Poll: Who do you side with

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been avoiding all movie spoilers so I can't comment until I see the film and understand the exact nature of their conflict, but in the original comic Civil War storyline Iron Man was right.

I think the X men are right
    Ok, ok, it's really hard to choose...

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    No, Captain America didn't believe super-powered people could do whatever they wanted.

He fought super-villains. Why did he fight them? Because they were doing things he didn't think they should be doing.

He led a superhero team. Why did he lead them? Because he didn't want them out and about, willy-nilly style.

He even went to the Young Avengers and basically told them that they were too young for super-heroics.

What he didn't want was the government taking super-powered people and pointing them at people/places/things that the government decided were enemies.

I'm not even a Captain America fan. I'm poking holes at your broad generalization. If you want to re-form your argument into something less exaggerated and more concise...well, I'm kind of asking you to. You're wrong until you refine your argument: it's just that simple.
    You aren't poking holes in anything but the sand. He most assuredly believed that he and his should be allowed to operate without oversight. Just like every tyrant in history. Hell he even surrenders at the end because his rampage had so terrified, and hurt, the people he should have been protecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    You aren't poking holes in anything but the sand. He most assuredly believed that he and his should be allowed to operate without oversight. Just like every tyrant in history. Hell he even surrenders at the end because his rampage had so terrified, and hurt, the people he should have been protecting.
    I'm sorry that I have failed you in understanding Cap's position (regardless of whether it was right or wrong), but I see no need to re-explain things for you.

Keep on keepin' on, though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    And that's exactly why war machine points out how arrogant his position is in that one clip. Why does captain america think he knows better? He was in the military he should understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrryr View Post
    On top of that, there are simply people in the Marvel 'verse that you can't apply it to. Hulk being one obviously, but then there's Doc Strange. Ya know, a guy who converses with the embodiment of the Universe (Eternity), routinely stops beings like Dormammu or Shuma'Gorath who are multiversal conquerors, and you want to try to tell him he has to obey the whims of a government proven to be corrupt on one tiny planet? Then there's the obvious Thor, but what about ones like Phoenix? Brother Voodoo? Or heroes with powers that are waaaaay more dangerous/powerful than written in the comics for anyone who could actually think about it for a moment?
    If they're actively not threatening you, why the hell would you provoke them? Sure, they can wipe out your planet... but they're not. So why would you deliberately push them to do it by annoying them? That's about as intelligent as throwing rocks at a hornet nest because it's there. (If the hornets were 20ft tall and had laser stingers).
    When it comes to Strange and the other mystically aligned heroes, there's the incredible potential for the subversive element. (I recall Baron Mordo living in a Manhattan penthouse, as he admitted to a large bank account via a slight manipulation of Wall Street) These are characters that the law just can't handle, especially since from a legal view they have no superpowers. (Is Mordo stealing when he casts a small mojo at the Dow Jones? Sure. Can anyone prove it in a court of law? Good luck) Strange refused to become involved since as he put it to Uatu, it's a matter of public opinion. (Yeah, I think the writer's could have debated this a bit more before going to print with it. Stark told the government and SHIELD to leave Thor alone after Thor threatened to go biblical if anyone tried any of the registration crap)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I've been avoiding all movie spoilers so I can't comment until I see the film and understand the exact nature of their conflict, but in the original comic Civil War storyline Iron Man was right.
    Up to a point. After which the law became abusive.

I can't really judge until I see the movie and both sides are fully fleshed out.

There is no "right," there's only opinions, and the thread should have asked who you sided with, not who was "right."

That's what's making this movie somewhat interesting, as opposed to all the good vs evil movies out there. There's no right or wrong, good or bad, just different opinions. Just like how it (almost) always is in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    There is no "right," there's only opinions, and the thread should have asked who you sided with, not who was "right."

