Thread: World Servers

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post World Servers

*This idea is probably impossible or just straight up flawed im just thinking out loud

So i was thinking on how we could bring back the (World) in World of Warcraft, and one thing kept on popping in my head the idea of World servers.
    Realms would be removed, instead when you log on you go straight to your character selection screen to pick 1 of your 50 characters (max per account).

Then you would select a world sever of your choice, depending on how many players blizzard can handle i'm going to use the example of 20,000 per server.
    The idea is that you can select a new server by visiting a place in-game or logging out, there would be timer of how many you may visit per hour to prevent hopping.

World 1 PVP - HORDE 10,000-ALLIANCE 10,000

World 2 PVE HORDE 10,000-ALLIANCE 10,000

In current WoW cross realm technology has allowed players to play with each other without being on the same server, however this comes with restrictions and cons.

*No Trading

*No cross realm guilds

*Server hoppers

One thing that this game is really lacking is A/H ratios they are so messed up, and that used to be really important for the game it made the game feel alive you saw members of your own faction and the enemy faction with the same population awesome PvP battles could unfold and lead to some epic battles.

Or your on a dead server trying to start a raiding guild with some friends, but some of your friends are on many different servers. you can still raid with each other yes but you cannot be in a guild together help the guild out with supplies for flasks and food you just do it for yourself.

The possibilities are endless when it comes to World of Warcraft being fully unlocked and evenly populated.

Now this idea is very very...far away from being perfect and i'll list some of the reasons why this idea is pretty much either impossible or down right nope.

The Economy
    This would fuck the economy so hard its not even funny there would have to be an auction house per world server, And in order to prevent server hopping tycoons from fucking the economy there would need to be an Auction House Certificate™ that would cost a fair bit of gold that would increase in price as if you were changing specs, you can only have 1 Certificate active if you move to a new world you have to buy another and they would increase in price. i just pulled that idea out of my asshole someone could make up a better system i'm sure.

Names & Guild Names
    I Don't even know where to start here, this one is most likely the nail in the coffin for this idea cause i have no idea how this would be set up, my only idea is to make it so your name would be followed by your battletag and that's how you mail different (Dicknipples)

So if you wanted to send your Magic Cock mount to Dicknipples in the guild (hardy moose knuckle) and not Dicknipples from (How can i see invincible if its invincible) You would need to type out his battletag in the mailbox so the game knows its THAT dicknipples.

So there we go that's my idea shit on it if you love it, love it if you hate it.

Its 4:33AM and i just got done typing dicknipples 5 times what am i doing with my life
    Last edited by ThatGuyBud; 2016-04-24 at 09:45 AM.

There are problems with this though.
    I'm on a PvP server as horde but there are no alliance here and thats how I like it. I hate PvP and world PvP even more so.
    If I had to log into some mega server filled with players on the other faction then I'd probably just quit the game.
    Now, If Blizzard let me move my characters to a PvE server while still somehow remain in the guild I'm in thats still left on the PvP server... and yeah, there are problems here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I'm on a PvP server as horde but there are no alliance here and thats how I like it. I hate PvP and world PvP even more so.
    If I had to log into some mega server filled with players on the other faction then I'd probably just quit the game.
    Now, If Blizzard let me move my characters to a PvE server while still somehow remain in the guild I'm in thats still left on the PvP server... and yeah, there are problems here.
    alliance can't enter your garrison and gank you anyway so its redundant.

The idea here is there would be low pop servers still its just that at the top of say the World server browser you will have your high pop servers and the bottom you have your low excess pop servers.

Another reason why i don't see this happening is server transfers would be removed, and we all know how much blizzard is making from server transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Rue-7 View Post
    These ideas are cool and all but that's all they will ever be, ideas. Far too much of an overhaul to actually ever happen. I quite like how it is done in Black desert with X amount of servers, depending on population and then servers having channels depending on the amount of players on at the time. You characters are tied to a server but you can hop between channels. WoW have touched on this by merging servers in the past, so for this to be in full effect they would merge a whole bunch of servers then add these channels so players can limit the amount of players in the world around them.
    Wow is comparable to this, you get instanced out and in all the time without realizing it. if there was 2000 people stood in SW, they would all be evenly split into many different instances. Joining a group automatically puts you in their "channel".

Quote Originally Posted by Rue-7 View Post
    These ideas are cool and all but that's all they will ever be, ideas. Far too much of an overhaul to actually ever happen. I quite like how it is done in Black desert with X amount of servers, depending on population and then servers having channels depending on the amount of players on at the time. You characters are tied to a server but you can hop between channels. WoW have touched on this by merging servers in the past, so for this to be in full effect they would merge a whole bunch of servers then add these channels so players can limit the amount of players in the world around them.
    i see what you mean but those "server mergers" were terribly half-assed and im pretty sure they don't do them anymore i think they used to announce new server mergers but they haven't done that for a long ass time in less they have stealth merging realms i thought that shit was dead.

Reason why i think they are half-assed is cause i used to play on bloodscalp no idea how its doing today but when i played on it during the first stage of the merge it was still DEAD.
    Last edited by ThatGuyBud; 2016-04-24 at 10:01 AM.

