Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyone ever see a coywolf?

A coywolf is a newely evolved species that is derived from hybrids of wolves, coyotes and domestic dogs. They've been more successful than any of those canids due to their adaptability. They feed on anything from trash to insects to vegetables to animals as large as moose.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but I have seen a coquettish fox.

obviously someone has or they wouldn't have taken the picture.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Wolfote? 10chars

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wolfote? 10chars
    This is why we struggle with Hybrids.
    Not because it's tough - but because we can never agree on their names!

I think I've only ever seen like 8 dogs total in my whole life. (Not counting the internet, god forbid someone doesn't take a picture of their pet for the internet.)

Deleted
    Yeah, well, same shit happened with European wildcats (F. silvestris). Apparently they like to fuck common housecats, so last I read about it practically the whole population is hybridized.

Any link to a scientific source regarding this classification?

That's very interesting. I always wondered what kind of adaptations species evolve into to survive the damage humans do to the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonthor View Post
    That's very interesting. I always wondered what kind of adaptations species evolve into to survive the damage humans do to the environment.
    That is not evolving. It is simply cross-breeding. That's like saying mules evolved.

He's so cute
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    They're not their own species but they are recognized to exist.
    http://people.trentu.ca/~brentpatter...E_Jan27_10.pdf
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556088/

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're found in Arizona (I actually don't know) my 1st cousin probably has. He lives on a ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    He's so cute
    /agreed. Could this be the species to take over after humans are extinct?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Well, the following thinks it is a bit simple-minded: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899836/ but references: "Way JG, Rutledge L, Wheeldon T, White BN. Genetic characterization of eastern “coyotes” in eastern Massachusetts. Northeastern Naturalist. 2010;17:189–204." for the coywolf name

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    That is not evolving. It is simply cross-breeding. That's like saying mules evolved.
    They're evolving, they're really more than just hybrids at this point. They've interbred with other coywolves and given rise to offspring that are mostly coyote with a good amount of wolf blood and tiny pinch of domestic dogs.

Deleted
    Hope that guy pays his taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    They're evolving, they're really more than just hybrids at this point. They've interbred with other coywolves and given rise to offspring that are mostly coyote with a good amount of wolf blood and tiny pinch of domestic dogs.
    That is still not evolution. They are simply breeding with one another. Going forward they may evolve, but they did not come about via evolution.

That is still not evolution. They are simply breeding with one another. Going forward they may evolve, but they did not come about via evolution.
    It's more than just breeding with one another. This entire process is evolution. When hunters started persecuting wolves and clearing forests, coyotes started moving northeast and intereacting with the low population density of wolves and the dog part is given.

Evolution is based on a transfer of genes and adaptation.

Hybridization is part of evolution - they are not simply breeding, but replacing the original coyotes since they seem to be better adapted.