That's what's making this movie somewhat interesting, as opposed to all the good vs evil movies out there. There's no right or wrong, good or bad, just different opinions. Just like how it (almost) always is in real life.
    Yeah, I'm really hoping this movie makes both sides compelling and is basically 'Batman v Superman' done right when it comes to the heroes fighting.

How about side Cap for me and side ironman for everyone else? Register everyone but me, so I can go on doing what I want. I don't want some dickneck assnugget like Snowden leaking my identity to the world... and i'd like to discretely hunt him down and force him to walk into traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

i am of the opinion there should be a form of middle ground.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

It's a stupid story that could never possibly happen.

Then again so are most comics...eh.

Its one of the few times I hope the movie takes a different direction than the comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The only rational position is Iron Man's/Pro-Registration. Superheroes are vigilantes- that can cause destruction and death directly or indirectly on a scale exceeding human capacity and endurance. They are also the minority global population.

Allowing a vigilante who can cause megaton explosions to hunt down whomever he sees fit- possibly others whom can likewise cause massive destruction; is flatly insane, unsustainable and unrealistic.

Anti-Registration/Captain America's position is only tenable within the fiction of Marvel comics and the absoluteness of the morality of it's heroes.

There is no possible way society could allow like, Scarlet Witch to run float around Manhattan occasionally getting into scuffles with Loki.
    There's nothing rational about a comic book universe. While your rationale does apply to modern society and against vigilantism, and you spell out why vigilantism is illegal in every country, a comic book universe exists under a different set of parameters altogether.

In a comic book universe, we are often talking about threats which can annihilate mankind or destroy the planet or universe completely. So, there's often no time for bureaucracy and due processes to decide whether "super heroes" can be deployed for this scenario or not.

Which is the why the earliest comic book heroes - Lee Falk's Mandrake and Phantom as well as Superman had such strong moral compass. They had to act as judge, jury and executioner and thus had to be completely morally incorruptible. As superheroes evolved, so did their characters and they started becoming more vulnerable to corruption. So, who regulates a super hero?

In Marvel's Cinematic Universe, Shield was trying to set up an organization which can regulate super heroes and restrict their activities. But like anything human, Shield fell victim to corruption and collapsed. This was inevitable.

In essence - super heroes should regulate themselves and they shouldnt be answerable to those who do not comprehend their powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    There's nothing rational about a comic book universe. While your rationale does apply to modern society and against vigilantism, and you spell out why vigilantism is illegal in every country, a comic book universe exists under a different set of parameters altogether.
    Specifically pointed out that if one was just going by comic book creteria- all bets are off and it's whatever fantasy the writers wish. However, as applied to a 'real' world scenario there can only be the option of subservience or annihilation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Team Cap. Uberheroes are saving the planet from scary stuff. Civilians can pay for the damages. If I was a superhero, I would never pay for anything much less damages. You want me to stop that asteroid from crashing into the planet? Lifetime supply of pizza and cover my AT&T bill...also I want a Vive. Aliens are invading you say? Buy me a Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Who you think is right is an opinion. No changes necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Specifically pointed out that if one was just going by comic book creteria- all bets are off and it's whatever fantasy the writers wish. However, as applied to a 'real' world scenario there can only be the option of subservience or annihilation.
    And your option is annihilation then. You simply do not have the power to make them subservient, and yet you are still going to try, and they're going to kill you for it instead of leaving well enough alone. Ergo, you're making a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    And that's exactly why war machine points out how arrogant his position is in that one clip. Why does captain america think he knows better? He was in the military he should understand.
    Maybe because he thinks that super heroes shouldn't be a form of a military?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Maybe because he thinks that super heroes shouldn't be a form of a military?
    Which is to say that they should not also have over sight.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Honestly...I think they got the characters reversed. Cap should be the white knight siding with the gov and Iron man goes rogue....

No because part of captain america sides is that heroes should be allowed to keep anonymity. Tony Stark is a public figure, hence to him its a natural move to be registered as a hero with limitations, he already is.