Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Considering we were shaped by Goths, Illyrians, and Slavs, I'd say yes. Considering our size since Medieval times, I'd say yes. And if you wanna ask about being proud, go read about what we did to defend our lands against Ottomans.

I mean, your point is so easy to get here... but keep in mind the many Italian, German etc. states were not part of the great countries they are now... so, doing the comparison you do is so stupid and sad.
    We had the largest Empire in history. France had an empire, a shitty one but still an empire. As did Holland, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Even Belgium! All can be considered mighty rulers.

Where does Bosnia figure in the list?

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    Talk about mental gymnastics. I remember when Obama started two wars in the middle east... oh wait, he didn't. I remember when Obama told the Russians to invade Ukraine... oh wait, he didn't. I remember when the economy collapsed under Obama and he had to bail us out... oh wait that happened before Obama.

Any more Bush administration mistakes you want to blame on Obama?
    So you think that bombing Libya without congressional approval was a Bush mistake (heck, even Bush got approval for Iraq)? What about supporting the Arab spring which destabilized Egypt (must be that rascally Bush again) and supporting the overthrow of Assad (which helped escalate the issues in Syria). Last I checked, we were on good terms with Russia when Bush left office (maybe he snuck back in dressed as Obama and mucked that up too).

Might want to let go of Bush, he hasn't been President for a good 8 years (before ISIS was even created- I guess you would blame that on him too)- you can't just endlessly keep blaming him. I don't even think Obama or Hillary are still running the "blame Bush" approach.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We had the largest Empire in history. France had an empire, a shitty one but still an empire. As did Holland, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Even Belgium! All can be considered mighty rulers.

Where does Bosnia figure in the list?
    It's not about achievements in total, but potential-wise. To compare Bosnia with say, Portugal, is insanely stupid. Bosnia was always surrounded by aggressive states; it was independent in Medieval times for a while, then taken over by Ottoman Empire, then by Austria-Hungary, then two Yugoslavias - brush up your history. There's only so much a tiny state in the midst of battlefields could have done.

And lol - do you like know the history of Italy and Germany? Only once they became great powers did the entirety of them colonize and rule mightily. WTF did most tiny Germanic states pre-unified Germany do?

Quit it and relax.

Sure, sure.
    What, do you really think people should treat the claim that the Russian economy would be great if only it weren't for mean Europeans seriously?
    I laugh at your artificial state with a horrible, atrocious history (are you proud of starting off with stealing land, holding slaves?)
    Yes, I'm proud of the United States winning wars that allowed it to expand to its current size and stature. I'm indifferent to the history of slavery as it's entirely typical of the era.
    I laugh at its best contributions toward tech and science coming from imported European geniuses; I laugh at the economy that leaves most people working so many hours they barely understand what family life and free time means; I laugh at your society that is based on "every man for himself" that breeds psychopaths (your mass shootings? not just due to lax gun laws, sorry) http://ranprieur.com/readings/americanpsycho.html; I laugh at your shallow pride.
    Like I said, this is all pretty funny. You come off as a bit of a puffer fish. I get it though man, whatever makes you feel better.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2016-04-28 at 04:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about achievements in total, but potential-wise. To compare Bosnia with say, Portugal, is insanely stupid. Bosnia was always surrounded by aggressive states; it was independent in Medieval times for a while, then taken over by Ottoman Empire, then by Austria-Hungary, then two Yugoslavias - brush up your history. There's only so much a tiny state in the midst of battlefields could have done.

And lol - do you like know the history of Italy and Germany? Only once they became great powers did the entirety of them colonize and rule mightily. WTF did most tiny Germanic states pre-unified Germany do?

Quit it and relax.
    I have fixed your original quote...

"We Europeans have become sadder than ever. Once the mightiest rulers and people with some potential..."

No need to thank me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yes, I'm proud of the United States winning wars that allowed it to expand to its current size and stature. I'm indifferent to the history of slavery as it's entirely typical of the era.
    What a sad thing to be proud for. It's no different to a German in what would be a 3rd Reich today saying he is proud of his empire taking over other lands and exterminating other peoples.

Like I said, this is all pretty funny. You come off as a bit of a puffer fish. I get it though man, whatever makes you feel better.
    It really is funny. I mean, what is your pride based upon? You take credit for Europeans like Tesla? Einstein? Or the many others your imported and whose achievements you took credit for? Lol. Yes, I do feel better telling the truth about your country. Quit doing shitty things to my continent and you'll be more respected.

Do you also find the article I linked funny? Is it funny that your society is more likely to produce psychopaths? http://ranprieur.com/readings/americanpsycho.html

- - - Updated - - -

I have fixed your original quote...

"We Europeans have become sadder than ever. Once the mightiest rulers and people with some potential..."

