Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, the sequels wouldnt be like the first, so the whole "he copied Pocahontas" thing should be mute with them. Unless you think he plans to have Sully bring Neytiri back to Earth, in order to follow similar events of Pocahontas' life.
    I'm sure he will just find another trope to follow to the T. Whilst i do enjoy James Cameron and one of his movies literally holds my vote as "favourite movie" it seems in the last decade out side of his documentaries he has fallen into the trap of rehashing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    It did share a genre. Very much so. There are many movies which share the same ideas, that's why we have genres.
    Not, it didn't share a genre. Avatar was science Fiction, the other 2 were - Dances with Wolves: a Western and Pocahontas: a Romantic Drama. they shared a Trope.

trope
    trəʊp/Submit
    noun
    -a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
    -a significant or recurrent theme; a motif.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2016-04-29 at 12:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Lol Darth, you're working hard to bash a movie that you believe copied a story/plot (since you can't decide which one you believe it to be). The idea that both movies share is an entire genre of movie. So everything within that is copying, or maybe it's that each movie is unique in it's own right and people who can't enjoy something for what it is are going to bitch incessantly because there are similarities..
    lol thinking I am bashing a movies I like.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I'm sure he will just find another trope to follow to the T. Whilst i do enjoy James Cameron and one of his movies literally holds my vote as "favourite movie" it seems in the last decade out side of his documentaries he has fallen into the trap of rehashing.

- - - Updated - - -

Not, it didn't share a genre. Avatar was science Fiction, the other 2 were - Dances with Wolves: a Western and Pocahontas: a Romantic Drama. they shared a Trope.

trope
    trəʊp/Submit
    noun
    -a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
    -a significant or recurrent theme; a motif.
    It shared the sub-genre which was obviously meant. It's still not "exactly the same" just in space. The idea of native tribe conversion is very common. This doesn't mean every movie is copying another. It means they have an idea that is similar. I guess all games with similar ideas are the same? All books? Plays? Guess we shouldn't have any more art either with only people in it. It's all been done before and they'd just be copying the portraits of old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, I'm pretty much spot on, without an actual definition -

"The plot is the meat and bones of the story. It can be charted and outlined to highlight the critical events during a movie, book, or TV show. The plot is developed in order to create a better story.

The story is the idea, the general theme, and the loose interpretation of the event in its entirety. You can easily create the same story over and over, and adjust the plot in order to create differences. This happens all the time in TV series, and within genre movies and books."
    You know if you don't actually show your source, you are really bad.

http://www.differencebetween.net/mis...lot-and-story/

In the source, they describe story as being a "general theme or idea" as well as "details to make plot engaging" ... those two things are in fact contrary, meaning story has at least 2 definitions they are working with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I don't think you know what the word literally means.
    I don't think you understand why people use the word literally.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2016-04-29 at 12:34 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It shared the sub-genre which was obviously meant. It's still not "exactly the same" just in space. The idea of native tribe conversion is very common. This doesn't mean every movie is copying another. It means they have an idea that is similar. I guess all games with similar ideas are the same? All books? Plays? Guess we shouldn't have any more art either with only people in it. It's all been done before and they'd just be copying the portraits of old.
    I think you are still not understanding what a trope is.

Quote Originally Posted by battosi08 View Post
    What do you mean "We all know how that turned out for Jackson?" Wasnt the original LOTR trilogy shot all at once? Those wer fantastic! Only reason the hobbit trilogy was bad was cause it was stretched out to 3 movies when i could have been easily done in 2\
    It's not that they weren't excellent, it's the fact the guy was literally killing himself with the amount of effort he was putting into it.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2016-04-29 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I think you are still not understanding what a trope is.
    It's a recurring literary device. It is not an entire story or plot. A trope would be "Good people are attractive". It's the cliche's, not the "Military man goes to war, friend dies, military man kills entire army".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You know if you don't actually show your source, you are really bad.

http://www.differencebetween.net/mis...lot-and-story/

In the source, they describe story as being a "general theme or idea" as well as "details to make plot engaging" ... those two things are in fact contrary, meaning story has at least 2 definitions they are working with.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you understand why people use the word literally.
    That source says exactly what she has said the whole time. Are you confused or just a little on the trolly side?

People are going to be sick of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That source says exactly what she has said the whole time. Are you confused or just a little on the trolly side?
    "The story is the idea, the general theme, and the loose interpretation of the event in its entirety." - What they quoted from the source. General theme, loose interpretation of the event in its entirety.

"Developing a story involves using creative thought, and adding in details, character traits, and embellishments to make the story more engaging." - involves details which they seem.

Not trolly. Either way it actually proves that Avatar and Fern Gully literally have the same story (general theme of Man vs Nature) and the same/extremely similar plot points.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    James Cameron is very much in love with the world he created. We'll see if people are as in love with it as we move through 10+ hours more of movies.
    People have stomached hours of Star Wars, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    People have stomached hours of Star Wars, right?
    The Star Wars setting had potential for a near-infinite development of new plot lines and worlds, and they did explore different plot lines and worlds.

