Thread: Professions...

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Professions...

So many new builds and info, but still not too much about professions..only thing we know is that you will get recipes with quests and that you can craft from level 1. But not too much info..

I thought they said they were excited about professions and that they will have a blog post about them etc. And that happened at blizzcon..

-will we still have 3 items limit?
    -is it going the same route "craft an item then upgrade it 5 times"?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    So many new builds and info, but still not too much about professions..only thing we know is that you will get recipes with quests and that you can craft from level 1. But not too much info..

I thought they said they were excited about professions and that they will have a blog post about them etc. And that happened at blizzcon..

-will we still have 3 items limit?
    -is it going the same route "craft an item then upgrade it 5 times"?
    Well, we know about Obliterum, you can also buy a book at max profession level which will save all your recipes and schematics if you want to change your profession and then come back to the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufix View Post
    Well, we know about Obliterum, you can also buy a book at max profession level which will save all your recipes and schematics if you want to change your profession and then come back to the current one.
    You get obliterum by "salvaging" crafted gear right? And then you use that to upgrade your crafting gear? Is there still the 3 item limit though? And if yes, does it apply to all items. I heard something that JC rings/necks will not count..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

When they talked about it at Blizzcon I expected a full revamping. Maybe we will know more in the coming months but I am very disappointed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    You get obliterum by "salvaging" crafted gear right? And then you use that to upgrade your crafting gear? Is there still the 3 item limit though? And if yes, does it apply to all items. I heard something that JC rings/necks will not count..
    The 3 item limit in WoD was complete bullshit, made crafting Rings a joke as a JC, who wants to buy rings? Everyone wants the Weapon, and the high value Pants/Chest/Helm. It was this way because all the good crafted stuff was level 91, thus you could use it to level up your character and they wanted to limit how much power you could have at any given moment. The ilvl of crafted goods was also really high, thus disallowing people from just buying their whole raid gear and blowing up Mythic. Thus, depending on how good the crafted item is, they will end up limiting it again, and that is kinda sad, especially since I'm JC, and Amulet + Rings sucks balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    When they talked about it at Blizzcon I expected a full revamping. Maybe we will know more in the coming months but I am very disappointed so far.
    I don't want to be the asshole here but I genuinely think that revamp got cut...

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I don't want to be the asshole here but I genuinely think that revamp got cut...
    Not really, professions changed a lot, there's profession-related questing, there's a new UI, there's a new way of learning and/or upgrading crafting recipes (quests). There's even prof RP.

Thats what I was expecting too...

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Not really, professions changed a lot, there's profession-related questing, there's a new UI, there's a new way of learning and/or upgrading crafting recipes (quests). There's even prof RP.
    What kind of quests is it? Collect x minerals to learn how to collect the next one? I am expecting epic quests to get unique recipes. Very rare mats that are challenging to get.

Upgrading crafting recipes? Are you talking about the 3 ranks? The more you collect that flower, the more you get per stack.

Sorry but these are minor changes from what I have seen in videos. Or maybe I am missing something.

What kind of quests is it? Collect x minerals to learn how to collect the next one? I am expecting epic quests to get unique recipes. Very rare mats that are challenging to get.

Upgrading crafting recipes? Are you talking about the 3 ranks? The more you collect that flower, the more you get per stack.

Sorry but these are minor changes from what I have seen in videos. Or maybe I am missing something.
    That's quite different from how it's now in WoD, profs have much better UI, plus Legion system is more RPG-ish. So it's a revamp, I dun know what you expected, crafting is crafting, it's pretty much impossible to drastically change it.

Deleted
    This^

WoD's professions system wasnt that good imo, I preferred the TBC system, new recipes as raid drops or new faction reps. it feels awkward when a patch hits and suddenly you can easily get new recipes, it should feel loke a mmo,not a facebook game

Quote Originally Posted by Dazgaraspa View Post
    This^

WoD's professions system wasnt that good imo, I preferred the TBC system, new recipes as raid drops or new faction reps. it feels awkward when a patch hits and suddenly you can easily get new recipes, it should feel loke a mmo,not a facebook game
    Huh? Legion system is not like WoD's. there is no recipes at all that you can learn from vendor. All recipes are from quests (and by all i mean ALL. Every single recipe is new quest, sometimes even quest chain). Epic ones required you to kill a raid boss as requirement for example.
    Last edited by lukoil; 2016-05-03 at 11:55 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive only just started leveling leatherworking on alpha, i have not come close to maxxing out the profession yet, but i will lay out what ive seen so far.

