechanic makes more sense to me for Arms than Fury, but that's all a matter of opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought they could just rename collossus smash to slam and let it have collosus smash debuff..

Because without it warriors can't take part in slam poetry?

Because its a filler move provided by Blizzard to smooth out our dps and go against the grain of the "slow, but hard hitting" motif?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyHammerStrike View Post
    and go against the grain of the "slow, but hard hitting" motif?
    The motif that never worked in the first place and was scrapped during the same beta in which it was announced? Mhmm.

"Slow" dps has never worked in WoW. The game simply isn't designed around it, and it introduces way too many balancing concerns, not to mention throwing off the tempo that is relevant to every other class in the game.

Sometimes different is good, but not when it goes against the core mechanics of the game, then it's simply problematic.

The motif that never worked in the first place and was scrapped during the same beta in which it was announced? Mhmm.

"Slow" dps has never worked in WoW. The game simply isn't designed around it, and it introduces way too many balancing concerns, not to mention throwing off the tempo that is relevant to every other class in the game.

Sometimes different is good, but not when it goes against the core mechanics of the game, then it's simply problematic.
    A: Never heard them scrapping it.

B: I don't actually care just something I thought was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyHammerStrike View Post
    A: Never heard them scrapping it.
    You didn't notice that Arms APM jumped from about 30 to 50 between WoD Beta and release?

You didn't notice that Arms APM jumped from about 30 to 50 between WoD Beta and release?
    I don't assume reality and their official stance are reflective, at least not since Wrath of the Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I don't mind Slam, I think it's a bit too important in Legion though and the talent directly supporting that (Trauma) doesn't help. But Slam itself is fine for me, Legion Arms is IMO better than WOD Arms without a doubt, but the earlier Alpha Arms, the MOP 5.4 Arms or the Dragon Soul 4.3 Arms were more enjoyable. Many people consider 4.3 Arms to be the pinnacle of the spec and that was when Slam had a cast time.
    Only problem is the Slam implementation made me feel like WOD WW

Quote Originally Posted by nativity View Post
    Only problem is the Slam implementation made me feel like WOD WW
    It's absolutely the same (different mechanics, but same result). The problem is that too many people complained about Arms feeling like a "ballerina" because of all the WW spinning. I saw some folks try to push people away from this and refocus on the issue of the one-button spam spec, but it didn't work. Blizz being Blizz, they focused on the wrong part of the feedback and just swapped out WW for Slam so we stop spinning all the time, but it still has the same shitty functionality.

My issue with WW in WoD is that it has no interaction with the spec, it's just a button we press that deals close to no damage, but we have nothing better available. Slam (in Legion) on the other hand deals a decent amount of damage on its own, and on top of that it procs both CS and MS resets, making it a vital part of our rotation. Sure, we currently press slam way to much on the Alpha, but that can easily be fixed by blizz by simply tuning MS in such a way that you actually want to press it outside of CS, or by giving slam a higher chance to reset CS/MS.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Filling with Whirlwind is the complete opposite of what Arms should do. Whirlwind is a reckless attack where you just lash out all nearyby enemies. Slam is a trained, methodical attack directed specifically towards your target. In fact, I don't like the concept of whirlwind for Arms at all. Their AoE should just be Cleave, and deal its damage accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.