No need to thank me.
    Yea, almost all Europeans, including Bosnians, did what they could to rule with pride and might. Don't compare huge, giant states (especially Italy and Germany who weren't even there most of the time, bro) to small ones that COULD NOT do as much as the others no matter what. It's "do what you can" thing that counts, you know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where the hell is Hanover?
    As far as the 2% goes, I consider the monetary difference as rent held back for all those US military bases, that are not NATO bases on European territory.
    I'm aware, I'm not relevant for that matter, but I certainly don't demand from any European country to spend more than they already do.
    Why should we engage in that arms race? Against whom? Terrorism? Terrorism isn't successfully fought with conventional military.
    What other threat does that leave us with?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, almost all Europeans, including Bosnians, did what they could to rule with pride and might. Don't compare huge, giant states (especially Italy and Germany who weren't even there most of the time, bro) to small ones that COULD NOT do as much as the others no matter what. It's "do what you can" thing that counts, you know?
    But what did Bosnia rule? You have not explained that bit yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Being small never stopped the Netherlands
    Lucky for you that a) you had a huge coast, and b) weren't taken over by other shitty empires.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Holy Roman empire wan't that tiny. Neither were Venice or the Papal states.

- - - Updated - - -

Lucky for you that a) you had a huge coast, and b) weren't taken over by other shitty empires.
    A) Only 523 km
    B)Spain and France wave: Hi!
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2016-04-28 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when Obama interfered in Syria's affairs and worsened the chaotic situation in Middle East? Remember when he prematurely pulled his dirty forces out of Iraq and destabilized the whole area? Remember when he increased worthless, unethical drone strikes, of which many campaigns over many months often led to most casualties being civilians?

Now you do.
    See here is some more of that juicy irony.

Remember when the UK wanted to pullout of the EU and disrupt the world economy for personal gain?

What a sad thing to be proud for. It's no different to a German in what would be a 3rd Reich today saying he is proud of his empire taking over other lands and exterminating other peoples.
    That's probably what I'd say if I was trying to find ways to be proud of a nation that hadn't done super well.

It really is funny. I mean, what is your pride based upon? You take credit for Europeans like Tesla? Einstein? Or the many others your imported and whose achievements you took credit for? Lol. Yes, I do feel better telling the truth about your country. Quit doing shitty things to my continent and you'll be more respected.

Do you also find the article I linked funny? Is it funny that your society is more likely to produce psychopaths? http://ranprieur.com/readings/americanpsycho.html
    Yes, the whole puffer fish routine is pretty funny.

I am indeed proud that Germans and other native-born Europeans escaped the chaos of their continent to do their greatest work at American institutions. I'm also proud of native-born Americans like Salk and Shockley. The extent to which the United States dominates Nobel prizes is indeed impressive.

But really, what's the point in a pissing contest between Bosnia and the USA? It's not gonna make you look great dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    The Holy Roman empire wan't that tiny.
    Which one? There were a few.

Deleted
    But what did Bosnia rule? You have not explained that bit yet.
    The land we formed? And prior to that the people who inhabited Bosnia ruled other lands? Think of the mighty Goths, Slavs

You are so sad. Are you a native Brit?

Remember when Obama interfered in Syria's affairs and worsened the chaotic situation in Middle East? Remember when he prematurely pulled his dirty forces out of Iraq and destabilized the whole area? Remember when he increased worthless, unethical drone strikes, of which many campaigns over many months often led to most casualties being civilians?

Now you do.
    So we are pretending that all of this isn't directly the result of the invasion of Iraq which he never supported? Unless you are arguing he is at fault because he didn't do a good enough job fixing mistakes someone else made...

Deleted
    Says a hell of a lot about your own empire.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Spectral;40059464]
    Yes, the whole puffer fish routine is pretty funny.

I am indeed proud that Germans and other native-born Europeans escaped the chaos of their continent to do their greatest work at American institutions. I'm also proud of native-born Americans like Salk and Shockley. The extent to which the United States dominates Nobel prizes is indeed impressive.

But really, what's the point in a pissing contest between Bosnia and the USA? It's not gonna make you look great dude.
    Bosnia is in Europe, and Europe is, has always been, and shall always be greater than your artificial country.

You should save your energy when you come across that psychopath or two in your neighbourhood. Don't waste it on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Which one? There were a few.
    The biggest one

10+ Year Old Account
    The land we formed? And prior to that the people who inhabited Bosnia ruled other lands? Think of the mighty Goths, Slavs

Yes I am British, hence me saying that we had the largest Empire in history. Mongols came second, or first loser as we call them.

Ruling yourself does not make you a mighty ruler, otherwise Malta is a mighty ruler and even the Maltese would dispute that.

10+ Year Old Account

Slavs were nomadic, hence why they never had an empire.
    They're the largest ethnic group in central and eastern Europe for that matter, but did not ever form a larger state construct.