Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone the Crow View Post
    Wrong. You're the one who doesn't know what a control group is. For it to be a control group, they would have to have been absolutely sure that they weren't spanked. Not just asking "were you spanked a child?" and them saying "nope!" That kind of data is fucking worthless. Again: Not a study: It was little more than a useless questionnaire.
    That's nothing more than ridiculous.

Wrong. You're the one who doesn't know what a control group is. For it to be a control group, they would have to have been absolutely sure that they weren't spanked. Not just asking "were you spanked a child?" and them saying "nope!" That kind of data is fucking worthless. Again: Not a study: It was little more than a useless questionnaire.
    I think one of the most useful portions of the control is random assignment, which cannot ethically be replicated in this day and age for a study of this type.

Else we have unanswered questions about potential differing parenting styles, single versus two parent households, and a variety of other factors that could have played into outcomes.

15+ Year Old Account

A questionnaire is a questionnaire whether it's ten people or ten million people, whether it was over five minutes or fifty years. None of that changes the fact that they had no way whatsoever of verifying any fucking answer they received when they asked. Doubly so since most people will misremember their own childhoods; some pussies will say that a light smack on the ass once when they were three was a brutal case of child abuse, while another will say it was a spanking, while yet another will not even remember it all because it had so little effect on their childhood. And all the "researchers" (and I'm only using that term in a technical sense, and in no way a respectful one) have to go on is what they tell them.

And again: If spanking makes everyone a horrible person, and over 80% of the world's population was spanked, then the world must be a fucking cesspool (even a fraction of that ~5,700,000,000, aka 80%, of all people) of the more violent, evil, and despicable people to ever live.

It's a fucking joke. The fact that you don't get it says more about you than it does anything else.
    Lolololol.

Dude you basically just called pretty much every research ever in psychology worthless. Congrats, go accept your Nobel in that alleyway over there.

But on a more serious note, I'm going to take the word of a giant team of scientists doing decades of research on hundreds of thousands of patients, doing more than just questionnaires (there were case files used, previous studies, volunteers, etc.) than some random nobody on MMO-C trying to justify why his parents spanked him.

When it comes to such studies, there's already a degree of error built into the research itself. You're not smarter than some scientist, kid, get real.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I have no problem with spanking under the following conditions:
    - You understand that a spanking is an open-hand swat on the backside which may sting but without enough force to leave a lasting mark
    - The child is being openly defiant/hostile and not simply having a tantrum due to excessive tiredness/overwhelming emotions/just too much feels and beyond normal boundary testing
    - It is an absolute last resort when all other attempts at discipline have failed
    - Some form of physical intervention is already necessary (such as the child refusing to stay on time-out requiring physical restraint, child's aggressive behavior may inadvertently harm another child such as a younger sibling, etc)
    - The child has been verbally warned "If you don't stop, you are going to get a spanking."

If these criteria are met, I don't have a problem with administering a swat to the seat of the pants. Call me barbaric.

I have found that for my three year old tickling works quite well. Almost always simply giving him the choice between behaving better and being tickled produces the desired result.

"Bath or tickles"
    "Bath"
    *keeps playing/running around*
    "Tickles in 5....4....3..."
    *runs to bathroom and starts getting undressed*

Works when misbehaving elsewhere too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post

But True

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Seeing as how the study is several hundreds of pages long and you've been making claims of the paper's fallacy since recently after it was posted, it would seem you're the one that's lying.

Even when studies are both available without a subscription to the journal (which I have) and short, there are always armchair "scientists" on these forums trying to point out flaws that don't actually exist. You're nothing special kid.
    So, failing arguments, you try to use your wit, logic, if you will, to prove that we cannot possibly disprove you, because the paper has not been read.

This thread was posted 4:25 (according to my forum times) and I started posting at page 11, which has its earliest post at 7:45, which, by my calculation is 3 hours and 20 minutes later. Now you might wonder how fast I read and I will tell you sir, I read fucking fast. In fact, I read a lot faster than you can fuck.

Dude you basically just called pretty much every research ever in psychology worthless. Congrats, go accept your Nobel in that alleyway over there.
    That is also correct. Most studies are not properly executed and therefore irrelevant, though pseudo-science has a huge following, if only because people agree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    But True
    It's ridiculous because you can't ever know 100% unless you're by their side through their whole childhood.

It's ridiculous because you can't ever know 100% unless you're by their side through their whole childhood.
    Exactly and therefore the study can never be accepted as proof.

Deleted
    Exactly and therefore the study can never be accepted as proof.
    You can't be serious.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I think one of the most useful portions of the control is random assignment, which cannot ethically be replicated in this day and age for a study of this type.