The Avatar universe has no FTL, Pandora took decades for the terrans to set up a base on and so far the story takes place on Pandora alone (can't have much Avataring on other planets if Pandora is the only one so far, and considering that the sequels will include the cast of the original movie, there's no way humanity could colonize another world sufficiently enough to give us another planet to explore). That means Cameron has to explore what he already has: Earth (Crapsack cyberpunk industrial world), the interstellar ships (with a confined space it'd get old real fast), or most logically more Pandora. Yes, they can go to new biomes, but the core conflict will be the same; Navi vs Terrans, with maybe a Navi clan vs Navi clan or Terran civil war plot, or maybe an ancient Pandoran kaiju awakens and both have to unite against it, but the scope of possible stories they can tell given what the original laid out is limited without rectons or a time skip (which isn't happening thanks to everybody from the first moving come back, unless they are clone descendants...)

Now if this a Blade Runner sequel series, we wouldn't mind more industrial cities, because the series isn't about the world; it's about an investigation.

I haven't even seen the original yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    On the other hand, we'll finally get more traditional epic science fiction films again with aliens and such again! And more Avatar. traditional epic science fiction films!
    The word 'epic' has both completely and officially lost all meaning.

I thought this was referring to the Avatar the last Airbender movies.... thank god....

Deleted
    That isn't what the same story means. Same story means same general plot.
    Most stories can be broken down into the same plot, there are only 7 basic plots in the entirety of storytelling, every writer knows that.

And I really don't get why only Avatar seems to get this criticism leveled at it, it just comes off as really petty.

Deleted
    That sounds nice. Still enjoy watching Avatar once in a while.
    And it make sense considered that it mainly is a digital production - why not render several movies when you have Pandora, a shitload of Navi, and wildlife templates in the data base? It is more like making a expansion pack or a DLC from a existing data library.
    Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang) didn't die when he was impaled in Avatar apparently - maybe he was a Avatar?
    He was a awesome villain though, it's cool that he will return.

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    That sounds nice. Still enjoy watching Avatar once in a while.
    And it make sense considered that it mainly is a digital production - why not render several movies when you have Pandora, a shitload of Navi, and wildlife templates in the data base? It is more like making a expansion pack or a DLC from a existing data library.
    Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang) didn't die when he was impaled in Avatar apparently - maybe he was a Avatar?
    He was a awesome villain though, it's cool that he will return.
    Being impaled in the heart doesn't kill you; oxygen deprivation does. He passed out from blood loss. Terran forces would have taken at least a few minutes after his death to stand down and surrender, so there's a chance the terrains came for him while Ney'ri was distracted keeping Jake alive. It is also possible the AMP suit has emergancy medical technology that could at least preserve brain function until the terrans recovered him during the packup. If his body was recovered quickly enough he could have been saved before brain death, and the futuristic science fiction technology of the story could mitigate any brain damage (from short term oxygen deprivation) or replace destroyed organs (artificial heart and lungs). They don't need to necessarily say he was cloned to return.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2016-04-29 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Forgive any bad spelling; typing from phone which auto corrects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Most stories can be broken down into the same plot, there are only 7 basic plots in the entirety of storytelling, every writer knows that.

And I really don't get why only Avatar seems to get this criticism leveled at it, it just comes off as really petty.
    It doesn't, there are several others. The reason why Avatar gets it more often is some people think it was somehow original.
    –The Sith Code

Deleted
    It doesn't, there are several others. The reason why Avatar gets it more often is some people think it was somehow original.

I have never met anyone who called Avatar original. Being a good film doesn't mean that it has to be original. Nor does enjoying Avatar mean in someway that you think the story was original. And it doesn't need to be mentioned everytime someone says "Hey I liked Avatar", as if you're pointing out something brand new that only you've spotted. Thanks to South Park, everyone knows, the fact that it is Dances with Wolves/Fern Gully/Pocahontas in space is basically a meme at this point.

Even you say in your first post in the thread that you thought Avatar was cool, but you still had to bring it up. Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I have never met anyone who called Avatar original. Being a good film doesn't mean that it has to be original. Nor does enjoying Avatar mean in someway that you think the story was original. And it doesn't need to be mentioned everytime someone says "Hey I liked Avatar", as if you're pointing out something brand new that only you've spotted. Thanks to South Park, everyone knows, the fact that it is Dances with Wolves/Fern Gully/Pocahontas in space is basically a meme at this point.

Even you say in your first post in the thread that you thought Avatar was cool, but you still had to bring it up. Why?
    Because someone mentioned how it reminded them of Fern Gully and then started to argue it wasn't the same story.
    –The Sith Code