Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Would you beat the shit out of someone for taunting you in a game?

Long story short: There's a certain competitive fighting game among others I enjoy watching being played professionally. There is a dominant player who regularly wins most paid events he attends online and offline. This person has a distinct tendency to taunt his opponents through excessive in-game emotes or do unnecessary things like combos that go well past KO and disrespectful fatalities/super finishers. When recently asked in an interview why this person does this shit, he said that non-verbally, he wants to get into his opponent's head psychologically as much as possible to make them angrier and perform more poorly as it's been proven saltiness can weigh heavily on performance in these sort of games.

Despite this, I'm amazed for attending as many real life events as he does not one person has yet decided to attack him physically or just lose their marbles and do something similar. Maybe I assume people are just too unstable and they may be more restrained, but I don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a guess, but I'd assume most people don't want to try to commit a felony in front of a ton of witnesses over a video game.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-04-29 at 05:20 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

OP, seek professionally help.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? No, of course not.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Is this somekind of a joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

If you get tilted over a little bm, you deserve to lose. not that I condone bm, but you need to be able to focus through it.

I regularly beat people up that are better than me in video games. What is the problem here?

I used to think so, but then I turned 12.

No. It's part of the competition. Frustrating your opponent is an excellent strategy.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Long story short: There's a certain competitive fighting game among others I enjoy watching being played professionally. There is a dominant player who regularly wins most paid events he attends online and offline. This person has a distinct tendency to taunt his opponents through excessive in-game emotes or do unnecessary things like combos that go well past KO and disrespectful fatalities/super finishers. When recently asked in an interview why this person does this shit, he said that non-verbally, he wants to get into his opponent's head psychologically as much as possible to make them angrier and perform more poorly as it's been proven saltiness can weigh heavily on performance in these sort of games.

Despite this, I'm amazed for attending as many real life events as he does not one person has yet decided to attack him physically or just lose their marbles and do something similar. Maybe I assume people are just too unstable and they may be more restrained, but I don't know.
    I understand this tactics, and in a professional tournament, where the win at any cost is the goal, I suppose it can be effective and pretty annoying for the opponents.

However, I would never do that to anyone, in a tournament or not, and if someone did this to me and I felt I was getting angry, I would just quit the game. Most online games have an option to turn all those emotes though, the chat and such off, so it is hardly an unresolvable problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I am curious if said player would still win as much if he didn't BM. Now I question if such tactics should ever cause penalties in paid tournaments.

As for me? Naw. First time playing online games like CS 1.6 and Runescape, sure they bothered me a lot. Then I learned an amazing mental tactic: not giving a shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats up with esports players and not having an ounce of sportsmanship?

We used to say some foul shit on the football field but all of that stayed on the field, win or lose. Nowadays you beat someone in a damn LoL match and they start DMing you after the game...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I regularly beat people up that are better than me in video games. What is the problem here?
    Its funny when you put it that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being affected by such taunts indicate a very thin skin. Does not mean the offenders character is thin skinned generally but in that moment, it is.

Accepting the defeat, realizing their own mistakes and improving on them requires a strong character. I believe that gamer was one of the thin skinned guys in the past but he get through over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    only if it's a draenei.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    If you can't handle rage while playing videogames perhaps find some other hobby, like fishing or having cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Its funny when you put it that way.
    That's not a joke

Deleted
    If I were a raid boss, yes. Yes I would.

If you attack people physically over a game, you should'nt be playing the game in the first place.