Poll: Regarding the topic.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Science is a peer review discipline so a reasonable wing of the field supporting a theory is sufficient to be teaching about that theory in class.
    So, enough like minded backers. Not talking about science only. Talking about ALL courses. In my previous post I listed history. That's not a science and is somewhat subjective...

You're in favor of neo-nazis getting a course about altered history as long as a college has enough backers that support that theory? You really don't see the problem with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Well, this is embarassing for you.
    No its not.
    In Jamaica, Queens, for example, where the majority is black and the median household income was $45,000 in 2005, 46 percent of the mortgages were issued by lenders who specialize in subprime loans, the second highest rate in the city. In Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, which had a median income of $50,000 and is mostly white, the rate was among the lowest in the city, with 3.6 percent of home loans coming from subprime lenders.

The analysis provides only a limited picture of subprime borrowing in New York City. The data does not include details on borrowers’ assets, down payments or debt loads, all key factors in mortgage lending. And comparing neighborhoods is inexact; the typical borrower in one may differ from a typical borrower in another.

Jay Brinkmann, an economist with the Mortgage Bankers Association, said there was not enough information in the Furman Center analysis and other studies on the issue to draw conclusions about whether subprime lenders were discriminating against minority home buyers. One of the crucial missing pieces is the credit histories of individual borrowers, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post

They are POORsounding.
    I'm just going to respond to this one, because it so clearly sums up your whole problem. If your response is to say that black names sound poor, you are DEMONSTRATING the problem, not REFUTING it. If black names sound poor to you, you ARE a racist. That's what racism IS. That's the whoooooole fucking point. If you can't understand this, you are too far gone to have any kind of discussion with. Serious, you might as well have said "People don't discriminate against blacks because they are racist, they discriminate because blacks are inferior." It's so fundamentally deluded and disconnected from reality, and racist, that I can't help you.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    But then how are humanities students going to feel important like they are actually contributing something to humanity?
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    So, enough like minded backers. Not talking about science only. Talking about ALL courses. In my previous post I listed history. That's not a science and is somewhat subjective...

You're in favor of neo-nazis getting a course about altered history as long as a college has enough backers that support that theory? You really don't see the problem with this?
    Do you not understand the difference between "The field has a substantial wing" and "Some people at the college want to do it." I mean does that really have to be spelled out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    They are POORsounding.
    That's not a great retort, but I'd like to see a study comparing foreign white names compared to domestic white names (say John Smith vs. Bjarg Vjornharssen). This would probably bring out whether it's about race or just preferring something that sounds American.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    But then how are humanities students going to feel important like they are actually contributing something to humanity?
    This country was literally founded by humanities scholars.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Oh, ok, so I guess historical facts aren't facts and we can start denying things that happened?
    HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

Of Roman history, great Niebuhr's shown
    'Tis nine-tenths lying. Faith, I wish 'twere known,
    Ere we accept great Niebuhr as a guide,
    Wherein he blundered and how much he lied.
    —Salder Bupp
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

You have a misunderstanding about what institutional racism is. It does not require an individual to dislike people of a certain race or intentionally discriminate against them. It simply requires the system to be skewed towards certain groups.
    You should probably be scientific about it, and not just propose some vague, ethereal force that guides people to racism. I mean for heaven's sake, a population skew does not necessarily indicate institutional racism. My original point still stands unchecked.
    Except that's not what the study showed. It showed the problem exists at higher education levels.
    I'm basing my opinion on this other study: http://fortune.com/2014/11/04/hiring-racial-bias/ which contradicts your point.

Do you not understand the difference between "The field has a substantial wing" and "Some people at the college want to do it." I mean does that really have to be spelled out for you?
    Are you really not understanding what the fuck I'm saying?

If a substantial wing supports Nazism, should or shouldn't they be allowed to teach Nazism? You have said a few times that they should.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This country was literally founded by humanities scholars.
    Quite sure the US was foundered by rich white people that didn't like paying taxes to the King of England.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Are you really not understanding what the fuck I'm saying?

If a substantial wing supports Nazism, should or shouldn't they be allowed to teach Nazism? You have said a few times that they should.
    I learned about Nazism in school. Didn't you?