Blizzard definitely has the money and technology to make world servers happen, but what's the motivation for them? A portion of players suffering from server population issues definitely isn't one, quite the opposite, Blizzard knows they can leech money from server transfers from them. World servers will not happen as long as WoW has millions of players left and is making Blizzard billions of $ yearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by neohobeo View Post
    alliance can't enter your garrison and gank you anyway so its redundant.
    Isn't that "joke" a bit old? Try a new one, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyBud View Post
    The idea here is there would be low pop servers still its just that at the top of say the World server browser you will have your high pop servers and the bottom you have your low excess pop servers.
    Won't everyone just level on a PvE server then and just jump onto PvP servers to gank untill they realize that there's no one to gank and PvP servers would slowly die out?

No point in having PvP server as all then, just have PvE servers with the option of turning on PvP, the result would be the same.

Isn't that "joke" a bit old? Try a new one, please.

Won't everyone just level on a PvE server then and just jump onto PvP servers to gank untill they realize that there's no one to gank and PvP servers would slowly die out?

No point in having PvP server as all then, just have PvE servers with the option of turning on PvP, the result would be the same.
    The idea is that it is the players choice in what they want to do, if they do not want to PvP then stay on the PVE realm with the other PVEers, the idea is that there is 100% freedom in where you go and who you play with and do your trading and raiding with. the World of warcraft is OPEN no GAPs

No again this idea is far from perfect and i'm sure someone could think up some sort of restrictions such as server transfer timers if you do it too often or be violate some sort of game conduct idk.

Also just so we are on the same page, there wouldn't be just 2 Servers like on the main post that was just an example of what i was thinking of.

There would be alot of servers PVP servers PVE servers RP servers all of em and alot of em to deal with.
    Last edited by ThatGuyBud; 2016-04-24 at 10:08 AM.

I'd like something like this, but I fear its too late in the game. Server connections are the only thing I can think of that would fix much. They SHOULD just merge more and more realms, imo.

I like some of your ideas but Im not sure how feasible it would be to implement. I will say though that I hate realm hopping and wish there was something to counter it. Although I'm somewhat of a hypocrite because I hop too; its just to convenient not to do.

I think for the economy you could have a number of economy groups and just randomly place accounts in one of the groups. This could work to even out the auction house all around.

As far as the names are concerned you could just continue to use characters old server names behind the character name, introduce surnames, or perhaps use battle tags. For mail regarding battle tags the mailbox could become boa so you can see incoming mail on all your alts.

I just had a thought What if all the current servers were turned into World Servers, So your character would be claimed for that World Server as well as guild names they would be Per server.

<Dicknipples> (Hardy Moose Knuckle) World Server 1
    <Dicknipples> (Hardy Moose Knuckle) World Server 2

So people can share the same names and guild names but which ever World server they were created on and claimed on would prove they're identity.

Meh idk, im rambling at this point 5:16 AM RIP, gonna go to sleep i expect this thread to be deleted for the copious amount of Dicknipples I REGRET NOTHING

Why not just have one massive AH, lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    i just logged back on to respond.....BEFUCKINCAUSE M8, have you ever tried to play the auction house?!? Do you have any idea how aids and slow the auction house would be if millions of people were all accessing it and undercutting on it.

I'm pretty sure the folks over at /r/woweconomy would start jumping off cliffs if that happend, it would be like patch day FOREVER AND EVER ANDDF>SDOFGFDG alright now im going to sleep, im going to end this with ...no

Deleted
    There should be megaservers like ESO system. To avoid lag due to a large number of players, there should multiple phased zones like we saw in Swtor. It does it automatically but also has an option to change manually. Or just less servers.

As for people who hate World PvP, you can just disable it.

The idea is that it is the players choice in what they want to do, if they do not want to PvP then stay on the PVE realm with the other PVEers, the idea is that there is 100% freedom in where you go and who you play with and do your trading and raiding with. the World of warcraft is OPEN no GAPs

No again this idea is far from perfect and i'm sure someone could think up some sort of restrictions such as server transfer timers if you do it too often or be violate some sort of game conduct idk.

Also just so we are on the same page, there wouldn't be just 2 Servers like on the main post that was just an example of what i was thinking of.

There would be alot of servers PVP servers PVE servers RP servers all of em and alot of em to deal with.
    And I could still be in the same guild, no matter what server I pick? And I can jump over to another server whenever I wanted?
    I'd be ok with it but I'm not sure Blizzard would be. Thoes server change services probably adds a bit of coin in their pockets.

The question is if this system would bring in enough new players or keep enough players from leaving to actually be financially beneficial for Blizzard? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    That would be sweet.

I am on the 5% faction of my server and the combining alliance&horde AH back in the day was the greatest thing ever happening to my gold purse. The increase in customers more than makes up for the increase in AH players.

As to world servers as such: never gonna happen because one faction on pvp servers will just die out after a while.

Deleted
    The thing is that they can already do this and have, to an extent.

I play on the EU RP-PvP mega-server - yes they merged all the EU RP-PVP realms together.

The server names remain only as a namespace for your characters but in all other respects it's just one big server. There is one AH, no restrictions on guilds or trading and one set of achieves etc per mega-server.

Another reason why i don't see this happening is server transfers would be removed, and we all know how much blizzard is making from server transfers
    this. there are a tons of things they COULD do. but they not WOULD do, because of... look at the picture.