1) As was mentioned above, there are no trainer taught recipes.
    2) Every recipe is learned from a quest.
    3) Every recipe is upgradeable twice - which is to say, every recipe has three "power levels".
    4) The upgrades are also earned from quests.
    5) The more powerful the upgrade, the more difficult the quest.
    6) These quests are designed to get people out in the world, running about all over the place.
    7) Early recipes at least, require you to perform several steps in transforming raw materials (pelts in this case) into useful materials for crafting. For example, you have to tan the pelts, then cut them into strips and whatnot for making actual pieces of armor. You arent magically taking a raw, gore drenched pelt and making it a piece of magical armor. Having said that, dont get your hopes up for anything resembling a deep, skill-based, meaningful crafting system. It isnt going to happen.
    8) Crafting stations are back.

What was "cut"? Everything they talked about at Blizzcon is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Ive only just started leveling leatherworking on alpha, i have not come close to maxxing out the profession yet, but i will lay out what ive seen so far.

1) As was mentioned above, there are no trainer taught recipes.
    2) Every recipe is learned from a quest.
    3) Every recipe is upgradeable twice - which is to say, every recipe has three "power levels".
    4) The upgrades are also earned from quests.
    5) The more powerful the upgrade, the more difficult the quest.
    6) These quests are designed to get people out in the world, running about all over the place.
    7) Early recipes at least, require you to perform several steps in transforming raw materials (pelts in this case) into useful materials for crafting. For example, you have to tan the pelts, then cut them into strips and whatnot for making actual pieces of armor. You arent magically taking a raw, gore drenched pelt and making it a piece of magical armor. Having said that, dont get your hopes up for anything resembling a deep, skill-based, meaningful crafting system. It isnt going to happen.
    8) Crafting stations are back.
    thanks for the info. Once you are in alpha, can you check if there is a 3 item limit as in WoD? and if yes, does it apply to all crafting gear, or jewelry (rings/neck) are excluded?

There's actually a little minigame where you chisel a faceted gem out of a rocky gem clump to learn new cuts. They've really gone above and beyond with profs.

I didn't like the WoD crafted limit and it definitely did just turn into "only craft the items with the highest stat budget," but it was far better than what came before and crafted gear was valuable for most of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by lukoil View Post
    Huh? Legion system is not like WoD's. there is no recipes at all that you can learn from vendor. All recipes are from quests (and by all i mean ALL. Every single recipe is new quest, sometimes even quest chain). Epic ones required you to kill a raid boss as requirement for example.
    Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm really curious to know whether the epic recipes are gated behind raids, because this would be a bit of a return to the days when no good crafting recipes were gained outside raiding, as drops. And that would suck. Especially if it would require the non-LFR difficulties to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandork View Post
    The 3 item limit in WoD was complete bullshit, made crafting Rings a joke as a JC, who wants to buy rings? Everyone wants the Weapon, and the high value Pants/Chest/Helm.
    I always bought 705 weapon, and then Ring and Wrists, since the other items were heirloom.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Grandork View Post
    The 3 item limit in WoD was complete bullshit, made crafting Rings a joke as a JC, who wants to buy rings? Everyone wants the Weapon, and the high value Pants/Chest/Helm.
    Flawed argument. As a raider I did use rings and necks across my characters, seeing as those where typically the ones that came with substandard stats. I never bought or crafted a single weapon since it wasn't an upgrade over what dungeons gave at launch, and it was steadily worse than what raids gave. Pants/Chest/Helm/Shoulders/Gloves come in tier sets so they're not very high selling items. That basically leaves boots, belt, bracers, rings, necks and cloaks. And out of those the first two were BoE drops in raids and in general the first 3 are limited by the armor type (so a profession only has a limited "clientele") while the last 3 aren't, so even if it wasn't for raiding (since raiders are not in the majority) the last 3 have a much wider audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Flawed argument. As a raider I did use rings and necks across my characters, seeing as those where typically the ones that came with substandard stats. I never bought or crafted a single weapon since it wasn't an upgrade over what dungeons gave at launch, and it was steadily worse than what raids gave. Pants/Chest/Helm/Shoulders/Gloves come in tier sets so they're not very high selling items. That basically leaves boots, belt, bracers, rings, necks and cloaks. And out of those the first two were BoE drops in raids and in general the first 3 are limited by the armor type (so a profession only has a limited "clientele") while the last 3 aren't, so even if it wasn't for raiding (since raiders are not in the majority) the last 3 have a much wider audience.
    Then why rings and necks were sold at almost vendor price?