10+ Year Old Account

USC Canceled a panel of games industry giants because they were all male...

Article Link

Apparently last week the University of Southern California was going to host a panel called "Legends of the Game Industry" within their Cinematic Arts school. A few hours before the panel was to be hosted, they canceled it "in the interest of promoting diversity and inclusion within the USC Games family."

I say apparently, because I can't find very many outlets reporting this story at all... Read into that what you will.

The video game design program at USC is ranked 2nd in the country on the Princeton Review, its a shame their students didn't get to experience the insight of those who have flourished in the industry they are trying to join.

Here are those that were supposed to headline the panel:

I wonder if one of them identified as female if they'd allow the talk.

Well, I'm sure there wouldn't have been anyway for aspiring female game developers to have learned anything from these guys. They're a bunch of males. Ugh. They're not even Diverse (well, unless you count Asian guys, but we all know they're not really Diverse). What could they have to teach anyone? Hell, they're probably all cis too!
    “There was no perfect choice here,” Director of USC Games Tracy Fullerton said. “There was only the choice to stand for one set of values or another. So, I chose the path I believe in. You all are free to disagree, but I think it is the right side of history.”
    So, this person.

*shrug*

It sure seems like "right side of history" is now the card played by people that don't have much to say about a topic but want to get their preference. That and, "it's [the current year]!".
    Last edited by Spectral; 2016-04-28 at 06:16 PM.

That'd have been awesome to attend.

Shame.

Deleted
    There needs to be misoginistic racist violent white male counter-movement to eradicate this retardness. Guess they need to be shown where their place is.

So in the interest of gender diversity they robbed all genders of this experience.

what does it matter? gaming is male dominated, anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So in the interest of gender diversity they robbed all genders of this experience.
    The spirit of egalitarianism at work! Sure, all of us get nothing, but we all get the same nothing. Surely that's better than the horrors of inequality?

10+ Year Old Account
    A panel on the gaming industry is kinda like a panel on prostate cancer... but it's their choice to cancel for what ever reason, and we are free to think them stupid for doing it. All is as it should be.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like somebody didn't meet their quota.

Diversity™

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    what does it matter? gaming is male dominated, anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty retarded
    but but but but when you include candy crush and farmville, the ratio hits 50/50!

It's sad when personal preference for this SJW/equality movement takes precedence over actual good career advice. Makes me fear for the future if these are the kinds of people that are running things, and if the typical "You can't be racist against whites/sexist against men" and "There needs to be transgender POC otherkin injected in everything or it's oppressive" people thinking that is the way the world works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    A panel on the gaming industry is kinda like a panel on prostate cancer... but it's their choice to cancel for what ever reason, and we are free to think them stupid for doing it. All is as it should be.
    Agreed. That panel would have been really neat to attend though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's sad when personal preference for this SJW/equality movement takes precedence over actual good career advice. Makes me fear for the future if these are the kinds of people that are running things, and if the typical "You can't be racist against whites/sexist against men" and "There needs to be transgender POC otherkin injected in everything or it's oppressive" people thinking that is the way the world works.
    Completely agree, and it's sad. I think most would agree that the ideology itself isn't what's wrong, it's how it is handled and how it is forced upon us.

All in all, the people losing here are the students and the future of gaming and not the representative, which is a shame.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

So pretty much the usual, gender politics deny students a great opportunity to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    We aren't doing gender threads any longer, because the community behaves badly with the topic. Locked.