Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Campaign demands FM radio on smartphones

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fm-r...coms-1.3577447

Your smartphone may include an FM radio chip but, chances are, it doesn't work.

Now, an online campaign has launched in Canada, putting pressure on telecoms and manufacturers to turn on the radio hidden in many cellphones. Titled, "free radio on my phone," the campaign says that most Android smartphones have a built-in FM receiver which doesn't require data or Wi-Fi to operate.

The U.S. arm of the campaign believes iPhones also have a built-in radio chip but that it can't be activated. Apple wouldn't confirm this detail. The radio chip in many Android phones also lies dormant. But the campaign says it can easily be activated — if telecom providers ask the manufacturers to do it. In Canada, however, most of the telecoms haven't made the move to get the radio turned on. They'd prefer that you stream your audio, depleting your phone's costly data plan, claims campaign organizer, Barry Rooke.

"They make a lot more money off of streaming radio or other sources through the data transfer," adds Rooke, who is executive director of the National Campus and Community Radio Association. Rooke's association, which is made up of member stations from across the country, created the campaign as an extension of one that broadcasters have already established in the U.S.

The Canadian campaign has received support from broadcasters like the CBC. Traditional radio is facing increased competition from podcasts, streaming and other digital media. Rooke says that smartphone radio has other advantages over streaming besides being free: it drains a lot less battery power and can prove vital during emergency situations, such as the Fort McMurray wildfire.

In times of crisis, cellular and internet service may be compromised and people often rely on local radio for emergency updates. "It's a safety issue," says Rooke.

The campaign also plans to target Apple and pressure the company to get the FM radio working in the iPhone. "IPhone is going to be a super challenge," says Rooke. He claims the company purposely makes the radio useless. Apple declined to comment to CBC News.
    The American program has already convinced four major wireless providers, including Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile, to unlock the FM radios in Android phones sold to customers. The U.S. movement is still trying to convince Apple and telecom giant Verizon to come on board.

"It's a process of education and friendly arm twisting," says Dennis Wharton with America's National Association of Broadcasters. The U.S. campaign has drawn support from National Public Radio and American Public Media, along with NextRadio, an app that provides FM radio on smartphones.

It has also received a plug from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. government's disaster aid agency. In a video recorded for the campaign, FEMA administrator Craig Fugate argued that radio is critical in a crisis. "When all else fails, you can still get broadcasters' information," said Fugate.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-05-16 at 12:02 AM.

Neat, my Xperia Z3 has it enabled, just need to use the packaged headphones which have an antenna built into it. Can't say I've ever used it, but it's there. Didn't realize it was "off" on other devices.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The old iPods had this feature actually. I always wondered by it was missing from the iPhone.

Deleted
    No thanks. That just makes us have to pay a fee for it here in Sweden.

they make apps for FM radio.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Honestly.

Wouldn't even use it. No way do I want to listen to shit local radio when I can stream stuff I actually enjoy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Neat, my Xperia Z3 has it enabled, just need to use the packaged headphones which have an antenna built into it. Can't say I've ever used it, but it's there. Didn't realize it was "off" on other devices.
    I have the compact Z3. Any headphones 3.5mm headphones will work as the antenna and this has been the usual way of having a component long enough to pick up FM in phones for a long time.

In other words you are required to have a device that plays the same 5 songs every hour.

Radio waves, hence requiring headphones to act as an antenna, is NOT THE SAME as Radio off the internet...

Big difference between the two.

One is 'freely' available without the need of a connection, the other requires a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They can't be used unless the FM chip works, as stated in the above article you didn't read.

Amusingly, Windows Phone's always had the FM Radio antenna and app, but just recently announced they won't be providing the app anymore for Win10.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

No thanks. I'd never buy a phone that has this feature activated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No thanks. I'd never buy a phone that has this feature activated.
    Eh? It's a radio ... its ancient technology available everywhere on the planet that is passive, extremely low energy, smaller than a penny on a circuit board and gives access to free content plus lifesaving emergency broadcast information at local or national level.

Since it is both passive and very low energy, it is also magnitudes safer to health than anything else on your phone.

So, why would you NOT buy a phone that has such a feature? (I assume you are not talking about paying more for it or explicitly choosing it over something else)

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never use it under normal circumstances because I hate FM radio, but I can see how it would be useful in an emergency. I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post

So, why would you NOT buy a phone that has such a feature? (I assume you are not talking about paying more for it or explicitly choosing it over something else)
    If I had to guess I would assume the poster whom you quoted is attempting to be edgy and cool by implying that they hate popular music played on the radio so much, that a feature that could play the radio would be bad enough to make them not want the device.

"ugh, I hate top 40! No way would I want MY phone to be able to play that shit."
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    FM still exists?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    That was my thought, I would stream it.

I guess it might be nice for an option.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    That was my thought, I would stream it.

I guess it might be nice for an option.
    I think the point is in severe weather or after a natural disaster you may not be able to stream it as streaming requires a wifi or cell signal.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I think the point is in severe weather or after a natural disaster you may not be able to stream it as streaming requires a wifi or cell signal.
    Doesn't even have to be that. Remember when just tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people tried to connect all at once on their mobile in New York during 9/11?