Else we have unanswered questions about potential differing parenting styles, single versus two parent households, and a variety of other factors that could have played into outcomes.
    I'm certain they used controls necessary. Know how I'm sure? The budget for this study was astronomic, the list of names with credits to it is LONG, the references is enormous.

I don't believe that there's a single thing a random MMO-C poster can come up with that hundreds of research scientists, psychologists and graduate students didn't already think of to control for in the study.

This thing is enormous.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You keep telling yourself that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post

Exactly. All of which I mentioned in a previous post.

They're quite literally just asking one basic question (were you spanked as a child or not), and not only relying on their word and the accuracy of their memory, but also ignoring anything else that would contribute to them turning out to be a shitheel.

I mean, they themselves said that at least 80% of the population is spanked. Unless approximately 80% of all the people they "studied" (again, using that term sarcastically) turned out to be a shitheel, and approximately 100% of that 80% were the result of spankings. Anything else would be meaningless.

You might as well come to the conclusion that if 80% of a world's population wore diapers as a child, and most of the people you "study" who were shitheels said they wore diapers, the only possible conclusion would be that diapers turn you into a shitheel.

It really is a joke.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is also correct. Most studies are not properly executed and therefore irrelevant, though pseudo-science has a huge following, if only because people agree.
    The Journal of Psychology is pseudoscience?

Oh ok, I got it. You're fucking with me. You got me good. Mind if I get in on the inside of this silly act and start mocking people understanding how things work?

- - - Updated - - -

You keep telling yourself that.
    I'm sure you've blown this case wide open. None of the hundreds of people who worked on this paper thought to use a control group or include a margin of error. I'm sure you've also unraveled the theory of gravitation and cured cancer too.

The Journal of Psychology is pseudoscience?

Oh ok, I got it. You're fucking with me. You got me good. Mind if I get in on the inside of this silly act and start mocking people understanding how things work?
    Psychology is quite literally just astrology "scienced up."

You can't be serious.
    Absolutely am. If the facts of a study cannot be verified, it can't be true. It might not be false, but you can't proof either, so it becomes null and void.

The only truth that we can distinguish from this is:
    80% of the worlds countries apply spanking (rough guesstimate after doing some weed probably, but w/e)
    Our hygiene, intellect, scientific prowess, life standards, social standings and everything that matters have only improved in the 20K years that mankind exists, yet spanking has only been an argument since 1960.

Conclusion; Spanking is completely irrelevant and only made relevant by people that are desperately looking to give their profession a reason to exist.

You have guts batman tanananan. Trying to keep fighting a lost fight, even if all you do is dodge. I would say cancer is an actual disease, it can be diagnosed and in some cases treated. If you do not see a problem with the way you're linking these subjects, I at least know which batman you are.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-04-26 at 09:15 PM.

I'm sure you've blown this case wide open. None of the hundreds of people who worked on this paper thought to use a control group or include a margin of error. I'm sure you've also unraveled the theory of gravitation and cured cancer too.
    I included margins of error myself (hence the use of the word "approximately" several times; but hey, apparently you're the only person who can read around here despite that proving that you don't).

But by all means, keep ignoring the points and instead just say "lololol u r dum!!!" as your only retort.

What a joke.

15+ Year Old Account
    (rough guesstimate after doing some weed probably, but w/e)

I'm certain they used controls necessary. Know how I'm sure? The budget for this study was astronomic, the list of names with credits to it is LONG, the references is enormous.

I don't believe that there's a single thing a random MMO-C poster can come up with that hundreds of research scientists, psychologists and graduate students didn't already think of to control for in the study.

This thing is enormous.
    I have seen plenty of peer reviewed articles in JAMA and Journal of Psychology that did not disseminate their data well or did not utilize controls to get accurate results.

Budget does not ensure outcome.

But I would like to verify for myself. Everywhere I look I seem to come up with abstracts and portions of the study. Since you have looked at it, can you provide a link?

Conclusion; Spanking is completely irrelevant and only made relevant by people that are desperately looking to give their profession a reason to exist.
    I dare say it's more to help sell their "good parenting" books along with attempting to feebly try to rationalize to themselves how they've wasted their life on bullshit.

15+ Year Old Account
    I included margins of error myself (hence the use of the word "approximately" several times; but hey, apparently you're the only person who can read around here despite that proving that you don't).

But by all means, keep ignoring the points and instead just say "lololol u r dum!!!" as your only retort.

What a joke.
    Thinks margin of error is using the word approximately.

Calls someone else a joke.

Okay Baty. then tell me, where does the number 80% come from. PLEASE. And please DO READ the article first!