Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Any rank 2 and above society cannot be wiped out by anything less than another more advanced society hunting them to extinction, or a supernova-sized event, wiping out all life in multiple solar system at once.

Why, oh why do people think that looking for the leaking radiation of advanced societies is how to detect them??
    Any civilization advanced enough, to perform interstellar travel, would have been able to remove if not all, then most in-efficiencies. When youre flying around space you dont want a bloody power-leak..

Also, blackboxes doesnt make any sence for a type 3 society.. by defenition these guys make things on a galactic scale, dyson spheres are regular building projects and terraforming is a school project! Why would such a society need to hide?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I think it's more appropriate to start counting around Newton's time, so 400-500 years ago. His achievements alone have been integral to all physics advances since then, and all the technology that we've derived from those advances.
    I kinda agree, The invention of calculus is critical to everything in modern society.
    But we also see that technological and scientific progress is increasing at an exponential rate. The time between a theory is established and when its used in real life for something practical decreases.

In the last 100 (and 14-) years, we've made the first flight, discovered relativity, nuclear fission, landed on the moon, invented computers, made a permanent habitat in space, discovered quantum physics, invented the internet, and managed to push an insane amount of tech into relatively amall smartphones, and heck! Were close to using quantum physics to make even faster computers!
    The only downside is that the space stuff has slowed down considerably since the moon landing, but it seems like Mr. Musk might be able to kickstart that industry again all by himself so I think were good.

What Im saying is that all these things happened within the last 100 years.. one human lifespan, and this trend seems to be speeding up rather than slowing down, who knows what we might be doing in 100 years from now?
    We wont need 200 million years to reach rank 3, if we survive, we will change this galaxy in the next 1000 years.
    I've no idea what to write here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It's not possible for that to happen. None of the species that live and have ever lived on earth spanned more than a few hundred million years.
    Because if it hasnt happened on earth it cant happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Because if it hasnt happened on earth it cant happen?
    In the creationists minds, only earth exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    In the creationists minds, only earth exists.
    God I'd like to go there but I dont want to get banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    They probably felt it unwise to give machine guns to infants and cavemen like us.
    Well said.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov