Thread: What Server ?

7+ Year Old Account

What Server ?

I'm looking for a good server on US WOW since I finally got a US account so thought I'd give WOW a fresh try over there so was just wondering about the following on US WOW:

What's a good Horde server ?
    What's a good Alliance server ?

Plus from what I looked at going by the realm population list when I was initially going to pick a server it seems that most of the population of US WOW is concentrated on 20 servers or so with those being in no particular order: Moon Guard, Dalaran, Stormrage, Illidan, Sargeras, Tichondrius, Wyrmrest Accord, Emerald Dream, Aerie Peak, Area 52, Dentarg, Lightbringer, Proudmoore, Thrall, Whisperwind, Zul'jin, Bleeding Hollow, Darkspear, Kel'Thuzad and Mal'Ganis.

So would any of those 20 servers be a good pick as well ?

Oh and it doesn't really matter if the server is RP, Normal or whatever anything goes for me really.

If you prioritize raiding, I would look at the progression rankings for those servers and select one with more guilds that might be looking to recruit in the progression range you're interested in (Mythic, Heroic, etc.).

If you're not much of a raider, and prefer a more social and active community, I would recommend a RP server (Wyrmrest Accord is good for Horde, MG for Alliance, if memory serves). They tend to stay a little more active during content lulls.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow a response from a mod I think I need to /bow or something hehe.

Social would be best yeah since the servers I have chars on right now Ghostlands and Steamwheedle Cartel from the looks of things just by going into the main cities seem pretty dead but that can't be cause of the time of night there since the local time on the server right now is 21:24

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liyka View Post
    Oh wow a response from a mod I think I need to /bow or something hehe.

Social would be best yeah since the servers I have chars on right now Ghostlands and Steamwheedle Cartel from the looks of things just by going into the main cities seem pretty dead but that can't be cause of the time of night there since the local time on the server right now is 21:24
    Just remember that if you're rolling on an RP realm, and you're not into RP yourself, to be respectful of people who are. Argent Dawn EU has a pretty big problem with people who feel doing whatever they can to ruin someone else's fun is an okay thing to do because "lel RP'ers".

I've found Wyrmrest Accord (Horde, RP) and Proudmoore (Alliance, PVE) to be the most to my liking out of those servers, and I've played on a few of the ones on that list.

Proudmoore has a more active raiding and PuG scene, but WrA has people out and about in the world hosting events and RP, and that's a very interesting experience. If you try a RP server, it can be hard or daunting to start getting into RP, but I've found some good guilds that are still hosting great events even this deep into the end-of-expansion lull.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to your personal preferences, of course. Good luck finding something that suits you!

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the info this'll give me something to think about as to picking a server now truly.

Honestly when I looked at the realm pop list I can't believe how many realms were listed as Low population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the info this'll give me something to think about as to picking a server now truly.

Honestly when I looked at the realm pop list I can't believe how many realms were listed as Low population.
    The low population thing is a result of two different causes: A lot of people have left because there hasn't been anything new in quite a while. It's the end of the expansion and all of that. The second thing is something Blizzard tweeted about not too long ago: They are trying to avoid all of the problems they had with the launch of Warlords, servers crashing, long waits to get in and all of that. So just recently they tweeted they have increased the overall capacity for their realms in advance of both the movie release and Legion's release a couple of months after that. So overnight a lot of populations readings went to low from where they were.

Here is the tweet from Blizzard Customer Service:

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/statu...97196847095809
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-26 at 02:46 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall is a pretty great server.

I'm OCE but I made a Horde character on there due to weird time schedules I keep. The people are really nice, the raiding scene is pretty great, The population is fairly solid and trade chat is one of the least toxic I've ever seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Loxi4s View Post
    Just remember that if you're rolling on an RP realm, and you're not into RP yourself, to be respectful of people who are. Argent Dawn EU has a pretty big problem with people who feel doing whatever they can to ruin someone else's fun is an okay thing to do because "lel RP'ers".
    Whilst I'm not an RP'er (anymore) I think people that purposefully go to RP servers to disrupt them are some of the scummiest people in this community.

- - - Updated - - -

https://realmpop.com/us.html <--- This website is great for seeing population and Horde:Alliance ratio discrepancy on pve/pvp, just scroll to the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I've found Wyrmrest Accord (Horde, RP) and Proudmoore (Alliance, PVE) to be the most to my liking out of those servers, and I've played on a few of the ones on that list.

Proudmoore has a more active raiding and PuG scene, but WrA has people out and about in the world hosting events and RP, and that's a very interesting experience. If you try a RP server, it can be hard or daunting to start getting into RP, but I've found some good guilds that are still hosting great events even this deep into the end-of-expansion lull.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to your personal preferences, of course. Good luck finding something that suits you!
    You kind of have to say though that Proudmoore is *the* LGBT server of US WOW.. so if you get offended by that, stay away from it, because trade chat is not your ordinary trade chat.

Alliance go on Stormrage or Sargeras
    Horde go on Illidan, Mal'ganis or Zul'jin

Depending if you want a pve or pvp server.. can't go wrong on this in terms of population that's for sure.