Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Well this is a good example of when cultures need to assimilate.

Source: http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/201...tural-reasons/

A curry house chef prepared food after wiping his bottom with his hands - because he doesn't use toilet paper for 'cultural reasons', a court heard.

Mahbub Chowdhury, 46, had an empty bottle in his kitchen which inspectors discovered was covered in fecal matter.

He said he filled the bottle with water from the kitchen taps and used it to clean his bottom after visiting the toilet - and did not use loo paper for cultural reasons.

Chowdhury then prepared dishes including meat and fish curries at his Yeahya Flavour of Asia in Swindon.
    Not really sure there is anything here to discuss, but I have faith MMO-C will find a way to create discussion on such things.

Cultural reasons my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Cultural reasons my ass
    Don't do that.

And Indians are just not helping themselves on this one...

10+ Year Old Account
    That's...

Gross.

Deleted
    Well.... as long as he washes his hands after with soap I couldnt care less?

But considering that he has a bottle covered in fecal matter this... seems unlikely and I imagine he wont be alowed to run a resturant in the near future :P

There's no need for his culture to assimilate. Like most businesses, he has to play by the rules or he gets cut down. Health inspectors should close him and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    There's no need for his culture to assimilate. Like most businesses, he has to play by the rules or he gets cut down. Health inspectors should close him and that's that.
    That might be considered racist by certain sectors.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is it takes time for that to happen. Typically someone has to notice AND report it, then it takes time to get inspectors out, and it often takes several "closures" before a person is banned from setting up business again and that's not even a guarantee that he won't get just get a job for someone else who doesn't care what his habits are, or agrees with them.

So really, assimilating is the only solution.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The problem is it takes time for that to happen. Typically someone has to notice AND report it, then it takes time to get inspectors out, and it often takes several "closures" before a person is banned from setting up business again and that's not even a guarantee that he won't get just get a job for someone else who doesn't care what his habits are, or agrees with them.

I actually agree that it takes too long to find the problem, but there has to be some check in place when the guy is getting the permit to sell food that he can't do that, right?

Btw I also find it ironic that a guy selling cultural food has to assimilate. Not that I disagree, just. Lol.

This whole situation stinks.

I feel bad for the people that ate those curries that day. They probably had a pretty shitty experience. They really got a Flavour of Asia.

That's disgusting.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Source: http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/201...tural-reasons/

Not really sure there is anything here to discuss, but I have faith MMO-C will find a way to create discussion on such things.
    So, I live in a a Filipino household, I am white. One of the unique cultural actions they do is they clean themselves with water, instead of toilet paper (most of the time). That being said, afterwards, they THOROUGHLY wash their hands, and if you don't, it is considered...really gross lol.

If indeed, his "cultural reasons" forbid him from using toilet paper. Then he should:

A. Not be working near food
    B. Wash his hands thoroughly and sanitize them before even leaving the bathroom.
    C. Wear gloves

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually agree that it takes too long to find the problem, but there has to be some check in place when the guy is getting the permit to sell food that he can't do that, right?
    Getting the permit is an agreement to the rules. Problem is a lot of people think their personal beliefs trump the rules. More people need to be shown that this is not true. People like this should basically be put into a database and banned from working in the food industry, not just banned from getting a permit. Anyone found employing them would likewise get banned from working in the food industry. Problem is most countries are VERY reluctant to punish business owners, usually hitting them with a measly fine they can make payments on over 10 years.

Btw I also find it ironic that a guy selling cultural food has to assimilate. Not that I disagree, just. Lol.
    Well, "assimilate" insomuch as "has to accept that he has to follow the rules and his "personal beliefs" don't get him out of that." assimilate. But we even have a problem with natural citizens who think their personal beliefs trump the rules. Once again: both parties need to be shown they are wrong. And the punishment needs to be strong enough that one or two people getting punished sets enough of an example for other people to fall in line. Publicize which place got closed, why it was closed and the name of the person breaking the rules. Note in the publication that anyone caught employing this person will be likewise punished.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    South Park already did this. :P

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Oh this curry tastes like shit...

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

If you get your food handler card pulled, people aren't going to hire you for any sort of restaurant. You'd have to work some real shady place. Or of course any job not involving food handling.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

ya..that guy should be banned for life from ever working with food again. it wouldnt be racist either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    If you get your food handler card pulled, people aren't going to hire you for any sort of restaurant. You'd have to work some real shady place. Or of course any job not involving food handling.
    I guess that must be a UK thing, the US has no such regulation on "food handlers" needing any kind of permit to do so.

Just, be kind.