Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Sanders thinks about banning cigarettes

Sen. Bernie Sanders said Sunday that he is not sure cigarettes should remain legal.

"Cigarettes are causing cancer, obviously, and a dozen other diseases," Sanders said on "Meet the Press." "And there is almost the question as to why it remains a legal product in this country."

Sanders mentioned cigarettes while explained his opposition to heavy taxation on soda. He said soda taxes discriminated against poor people .

"There's a difference between cigarettes and soda," Sanders said.

"Somebody making $20,000 a year and buy a bottle of soda, I don't think you charge them 30 cents more for that soda," Sanders said.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sa...rticle/2589395

first
    I want to point out the ignorance of Sanders not knowing the vast majority of those that smoke are the poor
    so a cigarette tax would exclusively hurt the poor more so unlike a soda tax that would effect all because everyone rich and poor drinks soda

second
    how can a person that wants to make marijuana legal but make cigarettes illegal for health reasons when pot is much worse for you health then cigarettes when it comes to putting pollutants into your lungs

third and last point
    for a man railing against the war on drugs why would he want to add another drug to the list to be at war with?

Deleted
    Why do we care about the man who is going to lose to hillary of all people...

Hell I could get a homeless man who screams about shadow men nominated if I lead his bid for office. Sanders is the Democrats version of Jeb bush.

Dumb as hell.

I'm not a smoker, and smoking smells bad, but it's not like prohibition works.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And this is why he has no hope of getting the nomination much less the presidency.

Hillary is a weasel but she is a weasel that "plays the game".

Cigarettes are bad. I would ban them if I were a dictator with absolute power.

But if you are hoping to get elected, you don't say shit like this.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Dumb as hell.

I'm not a smoker, and smoking smells bad, but it's not like prohibition works.
    Yeah, this is exactly the kind of thing that might even make it worse. Smoking seems to be dying just fine on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    ...I could get a homeless man who screams about shadow men nominated...
    Thanks. I just had coffee come out my nose.

cigarette smokers are some of the least considerate people I've ever met. They don't obey smoking laws near buildings, they blow the smoke in your face and they throw their butts on the ground instead of properly disposing of them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so a cigarette tax would exclusively hurt the poor more so unlike a soda tax that would effect all because everyone rich and poor drinks soda
    Cigarettes are already taxed.

second
    how can a person that wants to make marijuana legal but make cigarettes illegal for health reasons when pot is much worse for you health then cigarettes when it comes to putting pollutants into your lungs
    Citation.

third and last point
    for a man railing against the war on drugs why would he want to add another drug to the list to be at war with?
    Because unlike the illegal kinds of drugs, tobacco products are pretty hard to manufacture. You can't just go out and cut a leaf off of a tobacco plant and smoke it. It'd kill you REAL quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    second
    Not true. While marijuana is unhealthy to the lungs, cigarettes are easily worse offenders.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/11...-lungs-tobacco

As to Sanders position, tobacco isn't going anywhere. In my opinion people have the right to enjoy whatever substances they wish so long as it only destroys their body and that they clearly know the risks. I have nothing against smokers who know very well that their habit will shorten their lifespan, that is their right to live as they see fit.

My one and only issue with tobacco and other substances is how it can affect others. Second hand smoking should be looked into, especially with parents. Harming the health of those that want no part in the habit is highly inconsiderate and immoral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, don't make it illegal just tax it out of existence.

I never really understood why cigarettes are supposedly ok while other drugs that could be argued aren't as harmful are banned.

And I'd really like to see a push for edible marijuana if it's legalized. The only thing I think is worse than cigarette smoke is pot smoke. That stuff stinks!

Deleted
    Can't say I'd mind this, but I doubt it would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    cigarette smokers are some of the least considerate people I've ever met. They don't obey smoking laws near buildings, they blow the smoke in your face and they throw their butts on the ground instead of properly disposing of them.
    So much this. Heck, I have a smoke allergy and can start to swell up and get really itchy if I am near too much of it, yet my mom still smokes while I am in the car.

Its for this reason that even If he was able to get that law to pass, they wouldn't listen.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2016-04-25 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

15+ Year Old Account
    Cigarettes are already over $10 a pack here and almost everyone I know that smokes just goes to the Indian Reservation now instead where they can buy tax free cigarettes for $2.50 / pack.

Never going to happen. Too much money at stake.

His idea about soda tax is baffling to me. Its actually there to protect the health of poor people who are the most likely one's to purchase something like a 69¢ 64oz Big Gulp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    In Canada they are HEAVILY taxed. $13-$17 a pack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just make it so smokers forgo all forms of public medical coverage and aid.

I am all for people smoking if they want to, just don't expect disability/medicare to cover you when you have to quit working due to your lungs getting fucked or whatever cancer you develop as a result.

The fact that insurance, medicare, medicaid covers anything with regard to smoking related illnesses astounds me... Paying for the treatment of people who willingly poisoned themselves... Fuck that.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic. I don't smoke either, but I have done my research, and can tell you cigarettes are far worse for you. They contain shit like candle wax, acetone, and lighter fluid, whereas marijuana is all natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    the question was why was he against the soda tax but for cigarette tax

Citation.
    Smoking marijuana produces a nearly threefold increase of inhaled tar compared with tobacco, according to some studies. Other research suggests that marijuana smokers, compared to cigarette smokers, inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer.

Marijuana smoke contains cancer-causing substances, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Some research shows that marijuana smoke has up to 70% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco smoke, it says
    http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessati...health-effects

Because unlike the illegal kinds of drugs, tobacco products are pretty hard to manufacture. You can't just go out and cut a leaf off of a tobacco plant and smoke it. It'd kill you REAL quick.
    What? what do you think cigarettes are made from? I live in Tobacco country and all the hell they do is take the tobacco leaf dry it and cut it up nothing more
    I can go right now when tobacco is in season pull a leaf rinse it off dry it in the sun for a few days roll it up and smoke it. as a matter of fact cigars the expensive ones are rolled in a tobacco leaf its self
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2016-04-25 at 08:37 PM.

Deleted
    America tried prohibition on Alcohol and it failed, the war on drugs failed, so why does anyone think this will work?