Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does anyone else hate cilantro?

When I was growing up I was never exposed to cilantro, my Mexican food came from either taco bell or homemade with McCormicks seasoning. When I started working though I ate out and it was an Italian restaurant that I first encountered this vile herb. This Italian food place was new in a nice neighborhood, and they made a garlic pesto linguini that was the best, you would drive for 50 miles just to get it. They also gave you a big hunk of sourdough bread with a nice thick crust with good foil wrapped butter patty's on the side. This is a great restaurant, but then I cracked open the container on my chicken soup and it had cilantro in it. I was thinking cool some green herb like parsley or oregano, Hells No, this was the most bitter and awful tasting herb on earth.
    Turns out hating cilantro is a genetic trait, so who else hates cilantro? and who loves it?. I figured with Cinco de mayo around the corner people should be aware.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...on-your-genes/
    Last edited by Hooked; 2016-04-27 at 07:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know a guy who has several genetic quirks with his senses of taste and smell. Like you, he can't stand the stuff. I, on the other hand, am quite fond of it and don't notice any bitter or soapy character to its taste.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it. I was kindly offered and couldn't refuse a few too many ceviche dishes chock full of red onion (which I hate) and cilantro (which I now hate by association).

We have an el pollo loco chicken place where I live, the best chicken legs on earth, bar none. Their chicken legs are so good you will dream about them, the tacos however get a big fat splash of cilantro. I Always stress to them no cilantro and like 30% of the time they still put it on them. I hate cilantro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't eaten it often, but I can say I don't like it. I don't hate it, I will avoid if possible, but I won't throw a fit if it can't be removed cleanly. It gives me a black licorice flavor that creeps in through pure smell, so that taste becomes the forefront of everything. I don't like black licorice either.

Now onions on the other hand, I have nothing but irrational, overblown hate for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cilantro is food of the gods. I love that stuff >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Don´t use it often, but can´t make a good salsa without it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I fucking hate it with a passion.

All the Thai and Vietnamese places around me put it in and over everything, which near instantly ruins its normally amazing taste.

I pity the people who have that thing where cilantro tastes like soap. It's like, zippy and fresh. I love that shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    How can someone allegedly live in the Bay Area and not encounter cilantro? Its the most diverse area of America. There's more Mexican places than McDonalds. There's more Pho? than McDonalds.

Thankfully one can grow cilantro pretty easily. I got a few plants going. Gonna be some killer salsa when the onions and tomatoes start coming in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by J Allen Brack View Post
    I pity the people who have that thing where cilantro tastes like soap. It's like, zippy and fresh. I love that shit.
    Your signature makes me want bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Fucking, love the stuff!

I could never stand the smell or taste of cilantro, and it just completely overpowers the flavor of anything it's put in, so I try to avoid it whenever possible. I've eaten a lot of dishes that used it, and while I've tried to get used to it that is just never going to happen for me, and I was glad to discover that there's some kind of genetic basis for it and I'm not just crazy.

It's called coriander in the UK, and I love the stuff!!

I'm curious - for the people who don't like the leaf, do you also dislike coriander seeds / ground coriander?

I don't personally but my mother says it tastes like soap. Guess I lucked out that I didn't inherit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Don´t use it often, but can´t make a good salsa without it.
    I didn't actually have any cilantro until maybe last year when I wanted to make salsa and every recipe recommended it.

It's fucking vile, disgusting. I don't know a single person that likes cilantro over parsley (apparently cilantro is Chinese parsley) and it simply ruins any kind of food you put it in. I'm really wondering if the cilantro we have here is the same as the one from other countries. Different tastes I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    It's called coriander in the UK, and I love the stuff!!

I'm curious - for the people who don't like the leaf, do you also dislike coriander seeds / ground coriander?
    TASTE TEST TIME BRB.
    Edit: I can see seeds working, they taste nothing like the leaves.
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2016-04-27 at 09:19 AM.

My favorite bean recipe is

8 oz. dried pinto beans
    6 ½ cups water
    1 tsp. salt
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tblsp. canola oil
    1 small fresh jalapeno, finely chopped
    1 small ripe tomato, chopped
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro

It's part of living out here in the West.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Cilantro tastes like burnt plastic to me, they ruin every dish they are in. It's not a huge problem for me since I never encounter it in any dish I eat because I don't eat out.

The seeds I have no problem with and regularly use when making curry.

No way, I love it.

You can't make a good salsa without cilantro. And I mean real salsa, no that disgusting sugary thing that Americans pass for salsa.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    And I mean real salsa, no that disgusting sugary thing that Americans pass for salsa.
    What do you mean?