Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Caning as a penalty

Do you think caning should be implemented as a legal penalty in your country?

10+ Year Old Account
    no because we got rid of it in the early 1900's.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Nope, not at all.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    no because we got rid of it in the early 1900's.
    Why? It can be useful as a penalty.

Deleted
    Why? To discipline those darn kids with their satanist music and smartphones?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Why? To discipline those darn kids with their satanist music and smartphones?
    No, for robbery, gang robbery, vandalism and sexual abuse and some other criminal acts.

30 days in jail or 10 strikes of the cane, your choice?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Little Psycho View Post
    No, for robbery, gang robbery, vandalism and sexual abuse and some other criminal acts.
    Who is going to cane them?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Who is going to cane them?
    Authorities.

No. It's not an appreciable deterrent to crime, does not offer any really understanding of the issue, and offers nothing in regards to rehabilitation. It's a poorly thought out guttural reaction to crime, and not something that offers society a solution of any real value.

(of course, by the same token the privatization of prisons is pretty much in the same boat...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Little Psycho View Post
    Authorities.
    Better be done by machine then. Nobody is going to cane people even for pay. Even if were there would not be enough people for it.

I prefer beating to jailing as a punishment for both humanitarian and incentive reasons. I think the long-term damage of jailing is significantly worse than a physical beating. I also think that the sort of people that commit the majority of crimes tend to respond more to immediate, easy to understand incentives than they do to things that have long-term effects - there's are not people with low time preference.

ITT: My main account is banned but I wasn't nearly done shitposting so I made another account.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    No. It's not an appreciable deterrent to crime...
    What makes you say so? The most infamous practitioner of caning, Singapore, doesn't seem to have much of a problem with criminality. Pretty much any analysis will conclude that incentives do matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    well now that i think about it the draenei could use a good caning.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It is effective. Even with that I am not sure it is something that we should use as a form of punishment.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

is this the middle east?
    mr pickles

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    ITT: My main account is banned but I wasn't nearly done shitposting so I made another account.
    We have had two of those today. And like four this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What makes you say so? The most infamous practitioner of caning, Singapore, doesn't seem to have much of a problem with criminality. Pretty much any analysis will conclude that incentives do matter.
    They also don't have trial by jury coupled with a legal system radically different than what's present in North America. It really isn't an Apples to Apples comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I prefer beating to jailing as a punishment for both humanitarian and incentive reasons. I think the long-term damage of jailing is significantly worse than a physical beating. I also think that the sort of people that commit the majority of crimes tend to respond more to immediate, easy to understand incentives than they do to things that have long-term effects - there's are not people with low time preference.
    Long term prison certainly degrades a persons mind and behavior to the point that most can't rejoin society in any meaningful way. Knowing that upfront means all long term imprisonment is really a life sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    30 days in jail or 10 strikes of the cane, your choice?
    I think a lot of people would take the 10 strikes and imediately change or regret their choice after the first or second strike.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."