Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

‘Turkish embassy tried to muzzle Swedish media’ – TV4

http://www.thelocal.se/20160424/turk...dish-media-tv4

The Turkish embassy in Stockholm tried to bring pressure to bear over a TV4 documentary, according to TV4's programme director, Viveka Hansson

Hansson, in a statement on the T4 website, said that she had been sent an e-mail by Arif Gulen, the press officer at the Turkish embassy, asking her to “reconsider the decision” to broadcast a documentary tonight about the slaughter by the Ottoman Empire of Armenians and other minorities that occurred during the First World War.

Turkey has long rejected claims that the killing of up to 1.5 million Armenians in 1915 should be classified as a genocide.

Hansson dismissed the request out of hand.

“We can never accept this. We will protest against any attempt to exert pressure that threatens freedom of expression.,” Hansson said.

“Unfortunately, I was not overly surprised when pressure on the media has generally increased. This happened, for example, just a few days after the Green Party tried to strike a bargain with SVT to ease up the criticism of Mehmet Kaplan,” Hansson said.

Kaplan resigned after being embroiled in two controversies: being photographed eating dinner with the extreme right-wing Turkish organization, Grey Wolves and making controversial remarks about Israel's policies towards Palestinians.

“This is serious. This trend threatens our open society. Therefore it is important to highlight it when it occurs.”

"We do not let embassies, politicians or other groups control our content,” Hansson concluded.
    Thoughts on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's reasonable for anyone to request things not to be aired. The statement that should be under scrutiny here is not this so-called oppression of free speech by the Turkish embassy but rather Turkey's position on the Armenian genocide, which is clearly ludicrous.

10+ Year Old Account
    This kinda stuff from Turkey is getting out of hand.

What's with Turkey threads lately? Does anybody actually care what that looney Erdogan does?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    What's with Turkey threads lately? Does anybody actually care what that looney Erdogan does?
    Erdogan did have a curt judgment in his favor in Germany?, so now he try to repeat it everywhere.

and that's why I'm voting Trump. If we leave NATO, it will dissolve, which means no more Turkey in NATO

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    and that's why I'm voting Trump. If we leave NATO, it will dissolve, which means no more Turkey in NATO
    Does Trump love Russia that much?
    Just kicking out Turkey would be the better choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    This kinda stuff from Turkey is getting out of hand.
    It is. Merkel listening to Erdogan in regards to that comedian case didn't make it better; if anything, it just fueled this lunatic's delusions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Have you raised white flags yet?

Deleted
    Why aren't people creating thousands upon thousands of memes about this douchebag Err-dough-one already? He's got thin skin and doesn't want to be insulted, so start insulting him. Drop an atomic insult bomb on his ass. More poems, raps, pictures, and everything you can possibly think of, insulting him as badly as possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Why aren't people creating thousands upon thousands of memes about this douchebag Err-dough-one already? He's got thin skin and doesn't want to be insulted, so start insulting him. Drop an atomic insult bomb on his ass. More poems, raps, pictures, and everything you can possibly think of, insulting him as badly as possible.
    You have 11k posts and no avatar.

That's criminal.

and you say people should post pictures etc. well, do a freaking avatar at least.

Lol

Deleted
    I really hope EU scraps the deal with Turkey beacuse they are acting out all over now because they think they hold the ace. Just adjust the damn refugee laws and put Turkey back in the freezer.

Must be tough burning good will with both EU and Russia in just a few months.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Have you raised white flags yet?
    No, we are accustomed to that authoritarian regimes complain about our media.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ry...risen-ensidigt
    Russian ambasador complain that Swedich media is not impartial, but Russia media show the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    This is something I wonder as well. Why aren't we seeing any sort of activism for the "love of freedom of speech". I think people are a bit scared after Germany case.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-04-24 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    No, we are accustomed to that authoritarian regimes complain about our media.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ry...risen-ensidigt
    Russian ambasador complain that Swedich media is not impartial, but Russia media show the truth.
    Are you denying that you heavily focus on one side of the story, do you? What authoritarian regimes, Ukraine? Yes, they had a coup over-throwing the democratically elected President n you were fawning all over the breach of democracy. "don't you hurt those peaceful protesters that are armed with molotov cocktails n taking over government buildings in illegal coup!"
    Since then the elected representatives were thrown out, all opposition parties banned n those who voted for them got killed by the thousands, over 1 million refugees, an economy in shambles. That's what I call an authoritative regime, do whatever it takes to crush dissent.

Meanwhile

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Thoughts on this?
    I am going to bet that the Swedish media will allow it.

Time to kick Turkey out of NATO.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Only reason Erdogan is acting like a spoiled brat is because of the leverage he has on europe with the refugees.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

They TRIED, key word right there.

Summerdrake and his homemade youtube videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.