Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I heard a funny joke about this event: "For once at Eurovision, Romania was the first. TVR (Romanian Television) is the one we owe this debt to"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Isn't this song contest the one where the theme has to entail glorifying refugees?

I doubt Romanians give a single fuck.
    There has never been a theme for eurovision for as long i can remember, also plenty of threads to cry about refugees no need to do it here where it's completely unrelated.

Personally, why not expel them? they didn't pay for it and if they don't enforce such a strict policy on it, you'll have more companies going to try this and without a doubt this was a very much last resort method they used.

Deleted
    Not that I care much about either Eurovision or TVR (or Romania really), but it all seems a bit strange to me? I mean, if a TV/radio station owes you money for broadcasting your show, surely you just don't give them the right to broadcast it anymore? Rather than banning a singer from their country? The song/singer was representing Romania, not TVR, so... what goes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar View Post
    Not that I care much about either Eurovision or TVR (or Romania really), but it all seems a bit strange to me? I mean, if a TV/radio station owes you money for broadcasting your show, surely you just don't give them the right to broadcast it anymore? Rather than banning a singer from their country? The song/singer was representing Romania, not TVR, so... what goes?
    Well, since TVR is the Romanian State Television, supported by the state, it is sort of the representative company of Romania. TVR is given money by the state and it neglected to pay its debts, so it's as like Romania neglected that in a way.
    Also, the Romanian representative for Eurovision is elected with support from TVR. So, while people may vote and all that, TVR is where all the artists convey firstly.

Now, the Eurovision representatives said that they'll leave the artist's song on the website out of respect for the artist, but in the current situation I don't see what else could they do. In the end, they do have their own costs as well and I doubt the artist himself can pay for them alone. He's not so known for that. It's a shit situation for the artist in particular but... it is TVR's management's fault in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    That' rude and not very inclusive of Sweden. You're punishing an entire people for what 1 TV station owes.
    It's not the first time these things have happened.

Not surprised, swedes are very xenophobic people , thats why they overcompensate with their migration thingy, " oh look at us we're taking in all of africa and the middle east , we're such tolerant ppl"

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The better question is, "What the hell is the eurovision song festival? Also, what's eurovision?"

It's too bad it's not bulgaria, I really wanted to see crybran start crying again.
    Australia is in the Eurovision Song Contest
    and we are as Far away from Europe than the United States is.

The USA should have a Singer in the competition

I have never heard of the contestant representing Australia..Dami IM ????

But for me, Eurovision has now been hijacked by Left Wing Communist types
    and the sooner England leaves Eurovision and Europe the better.

Best Australian Band for Eurovision is TISM

I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guess they will have to send more beggers to Norway to pay of the debt
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Guess they will have to send more beggers to Norway to pay of the debt
    You mean the gypsies that are a drain on Romanian society? I wish bigots would stop equating gypsies with Romanians. They aren't the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    I live here. Nobody really cares about the Eurovision ban, about the artist or TVR in general. Eurovision is of no real importance for the romanian people.

Referring to the romanian people as "gypsies , thieves , nation of criminals , third world country" comes under the nation bashing rule of this forum. I expect the rules to be enforced in this thread.

"The Romani or Roma, are a traditionally itinerant ethnic group, living mostly in Europe and the Americas and originating from the northern regions of the Indian subcontinent, presumably from where the states Rajasthan, Haryana, and Punjab exist today." Information for those who still confuse romanians with gypsies.

Quote Originally Posted by zubaja View Post
    Why does anybody care about the Eurovision Song Festival? It's just some talent show, but this time on a grander scale.
    And admit it, if you watch it it's either for the hot performers or the complete rediculousness of some performances.
    I used to watch it for Wogans commentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Maybe its retaliation for trying to hold up the Canada trade agreement.
    No, they didn't pay the participation fee some years in a row.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I am surprised by how many people click a thread that is clearly about Eurovision - just to state that no one cares about Eurovision.
    Going by the G-OT forum index, nearly 5000 people are interested enough to click the thread as of right now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by M5290 View Post
    I live here. Nobody really cares about the Eurovision ban, about the artist or TVR in general. Eurovision is of no real importance for the romanian people.

Referring to the romanian people as "gypsies , thieves , nation of criminals , third world country" comes under the nation bashing rule of this forum. I expect the rules to be enforced in this thread.

"The Romani or Roma, are a traditionally itinerant ethnic group, living mostly in Europe and the Americas and originating from the northern regions of the Indian subcontinent, presumably from where the states Rajasthan, Haryana, and Punjab exist today." Information for those who still confuse romanians with gypsies.
    To be fair there isn't much positive we hear about Romania, aside from the Roma.

Romania is famous for three things-Ceacescu, Vlad the Impaler and by extension the fictional Dracula. It is also mainly of interest to historians for the development of an unusually crazed form of fascism under Codreanu.

The country is never discussed positively. It needs better PR.

Oh wow Romania can't participate in the leftist propaganda song contest. What an awful injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    To be fair there isn't much positive we hear about Romania, aside from the Roma.

Romania is famous for three things-Ceacescu, Vlad the Impaler and by extension the fictional Dracula. It is also mainly of interest to historians for the development of an unusually crazed form of fascism under Codreanu.

Then you aren't looking hard enough. The country is absolutely beautiful. Amazing parks, the Carpathians, old style architecture, beaches, tourism in general. They have a burgeoning tech industry and have been one of the fastest growing economies in the EU.

Either you haven't been paying attention much, or you just hand wave away positive news about the country.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bad PR i guess.
    I'm not saying you are wrong with what you pointed out and I am not here for "better PR", but I expect the rules to be enforced in this thread.

Me and some Goth friends would like to spend the night in Dracula's castle.

http://www.bran-castle.com/

I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    Then you aren't looking hard enough. The country is absolutely beautiful. Amazing parks, the Carpathians, old style architecture, beaches, tourism in general. They have a burgeoning tech industry and have been one of the fastest growing economies in the EU.

Either you haven't been paying attention much, or you just hand wave away positive news about the country.

I was saying how Romania is perceived by Westerners. I do not agree with that perception.

Western media coverage of Romania is unambigously racist. 3 years ago when the european union deregulated immigration there were scare stories for months about " a tidal wave" of immigrants from Romania. I think one guy turned up on the first day.

Deleted
    I feel obligated to point out that Romania has been kicked out by the EBU, not by Sweden. The EBU consists of broadcasting companies from all over Europe, Sweden just happens to host the ESC this year.

I was saying how Romania is perceived by Westerners. I do not agree with that perception.

Western media coverage of Romania is unambigously racist. 3 years ago when the european union deregulated immigration there were scare stories for months about " a tidal wave" of immigrants from Romania. I think one guy turned up on the first day.
    Up until recently, Romania and Bulgaria had special restrictions for entering the UK. With the restrictions gone, one politician believed that about 27 million people from those countries would go to the UK. I was just shocked by the level of stupidity. maybe we're on about the same thing?

Romania's (and Bulgaria's) problem is that media talks about crimes committed by gypsies, while not mentioning that they are gypsies, which creates an unfair image of Romanians/Bulgarians. Muslims get a lot of shit for not assimilating into the culture of their European countries, but the gypsies aren't better.

Anecdotal story: My mom had a Romanian co-worker who didn't like mentioning he was from Romania, due to the sterotypes the gypsies have built in Western Europe