Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    Of course, because it proves conclusively that Blizzard's "it's too difficult technically" argument is complete nonsense. As is their "we must protect our IP" argument. They seem to have incompetent technical and legal staff, or they just spew excuses.
    Interesting that vanilla code does not seem to be missing anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    or these tools fail to transfer them and you have to do a lot of work to transfer them semi-manually with help of people who made this software. Been there, done that. Sometimes it's not worth it and old code is scrapped. Yes, it may sound awful, but with shit this big, and this useless (even if you preserve old code - it's unusable in modern system and sits there like a 27 years old person without education, job, goals in life, etc living with this parents) it's not something unbelievable
    As I said, in the absolute worst case, if the migration fails or you are too lazy to do it or whatever, you are left with a backup.

Do you notice something about the Pristine Realms?

They do not say that it would be vanilla, in any way.

They do not say that the world would be reverted to pre-Cataclysm form.

They do not say that the Pristine Realm wouldn't have all the current content up to Warlords of Draenor, with all new continents and planets alike.

In other words, it'd be same as current WoW, same class mechanics, same gameplay, just harder levelling, forcing you to reroll if you want transfers of realms/race changes/faction changes...just without the convenience retail WoW has. Only to create a closed community in a supposedly isolated server type.

I do not think that is anywhere close to what the private server people truly wanted. The end?

Quote Originally Posted by ddd View Post
    Why not 'hire' Nostalrius? Make it legal and official, and let their team continue the great work? They're passionate and they're doing it for free.
    To protect IP - write an agreement/document with Nostalrius team that will secure everything, future of the server.
    Everything will belong to Blizzard, but folks from Nost will run the server. Community effort, passion, love for the game will be rewarded. Simple as that.
    I'd imagine they have a long line of people who want to work for Blizzard. Because of that, I bet they have pretty high standards they hold applicants to. I'm not sure Blizzard would want people who worked on a pirate server, but let's say they would for this scenario. Surely we'd expect Blizzard to hold those people to the same high standards and not just auto hire them because they managed to duct tape a vanilla server together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    because legal complications.

Nostalrius isn't a company
    Nostalrius cannot be the ones to maintain until the current legal proceedings are resolved
    Nostalrius as a company needs a viable business plan to maintain
    Blizzard will likely want a cut, which has to be negotiated,
    etc.etc.etc.
    None of the points you raised are really big issues though. They also didn't actually sue the nostalrius devs, afaik.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    very good response - clear not to pirates and thieves - and finalt nost freaks will calm down as they got reposnse they wanted - legacy will never happen - very good day for justice very bad day for thieves.
    But it is interesting that they are talking to the "thieves" and are "looking forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    Of course they wouldn't store all their revisions. They would, however, store releases. The software I'm working on currently, I can pull up 10 year old release code in a minute. Of course that depends largely on the company, but it is feasible to store code from previous releases.
    It also depends on the size of the software, and amount of "luggage" that goes with this software. Playing captain hindsight is always easy, but again - my point is, that blizzard either went for a risk and removed old code completely due to various reasons, or they lie about it. I go with first one. Someone goes with second one. But people who say that it is impossible for blizzard to not have the old code are simply not right, it's possible
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    None of the points you raised are really big issues though. They also didn't actually sue the nostalrius devs, afaik.
    They were talking certain nost members & the hosting company to court. Because nost isn't a single entity they can't take everyone realistically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Do you notice something about the Pristine Realms?

They do not say that it would be vanilla, in any way.

They do not say that the world would be reverted to pre-Cataclysm form.

They do not say that the Pristine Realm wouldn't have all the current content up to Warlords of Draenor, with all new continents and planets alike.

In other words, it'd be same as current WoW, same class mechanics, same gameplay, just harder levelling, forcing you to reroll if you want transfers of realms/race changes/faction changes...just without the convenience retail WoW has. Only to create a closed community in a supposedly isolated server type.

I do not think that is anywhere close to what the private server people truly wanted. The end?
    But.. that is basically what a legacy server is as well.

From a company view, this makes more sense.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    But it is interesting that they are talking to the "thieves" and are "looking forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks".
    For all we know, they are flattering them to pick their brains to make future WoW code harder to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    yup time to start locking all those threads as they are completly pointless - no legacy cervers ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder if the nostralius developers can comment further on the types of discussions they've had with blizzard.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    They were talking certain nost members & the hosting company to court. Because nost isn't a single entity they can't take everyone realistically.
    Didn't they just send a C&D letter, and threaten to go to court if they didn't oblige?
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard will make this same excuse over and over, it will not stop. Classic WoW is not returning..

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Didn't they just send a C&D letter, and threaten to go to court if they didn't oblige?
    Yesterday, we received a letter of formal notice from US and french lawyers, acting on behalf of Blizzard Entertainment, preparing to stand trial against our hosting company OVH and ourselves in less than a week now. This means the de facto end of Nostalrius under its current form.
    They evidently ignored the cease & desist prior to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But.. that is basically what a legacy server is as well.

From a company view, this makes more sense.
    What Nostalrius people want is a vanilla server because they do not like how retail WoW is all around, not just the supposed lack of community feel. They are stuck to their nostalgy, believing that all the unbalance and lack of even more content is the ideal state. Pristine realms would flop even harder than actual Blizzard-hosted vanilla servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    very good response - clear not to pirates and thieves - and finalt nost freaks will calm down as they got reposnse they wanted - legacy will never happen - very good day for justice very bad day for thieves.
    This is a good example of what I was talking about, @Ergunk.

No consideration of the wider debate or its participants, and a conclusion drawn that isn't supported by the quoted text.

This is what we're dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Vocal minority seems to love the argument about Nostalrius doing fine with their server, so Blizzard could really just press a button for it.
    I've not seen anyone claim that. What people are claiming is that if a set of volunteers can design a server for free, and host a million accounts on it, how can it be too difficult for a billion-dollar company?

Please stop making things up; it doesn't help the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    its not surprising - why take case to court when you can dictate them whatever you want without judge - they know perfeckly well that if it landed in court they would own blizzard milions of dollars and this way they are basickly their bitches.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    This is a good example of what I was talking about, @Ergunk.

No consideration of the wider debate or its participants, and a conclusion drawn that isn't supported by the quoted text.

This is what we're dealing with.
    you are not dealing with anythig anymore - there is nothing to deal with

blizzard said officialy "no" to legacy servers- you lost, deal with it.

because legal complications.

Nostalrius isn't a company
    Nostalrius cannot be the ones to maintain until the current legal proceedings are resolved
    Nostalrius as a company needs a viable business plan to maintain
    Blizzard will likely want a cut, which has to be negotiated,
    etc.etc.etc.
    to add ontop of what you said, it wouldnt be a 1 week process, to sort everything from today to a release IF they were to use nost people, it could take years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    it doesn't help the debate.
    debate has ended with a clear conclusion "no" - stop beating dead horse.