Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does anyone else have a Husky?

I have a question for you as Google didn't seem very helpful.

The "old man" as I refer to him has a quirk where he loves rubbing on us like a cat would do. And he only does it with his face, just like a cat does. He will rub his face against your body, arm, leg and sometimes he even scoots across the bed with his ass in the air and his head down like his face is a bulldozer. It is kind of comical when he knocks all the pillows off the couch or bed doing this I admit.

I've never owned a dog in my 34 years that has had this trait. Is it just a personal quirk of his, or something in Husky genes?

Picture of the culprit:

I don't really know much about Huskies but I do remember reading a stupid thing about a husky that acts like a cat. So there is precedent.

O yea here it is: http://www.boredpanda.com/tally-husk...aised-by-cats/

Might be bullshit tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advi...furniture.html
    https://www.petdialog.co.uk/petconne...ub-against-me/

I'll go the positive route and say the dog just loves your family's special brand of funk that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    i had a poodle. he is sleeping.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advi...furniture.html
    https://www.petdialog.co.uk/petconne...ub-against-me/

I'll go the positive route and say the dog just loves your family's special brand of funk that much.
    His absolute favorite seems to be after my daughter takes a bath and has washed her hair, if she hangs her head off the bed he will sit there and rub his face in her wet flowery hair for like 5 minutes straight. Its pretty funny.

My good friend, who was my neighbor, had one, and sadly it did not do this. Good looking dog though.

Might want to take him to the vet in case, something on his face/head is causing him to itch.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

it's 100% just a quirk my husky does same she rubs on couches and my legs

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I have a question for you as Google didn't seem very helpful.

The "old man" as I refer to him has a quirk where he loves rubbing on us like a cat would do. And he only does it with his face, just like a cat does. He will rub his face against your body, arm, leg and sometimes he even scoots across the bed with his ass in the air and his head down like his face is a bulldozer. It is kind of comical when he knocks all the pillows off the couch or bed doing this I admit.

I've never owned a dog in my 34 years that has had this trait. Is it just a personal quirk of his, or something in Husky genes?

Picture of the culprit:

One of my Labrador Retrievers does this "rubbing" against people like a cat. She mostly does it to get attention. "Heeeey, pet me and throw the thinging!"

As for the second part where he "scoots across the bed with his ass in the air", I've seen dogs do this after a bath?
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

No but I want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Dogs have scent glands in their face. Rubbing his head against you and other objects, could be him displaying ownership and/or dominance.

- - - Updated - - -

While beautiful, Huskies need more mental stimulation than other breeds. They're very curious, smart, motivated and can get into trouble if they become bored or left alone too long. They're a working breed and need to be exercised everyday, and given something to do.

Too many people get these dogs as pets because of their looks, not fully knowing the breed and what they're getting themselves into.
    Yea we got lucky with the old man. We rescued him a few years back. He was already 10 years old. He is now 12. Whatever spunk he had is long gone and he is about as tame as they come.

Previous owners kept him outside 24/7 here in Georgia, which is just terrible. He is more than happy to keep his ass inside where there is air conditioning and has no urge to go outside unless he needs to do his business.

He does love to talk though and will let you know when its breakfast or din-din time.

Mine does not rub on me, but stands there looking at me saying "WOOO WOOO WOOOO!" Which means "you are ignoring me".

I do, and while he doesn't behave identically to what you're saying here, he does something similar to his environment - it's usually (in my case, and I say this not as a dog behavior expert or psychologist) a sign he's bored or wants attention.

Mine is around one year and four months old, so I don't know how old your dog is, but it may just be younger husky behavior. Fenrir is my second such dog, as my childhood dog at my parents' house was a husky dog as well, but he acted much less zany than Fen does, though maybe that's due to age (other dog was a little over two years when we got him).

They're great dogs though - lots of quirks and they're a blast to play with and train.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

Beautiful dog. Can't claim to have owned a Husky, but I would love to. Problem is south Florida is just too hot for them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    While beautiful, Huskies need more mental stimulation than other breeds. They're very curious, smart, motivated and can get into trouble if they become bored or left alone too long. They're a working breed and need to be exercised everyday, and given something to do.

Too many people get these dogs as pets because of their looks, without fully knowing the breed.
    Oh yea, that's why I'll do it when I'm able to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

I have a Shiba Inu breed which, along with Siberian Huskies, belong to the Spitz genetic family. Our Shiba Inu is the most cat like dog I have ever owned. Yes she does the rubbing on your leg and pouncing/ crouching movements that you expect from cats all the time. Very playful/fun/silly dogs.

I am one that does a lot of research on the breed of dog I intend on bringing in to my family. Our dog has lived up to the billing of being stubborn but intelligent and they are not recommended for first time dog owners. She is the probably one of the best dogs I have ever owned and is all trained up at this point.
    Last edited by Hamacus; 2016-04-26 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunner View Post
    Mine does not rub on me, but stands there looking at me saying "WOOO WOOO WOOOO!" Which means "you are ignoring me".
    Yup I get the WOO WOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when its time to eat or go potty.

Sometimes when I am petting our other dogs I ignore him on purpose to make him do it.

What is funny, our male Corgi now tries on occasion to imitate his howling and it just so weak and pathetic in comparison to a Husky's deep voice.

My year old husky doesn't do anything like that, it sounds funny though. I've noticed that each dog has their own personality and quirks. A male akita I had was serious almost all the time like he was on guard duty, but my female akita would give constant licks and loved to snuggle up next to me. But the husky is more content just being around me, like playing with his toys at my feet or sleeping on my feet, he isn't much for petting and all that.

I have a pit mix and she does this to me and hubs. she rarely does it to a furniture, but she loves to butt us with her head, sometimes she would actively rub it and sometimes she just shoves her head against whatever body part is closest and then just cuddles this way. I figured its just her wanting our attention and affection.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was a contractor for too long...when you said "husky" I thought:

And my prepared response was, "No, I keep a kobolt with me."
    Last edited by GodlyBob; 2016-04-26 at 05:18 AM.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.