Thread: Gsync question

10+ Year Old Account

Gsync question

Hey all
    I just bought a new Dell S2716DG gsync monitor. I can game fine with a 144hz refresh rate with gysnc now.

When Im not gaming, just messing around in windows, my monitor's refresh rate is at 59hz.
    Is there any reason to not set it to 100, 122, or even 144hz? Will this cause unnecessary hardware
    stress? Or anything else that may be detrimental?

I absolutely notice a difference when gaming above 60hz. But windows tasks, websurfing, reading, etc.. not really.

If it matters at all, a heavily overclocked 980ti is pushing the monitor along with Win10 Pro.
    Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's not really that much point imo to put it higher than that outside of gaming.
    And... oddly yes, it does cause unnecessary hardware stress for Nvidia cards, it's not the monitor that's going to have issues but your video card. Nvidia's Maxwell and Kepler can not maintain idle clock rates / 2D mode past 2560x1440@144Hz, the bandwidth is too much for it to stay in idle clock speeds. Therefore it just goes full ham and clocks up all the way to whatever you set it as. Nvidia's Manuel G confirmed it that's a design choice now (after repeatedly trying to fix it).
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...45009/#4845009

tl;dr, just put it at 120Hz or lower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very useful read, thank you.
    I'll just keep 2d desktop running at 60hz. 144 for blazing away in games