Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    So if I spend 20s during my bike to work pedaling as hard as I can (3 times during the 15min bike to work), I would be more fit than just normally biking to work? I guess I'll give it a go, I'm in the perfect position to do that.
    This is pretty much definitely true. Varied heart rate (and effort) is better than a constant effort for most fitness purposes. Pedaling hard occasionally will improve fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    And if you switch hands regularly, you get big arms too!

Obviously, don't want to end up like this

So if I spend 20s during my bike to work pedaling as hard as I can (3 times during the 15min bike to work), I would be more fit than just normally biking to work? I guess I'll give it a go, I'm in the perfect position to do that.
    Yes, adding in higher intensity intervals will produce better results. They won't be immediately noticeable, but every little bit helps, especially if you're already doing the exercise.

1 minute!? Who's got time for that? Any chance we can get this down abit to maybe 10-20 seconds?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could bike to work. Houston isn't particularly friendly to biking.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I wish I could bike to work. Houston isn't particularly friendly to biking.
    Hah, Socorro is the opposite. Short of the final stretch to work (which passes by a school), I don't even see any cars maybe half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    1 minute!? Who's got time for that? Any chance we can get this down abit to maybe 10-20 seconds?
    10-20 seconds?

man i WISH i had that kinda free time

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, Socorro is the opposite. Short of the final stretch to work (which passes by a school), I don't even see any cars maybe half the time.
    There are no bike lanes in most of the city of Houston, nor shoulders on the roads. Biking in the city is relying on drivers not to run you down. Plus, there aren't a lot of good biking corridors that aren't interrupted every few feet by a traffic light or other intersection. There are some along the bayous, but they'd never get me from my apartment anywhere close to my workplace.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There are no bike lanes in most of the city of Houston, nor shoulders on the roads. Biking in the city is relying on drivers not to run you down. Plus, there aren't a lot of good biking corridors that aren't interrupted every few feet by a traffic light or other intersection. There are some along the bayous, but they'd never get me from my apartment anywhere close to my workplace.
    True fact, we only have one road with traffic lights on it, and I avoid it for the bike to work. It also has the absolute WORST type of lights for every intersection, in that they are all trip lights, so a single car on a cross street trips the light and like 10 people get to wait at a red for a single person. Pretty much all of our roads have shoulders that are large enough to park on, so you can pretty much ride on the shoulder the whole way. Generally I'll have to go around 3 or 4 parked cars, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    True fact, we only have one road with traffic lights on it, and I avoid it for the bike to work. It also has the absolute WORST type of lights for every intersection, in that they are all trip lights, so a single car on a cross street trips the light and like 10 people get to wait at a red for a single person. Pretty much all of our roads have shoulders that are large enough to park on, so you can pretty much ride on the shoulder the whole way. Generally I'll have to go around 3 or 4 parked cars, though.
    Yeah it really weirded me out moving to Bouston and finding that the roads almost never have shoulders. Having grown up in San Jose, CA where virtually all roads have a shoulder or a bike lane or both. And weirdly here, because there's no shoulder, cars will sometimes just park right in the middle of a lane.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    The weirdest parking I've ever seen was in Philly. People park in the middle median, so strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is pretty much definitely true. Varied heart rate (and effort) is better than a constant effort for most fitness purposes. Pedaling hard occasionally will improve fitness.
    This is also why people who jog with occasional sprints get MUCH better results than people who just jog. That said, jogging with sprints is also MUCH harder than just jogging; when I used to jog every day, I often slacked on sprinting, because of how exhausting it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's 10 minutes, not 1 minute? That's the basic HIIT training, known for very long time. Click bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    So it's 10 minutes, not 1 minute? That's the basic HIIT training, known for very long time. Click bait.
    Yes, the title is a bit misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I thought everyone already knew that HIIT was more effective than constant effort?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-i...erval_training

EDIT: Didn't see Serpha's post.

copy and past this code in a TXT file and change the extesion to html. It gives you a 20 second warning in yellow before the sprints which are in red.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en">
    <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8"/>
    <!-- <link href="css/some-stylesheet.css"
    rel="stylesheet"/>
    <script src="scripts/some-script.js">-->
    <script>
    function runProgram() {
    changeBackground('blue');
    ms = 1000 * 100;
    setTimeout(changeBackground,ms,'yellow');
    ms = ms + 1000 * 20;
    setTimeout(changeBackground,ms,'red');
    ms = ms + 1000 * 20;
    setTimeout(changeBackground,ms,'green');
    ms = ms + 1000 * 100;
    ms = ms + 1000 * 20;
    ms = ms + 1000 * 20;;
    setTimeout(changeBackground,ms,'green');
    ms = ms + 1000 * 100;
    ms = ms + 1000 * 20;
    ms = ms + 1000 * 20;;
    setTimeout(changeBackground,ms,'blue');
    changeBackground('white');
    }
    function changeBackground(color) {
    document.body.style.background = (color || 'black');
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <body onload="runProgram('');">

</body>
    </html>

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

This information isnt useful to people who actually work out and understand exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Like a lot of people these days, I spend most of my time in front of a PC, working, playing games, watching TV, etc.
    Then replace a gaming/tv session with an workout. You spend an hour or two playing WoW or whatever? There's your time window.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    This is also why people who jog with occasional sprints get MUCH better results than people who just jog. That said, jogging with sprints is also MUCH harder than just jogging; when I used to jog every day, I often slacked on sprinting, because of how exhausting it was.
    Can confirm. I can do a 5k jog easily enough, but tossing in even short sprinting absolutely wrecks my time. And my right knee. All of it kills my knee, actually, but the sprinting really grinds it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

15+ Year Old Account
    could someone tell me if i'm getting the most out of my treadmill exercise?

i normally go to the gym 4 times a week doing 2 miles each time.

speed walk at 5.0 mph for 3/4 a mile then run at 7.5 mph for the last 1/4. then i stop to get my lifting in and then do another mile.