I think you've missed the point of western civilization if you think western civilization means the eradication of the freedom of ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Banning ideas in response to the fear of the banning of ideas is not reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

You have a basic misunderstanding about how higher education works. People don't pay tens of thousands of dollars to sit in rooms while experts hide their expertise and read passages from a book to avoid offending you.
    No, in reality, I haven't missed the point of Western Civilization, and allowing for an ideology that is specifically designed to undermine, destroy, and fundamentally change the same society via subversive activities is asinine in nature and scope. At some point, you have to push back against foolish movements, ideas, people, and beliefs; otherwise, your civilization, nation, and nation-state won't last into the future. Now, to borrow a phrase from past philosophers, "Those who tolerate everything, stand for nothing!"

P.S. You have no idea who I am, what I'm about, my level of education, or my personal beliefs, so to be frank, take your prejudicial nonsense somewhere else.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2016-04-22 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Quite sure the US was foundered by rich white people that didn't like paying taxes to the King of England.
    The vast majority of which were effete philosophy nerds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    No, in reality, I haven't missed the point of Western Civilization, and allowing for an ideology that is specifically designed to undermine, destroy, and fundamentally change the same society via subversive activities is asinine in nature and scope. At some point, you have to push back against foolish movements, ideas, people, and beliefs; otherwise, your civilization, nation, and nation-state won't last. Now, to borrow a phrase from past philosophers, "Those who tolerate everything, stand for nothing!"
    You are still wrong. The foundation of western civilization is the free exchange of ideas, not oppressive authoritarian control of ideas. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    Caucasian students receive more than three-quarters (76%) of all institutional merit-based scholarship and grant funding, even though they represent less than two-thirds (62%) of the student population. Caucasian students are 40% more likely to win private scholarships than minority students.

While there are very few private scholarships that are explicitly targeted at Caucasian students as a category, Caucasian students receive a disproportionately greater share of private scholarships and merit-based grants. Caucasian students receive more than three times as much in merit-based grant and private scholarship funding as minority students.

http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/2...holarships.pdf
    So, in other words, it appears that they're earning their way versus leeching off of an AA system that rewards failures.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    which college course did you learn this in?

and why were you taking this class?
    A cinema studies course taught by a radical feminist. EVERY relationship by a male and female is unequal. Every male is an oppressor just because they're male.

A psychology class taught by an unethical hack (sorry due omitting names doesn't help when you tell us how old they are, where they live, and about an incident that would almost certainly have been in the local paper). Black people can't be racist. In fact ONLY white people can be racists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaransan View Post
    I call bullshit on the pay gap bit there. I got promoted to the same position at the same time as one of my coworkers whos a woman. They told me EXPLICITLY not to mention how much I would be making. When me and her got to shooting the shit about the promotions, she mentioned her new pay which was a full 2 dollars / hour less than mine. Is it a BIG thing in North America? Couldn't say. But it' IS a thing.
    You anecdotal evidence is just that.

Did she happen to say what benefits she's getting? That's the main reason it's bunk. Women, in general, ask for better benefits or more time off instead of money. Men, in general, ask for money. Yet you never see any headlines about the benefits gap.

Deleted
    I'm just going to respond to this one, because it so clearly sums up your whole problem. If your response is to say that black names sound poor, you are DEMONSTRATING the problem, not REFUTING it. If black names sound poor to you, you ARE a racist.
    Nope, The bias is based on socioeconomic status - they are NOT being discriminated against because they are black, but because they have poor sounding names - The exact same effect is noticed for white trash names - So racism 0 - Classism 1.
    Gods i hate debating this one, it consistently makes me sound like a Marxist.
    also you really should look up the three ways not to be poor, and the ways black people fail at those, and specifically their culture has issues with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you have a set of classes dedicated to teaching you Nazi ideologies, and promoting them as right?

The vast majority of which were effete philosophy nerds.

- - - Updated - - -

You are still wrong. The foundation of western civilization is the free exchange of ideas, not oppressive authoritarian control of ideas. Try again.
    The kings, emperors, theologians, philosophers, and historians of Western Civilization would like to have a word with you since the "freedoms" that you enjoy are all relatively new concepts.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2016-04-22 at 10:05 PM.

You're dodging the point so fucking hard. They aren't teaching Nazism as much as an altered history and an ideology. I've said this THREE times now. Why can't you just admit that indoctrinating kids with the ideology of Nazism and an altered history is bad?